Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Still haven't ordered an SSD for Todd's game, I'm too lazy to even do that.
Recommend me a good, but not overpriced, disk for HUEG modern games with big loading screens.

Anything Samsung. On Amazon there is a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO internal SSD for $110 (USD). If your board has it, then you should consider a Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe (it's $120 USD) Judging from your activities on the BG3 thread though, I suspect most of you money will be spent on lube and dildo's as you replay the bestiality scene over and over.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe
PCI-E is the slot, and I have such a port. NVM-E is what, a protocol? How do I check if I support that on my motherboard?
I have this shit https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/551/ROG Maximus VII Hero/

bestiality
very

Stick with an SSD

The main part I noticed people struggle with is at 4:38 of this video (getting your pc to recognize the drive post install). If you have any experience with installing drives then this is not needed. But I thought this video would be helpful just in case.

timestamped

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
2024 Starfield is going to be far better than 2023 Starfield. As much as I want to be hyped for this game, we all know it won't actually be good until mods are floating around for bugfixes/balance/etc.

welly321

Scholar
PCI-E is the slot, and I have such a port. NVM-E is what, a protocol? How do I check if I support that on my motherboard?
I have this shit https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/551/ROG Maximus VII Hero/

bestiality
very

bestiality
very
That mobo should support an m2 NVME ssd. I would get that. The one caveat is if you are planning to use it as a boot drive, you might need to do some extra stuff like loading the NVME driver before installing windows.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Getting this thread back on track with a glorious picture of Todd Howard.

FVppa76XoAM332E

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tell more more of those sweet little lies, Todd.
Concerning to see how hard they're pushing the "temper your expectations" line.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Concerning to see how hard they're pushing the "temper your expectations" line.

I remember Sean Murray going around telling all kinds of tall tales about NMS. He was even on one of thos terrible late night shows spreading his lies. The disastrous launch of NMS combined with the years upon years of grinding work Sean and his crew had to do to save face was really something to behold. I would imagine Bethesda would like to avoid a circumstance similar to that. I don't think they much care for hard work or even making games anymore with as long as they have been twiddling their thumbs since Fallout 4 released.

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Feels like they simply got lost for a few years making a realistic space simulator... And then realized far too late into development that they forgot to also make a game.

Going to be a lot of regurgitated Fallout 4, but space themed. That's my guess

Ulysa

Scholar
I will never be able to hate Bethesda. It's too late for me.
I played all their stuff, yes, even Fallout Online and fuckit I DID LIKE IT, I CONFESS.
And I am tired of hiding it.
I love you Todd.
:despair:

soulburner

Cipher
sDjV6ZG.png

You have an "m2" port on your motherboard, however it's only PCI-E 2.0 x2, if I recall correctly, so it will be a big bottleneck, making an nVME drive perform like a SATA SSD (which is still amazingly fast when compared to an HDD). But it's convenient: a tiny PCB inserted directly to the motherboard without any cable management - the only problem you may face is not having the tiny screw you probably threw away with the motherboard's box. Windows 10+ should work fine without any additional drivers, but cloning your current HDD setup might not boot (if you like to experiment, you can try and it might just work). Installing Windows from scratch is generally not a bad thing to do every once in a while, anyway.

I would recommend something cheaper than a Samsung (due to that bottleneck), just look out for models with QLC memory chips because these can slow down to a crawl once their dynamic buffer is filled (below HDD write speed, like my Crucial P2 1 TB which can write about 30 GB and then drops to ~60 MB/s, so a good fibre connection can clog it). I won't recommend a specific model, just avoid QLC and anything higher than PCI-E 3.0.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I won't recommend a specific model, just avoid QLC and anything higher than PCI-E 3.0.
Already ordered the PCIe 4.0, since I have a discount at a store that sells it here. Oh well, I'll get to keep it if I upgrade mobo.
Also that port is right under the big CPU heat sink, I hope I can fit it there without it making contact.

soulburner

Cipher
I won't recommend a specific model, just avoid QLC and anything higher than PCI-E 3.0.
Already ordered the PCIe 4.0, since I have a discount at a store that sells it here. Oh well, I'll get to keep it if I upgrade mobo.
Also that port is right under the big CPU heat sink, I hope I can fit it there without it making contact.
Ok, if you plan to upgrade then it's fine.
There should be no contact with the CPU heatsink, however it might be tricky to install the SSD without removing it first.

Aphex81

Scholar
So over the next month we will get BG3, Starfield, Armored Core and Elden Ring DLC on the horizon. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Robotigan

Learned
Gathering in racist cliques is the only thing that makes characters memorable? Ummmmm okay that's a hot take I haven't seen before.
It's the only thing that makes this forum memorable.
Codex being Nazis is certainly a hot meme ..... but the most memorable characters here aren't the racists. Those all kind of blend together after a while.
They're slavs who are insecure because the real Nazis didn't consider them white enough. Some historians describe the Eastern Front as the largest negging operation in recorded history.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Already ordered the PCIe 4.0
It'll still work, but obviously you won't get the performance benefits of it being PCI-e 4.0. It doesn't harm the drive at all.

Your biggest challenge is going to be physically mounting it. If you're lucky, the correct metal post is already in place in the "2280" position, and you're just going to need -- as already mentioned above -- the correct (tiny) screw to hold it in place. If you don't have it, you may have to get creative, but do NOT just let the thing sit in the slot without the mounting screw. It could fall out while your system is on and really fuck something up.

Once the drive is mounted, as long as you don't intend on using it as your Windows boot volume, all you have to do is to go into Computer Management then Disk Management from there. You'll get a prompt asking you if you want to initialize the drive, then you just have to perform a Quick format on it. Ready to use.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Already ordered the PCIe 4.0
It'll still work, but obviously you won't get the performance benefits of it being PCI-e 4.0. It doesn't harm the drive at all.

Your biggest challenge is going to be physically mounting it. If you're lucky, the correct metal post is already in place in the "2280" position, and you're just going to need -- as already mentioned above -- the correct (tiny) screw to hold it in place. If you don't have it, you may have to get creative, but do NOT just let the thing sit in the slot without the mounting screw. It could fall out while your system is on and really fuck something up.

Once the drive is mounted, as long as you don't intend on using it as your Windows boot volume, all you have to do is to go into Computer Management then Disk Management from there. You'll get a prompt asking you if you want to initialize the drive, then you just have to perform a Quick format on it. Ready to use.
Protip: Keep your motherboard box when building a new PC and throw all extra screws and such in there. The screws for m.2 drives will already be in the box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom