Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hopefully just as there was a mod to remove female bandits from skyrim[sadly you couldn't remove certain female characters like legate rikke, or other woman warriors] there will be a mod making all characters hyperboreans. The biggest obstacle to replacing models in earlier bethesturd games was that the voice acting would not match the new gender, but now with the ai advances, you can just rerecord lines and be done with it. It would be of course a shitton of work, most likely for no benefit, as such mod could be easily taken off from nexus or other website where you could monetize your gargantuan work.

EvilWolf

Learned
Hopefully just as there was a mod to remove female bandits from skyrim[sadly you couldn't remove certain female characters like legate rikke, or other woman warriors] there will be a mod making all characters hyperboreans. The biggest obstacle to replacing models in earlier bethesturd games was that the voice acting would not match the new gender, but now with the ai advances, you can just rerecord lines and be done with it. It would be of course a shitton of work, most likely for no benefit, as such mod could be easily taken off from nexus or other website where you could monetize your gargantuan work.
Couldnt you just replace the female bandit voice files with the male bandit's?

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Couldnt you just replace the female bandit voice files with the male bandit's?

This works for non unique NPCs and yes it does that automatically, because you populate leveled list with male bandits only. As for unique chars like Rikke you can't do that obviously, as there are no one to replace her with and her unique voice lines.

dsndo

Educated
It's not that Starfield will be woke by having literal trannies gyrating all over your flight deck, it will be woke in the sense that neither sex nor race matters in any meaningful sense. These are just costumes you choose during character creation. If you have a mercenary company or fighter pilot squadron that isn't 95% men with testosterone then the setting fails to convince me that this is a real world populated by actual humans. You can already see this with the trailer they showed. Pirates, underworld gangs, secret cults and space raiders all have an even 50/50 male-female split and they are all as diverse as a stock photo of a corporate boardroom. Not one identifiable ethnic group has been unaccounted for and it makes all factions look the same. You can only get away with this generic casting approach if you have actually well developed and acted characters like in RDR2.

The reason why games like Vampire the Masquerade have memorable factions is because they were actual FACTIONS. People aligned to a common goal by a common vision. The asian vampires were all asian. The aristocratic vampires were all Aryans with appropriate voice actors. The Nosferatus were all hideous outcasts. The factions were believable.

All criminal gangs in the real world organize themselves by ethnicity without exception. All cults as well. Constellation doesn't remind me of a real space exploration organization. It looks like a handful of cosplaying reddit dorks that just happen to be milling about in the same room at the same time. I can already tell that while I will have a handful of memorable hours boarding ships and exterminating their crews I will not remember a single Starfield character or quest in 5 years time. Just like I can't name a single Skyrim character by name despite putting about a 100 hours into that game.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yes wokeness is just an easy indicator that the game will be shallow, vapid and without coherence and feeling of being grounded up instead of complete fiction. The only woke crowd that could make something mechanically interesting are autist trannies doing niche games, but then again, they usually overdo it and the autism min-max is so strong that it completely decouple from the worldbuilding or overall game vision[again the problem with coherence and fiction], and since its niche game you can't expect any AAA or even AA game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gathering in racist cliques is the only thing that makes characters memorable? Ummmmm okay that's a hot take I haven't seen before.
It's the only thing that makes this forum memorable.
Codex being Nazis is certainly a hot meme ..... but the most memorable characters here aren't the racists. Those all kind of blend together after a while.

EvilWolf

Learned
Gathering in racist cliques is the only thing that makes characters memorable? Ummmmm okay that's a hot take I haven't seen before.
He was talking about the fact that 99% of criminal organizations in real life are racially homogenous. It isn't necessarily about race, it's about culture. Organizations excel when everyone is on the same page culturally and no one is having to have their hand held to fit in.

Frozen

Arcane
I don't know why people are surprised.

Everyone looked like Mexicans way back in Fallout 4

It's not woke, it's a feature.

Frozen

Arcane
Even just glancing at the NPC's in Starfield should be concerning for anyone worried about an agenda, it being woke, pandering etc. The descriptions will be hidden in case any of you want to find out all about how these clowns fit into the game world on your own. I know quite a few of you actually looking forward to these types of NPC's.

Kibwe Ikande is a commander of the United Colonies faction, found aboard the UC Vigilance on the command deck. He is this games version of Ralof/Hadvar. You will see this guys ugly mug everytime you make a new character and more down the road.

starfield-kibwe-ikande-550x309.jpg

Piracy once ran through Vlad’s veins, but something made him turn away from a life of crime, and join the Constellation faction. It’s unclear at this point if Vlad has some connection to the Crimson Fleet faction, but his previous life could mean he left. He is also the strongest member of Constellation. What a surprise, this is the "strongest" member of your crew. Can you even say no to these bums joining your crew? Can you make your own crew members? I hope so.

starfield-vlad-550x309.jpg

Here is Barrett. A companion, having access to higher food recipes, boosting your damage against robots, and improving your ship’s weapons and designs. He is also the Spacefarer’s first contact with the Constellation faction following the player’s discovery of an Artifact. Fallout 4, the game everyone shits on here (except me and a couple others) had better companions than this. Is this Starfields, MacReady? At least MacReady didn't look like a turd in a suit

starfield-barrett-550x309.jpg

This is John Tuala, a Lieutenant of the United Colonies faction, and a possible recruitment agent for the Vanguard. What the fuck is this? Looks like some indie pro wrestler who headbutts coconuts.

starfield-john-tuala-550x309.jpg

An average quest giver in Starfield. I present, Markieff Sunderland. He needs help with his beans as he works at a restauraunt. Maybe some evil white gang stole his beans! There was one Redguard quest giver in Skyrim. I am betting this game won't only have one single Space Redguard giving out quests, but a whole bunch of them.

starfield-markieff-sunderland-550x309.jpg

Here is Noel. She is a gifted scientist of the Constellation faction, and a potential addition to your crew. Who else would be a "gifted scientist"? Certainly not a white dude or an asian man? Has to be some ultra mutt

starfield-noel-550x309.jpg

Here is the head of the Constellation faction (the faction the player is involved in) Sarah Morgan. An ex-soldier and adventurer, Sarah’s primary interest is in finding the Artifacts scattered throughout the Settled Systems. There is no way this faction could be led by a man. It's far to important. I can 100% guarantee she will talk down to the player character and quesiton most decisions you make.

starfield-sarah-morgan-550x309.jpg

The three offical cartoons posted today were also alarming to anyone who is concerned about Starfield being woke. I explained why a page or two back.

MV5BZjFkYTU2ODctNTQ4MS00YzRjLWE2M2YtM2U0NzUzMmIwMzRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This one doesn't look bad. Low if any uncanny valley.
This one looks somewhat bad but mostly due to his misshapen arm. The face itself is quite good (for Bethesda).

This one, other than the ridiculous moustache, isn't bad, either. He has a rather expressive look on his face, even behind the helmet's face shield.

This one is almost Oblivion-level bad.

This one is even worse.

Wait, no, THIS one is worse.

Is this even from Starfield? It looks like it's from TOW. Terrible.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
  • Programmers: Think about the wonders that AI can do for scientific and economic advancement!
  • Users: Lol memes

Kind of like Betheseda games tbh.

• Programmers: Think about how much fun they'll have exploring a vast cosmos!
  • Players: Lol space tits.

Modron

Arcane
The efforts to make her less black made her look more like a tranny. On the other hand, the previous model certainly could have used some eyebrows.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
:bioware:"In the future, all people will be vague shades of brown because we finally overcame racism and everyone got mixed race heritage! One race, the human race!"

Every NPC:
1690452357910.png

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
"There's too many black people in this game." I agree, but this is a problem you can easily correct. Just install the "kill any NPC" mode that will inevitably come out, and go to town. Space will be Aryan, brothers.

Jason Bright

Educated
It's not that Starfield will be woke by having literal trannies gyrating all over your flight deck, it will be woke in the sense that neither sex nor race matters in any meaningful sense. These are just costumes you choose during character creation. If you have a mercenary company or fighter pilot squadron that isn't 95% men with testosterone then the setting fails to convince me that this is a real world populated by actual humans. You can already see this with the trailer they showed. Pirates, underworld gangs, secret cults and space raiders all have an even 50/50 male-female split and they are all as diverse as a stock photo of a corporate boardroom. Not one identifiable ethnic group has been unaccounted for and it makes all factions look the same. You can only get away with this generic casting approach if you have actually well developed and acted characters like in RDR2.

The reason why games like Vampire the Masquerade have memorable factions is because they were actual FACTIONS. People aligned to a common goal by a common vision. The asian vampires were all asian. The aristocratic vampires were all Aryans with appropriate voice actors. The Nosferatus were all hideous outcasts. The factions were believable.

All criminal gangs in the real world organize themselves by ethnicity without exception. All cults as well. Constellation doesn't remind me of a real space exploration organization. It looks like a handful of cosplaying reddit dorks that just happen to be milling about in the same room at the same time. I can already tell that while I will have a handful of memorable hours boarding ships and exterminating their crews I will not remember a single Starfield character or quest in 5 years time. Just like I can't name a single Skyrim character by name despite putting about a 100 hours into that game.
This was the case as far back as New Vegas.
Not disagreeing, just pointing out that this anti-verisimilitude plagues that game also.

Gerrard

Arcane
Maybe, Bethesda is usually not completely gonzo about this sort of stuff as other companies, but Skyrim is from 2011 and according to the Skullgirl guys that was a different era entirely, so who knows. Thus far it amounted to "the guns are blocky because they have to work on space".

Bit bigger:

Fzpd5JJWwAAackh

They're going with 11mm on the rifle, which is in the balllpark of .45 ACP. The racist shotgun (middle right) uses 15x25mm shells, which doesn't say a lot to me. Also the Coachman shotgun reminds me of the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun from New Vegas.

It is the year 2330.
Interstellar travel.
Still using a sawn off shotgun.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You are looking at a wrong angle, games with "racist cliques" can be as shitty as any other game but if certain basic human nature things like ethinic based tribalism cant be explored in fiction because they are taboo for bored middle class San Francisco muppets, the more taboo things there are, the less you can talk about relevant shit to the point where every character is a cosmopolitan muppet from San Francisco and gang members aren't cosmopolitan muppets from San Francisco.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom