Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
:deathclaw:

It's a testament to FNV's writing that even bigots and narrow-minded idiots can appreciate it

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

It's a testament to FNV's writing that even bigots and narrow-minded idiots can appreciate it
It's just like what Warren Spector talked about with Deus Ex: you present the story in a way that both parties think you're catering to them.
Warren Spector is doing a bit of revisionist history there. What they did when they made Deus Ex, being the soy-liberals they actually are, was to hoover up all conspiracy theories and crazy shit they found on the late 90s internet and boil it together into this batshit crazy fantastical plot, i.e "lol dudes what if there was a world where ALL the conspiracy theories were TRUE?"

—— DUUUUDE that's so cool, let's make that the plot of the game lmao, crazy ultra-rightwing nuts might even like it lulz

As the years go by the various "kooky" theories in Deus Ex start to look less and less "out there" and all too familiar. Then Warren Spector starts talking like they totally always intended this. Give me a break.

In 2023 the number of conspiracy theories and dystopian factors found in Deus Ex that seem "crazy coo-coo out there" are becoming fewer and fewer. That should not have happened, not if it was just crazy conspiracy theories. That's concerning.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a weird stylistic choice. Why promote the game setting as an old school anime when the game setting is not an old school anime?

Still, nice to see some setting sketches of the "big three" major cultures.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So the first cartoon features a black mutt dude.
The second one features some mutt manchild EDIT holy shit the second one is a female. They have the stories in the description. Notice how the whore saves the old white dude from surprise surprise an evil white dude.
The third one features some non binary / female (I cant tell) teaching the impulsive evil white dude between right and wrong while saving some guy.

I remember when WoW started doing these cartoons. It was decline then and decline now.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
Just briefly watched a random part of the video. That person seems incredibly unstable. On edge, ready to have a meltdown at any moment.
I know. this person looks more suited to pushing a shopping cart around the city, collecting bottles and cans while yelling at strangers

Cross

Arcane

It's just like what Warren Spector talked about with Deus Ex: you present the story in a way that both parties think you're catering to them.
Warren Spector is doing a bit of revisionist history there. What they did when they made Deus Ex, being the soy-liberals they actually are, was to hoover up all conspiracy theories and crazy shit they found on the late 90s internet and boil it together into this batshit crazy fantastical plot, i.e "lol dudes what if there was a world where ALL the conspiracy theories were TRUE?"

—— DUUUUDE that's so cool, let's make that the plot of the game lmao, crazy ultra-rightwing nuts might even like it lulz

As the years go by the various "kooky" theories in Deus Ex start to look less and less "out there" and all too familiar. Then Warren Spector starts talking like they totally always intended this. Give me a break.

In 2023 the number of conspiracy theories and dystopian factors found in Deus Ex that seem "crazy coo-coo out there" are becoming fewer and fewer. That should not have happened, not if it was just crazy conspiracy theories. That's concerning.
Warren Spector doesn't seem to want to take credit for the accuracy of Deus Ex's predictions. Like the obedient liberal boomer he is, he has since denounced Deus Ex for its wrongthink and dangerous conspiracy theories.

https://kotaku.com/warren-spector-thinks-deus-ex-is-too-real-for-2021-1846479651

“Interestingly, I’m not sure I’d make Deus Ex today. The conspiracy theories we wrote about are now part of the real world. I don’t want to support that.”

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These were so boring that I started from the third one and couldn't bring myself to start the first.
That was my initial reaction, but after flipping through and seeing nothing of interest I ended up watching all three, and enjoyed them as "vibe setting" even with an almost total lack of narrative. Still definitely think this was a weird choice.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The videos truly are horribly scripted and animated. Not sure what the point was to release this shit, maybe to try and steal a bit of BG3's thunder? For a game releasing in little more than a month, their PR has been abysmal.

Moink

Cipher
Really blueballing players by showing mechs in the animated trailer and not letting you have any land vehicles in game.

The videos truly are horribly scripted and animated. Not sure what the point was to release this shit, maybe to try and steal a bit of BG3's thunder? For a game releasing in little more than a month, their PR has been abysmal.
The marketing has been all over the place, they had the whole "ask the team" stuff that lasted like 1 episode and a few others that never went anywhere either, my guess is the delay screwed up the planned schedule and now they've had to wing it for a year.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Beht is just trying to see if they can get a bit of what Edgerunners did for CP2077.
CP2077 had a cool cyberpunk setting. What does Starfield have to pull people in? My impression was it's gonna be pretty generic sci-fi
BG3's setting is also generic as fuck, but even so Larian is managing to sell it as the biggest and bestest rpg ever made, and people are crazy with hype.

Larian managed to capture the zeitgeist, while Bethesda seems to be floundering with no clear direction... They even went as far as saying that only Tod can talk about the game.

Todd is the master chief hypeman that can make people buy Skyrim several times. I would shut up and let him speak too.

They describe the setting as "NASA-punk", which they came up with but from what we've seen it means somewhat realistic looking technology from present/near future. We don't know much about the setting itself other than the factions, the general frontier/settler vibe and the ancient alien tech that looks like magic.

Starfield is set in an area that extends outward from the Solar System for approximately 50 light-years called The Settled Systems. Around the year 2310, the two largest factions in the game, the United Colonies and Freestar Collective, engaged in a conflict called the Colony War. The game takes place 20 years after the war, with the major factions enjoying an uneasy peace. The player assumes the role of a customizable character who is a member of Constellation, an organization of space explorers.

Shaki

Arbiter
They describe the setting as "NASA-punk", which they came up with but from what we've seen it means somewhat realistic looking technology from present/near future.

I bet this "realistic" setting exists purely to be able to fit as many virtue signal moments as possible - there is no longer any need to wonder how to show in a roundabout way that the bad people are christian straight wypipo, and the heroes fighting against them are rainbow trannies, now they can unapologetically just say all this shit straight up, because it's a "realistic" setting that is supposed to be close to our current world. I'm 100% sure the game will be absolutely full of most blatant woke propaganda ever seen in gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom