Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Puukko

Arcane
I just want some physics simulation and an outfit or three and I am good.

:M

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Massive autism: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EmbmCwL3gJqKX1ul4radDpYYdm9usnvcdhSdmO667QI/

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-staggerin...as-been-assembled-by-one-determined-superfan/

A staggering 1,000 pages of Starfield history has been assembled by one determined superfan​

Clocking in at over 86,000 words, this compendium is a hugely detailed dive into Starfield's pre-release media.

Things have been getting a little weird on the Starfield subreddit recently—players assembling their own spaceships from paper-clipping style cutouts, others desperately trying to find spoons in gameplay trailers—but one staggering feat dropped on the front page yesterday that's left me speechless.

A user by the name of Gokamo has assembled a 1,000 page document on the game, titled: "An Attempted Complete Starfield Compendium, by Gokamo (god help me)". One might think an entire novel's worth of info on an unreleased game is overkill—but Gokamo's created a seriously impressive dive into Starfield's development lore, dating back to the game's reveal in 2018.

The compendium goes through several "arcs". The first arc alone covers the initial announcement 5 years ago, as well as some leaks, a ship customisation survey, the first episodes of "Into the Starfield", a Reddit Q&A from 2021, and more.

The rest is a chronological archive of Starfield's long voyage through development deep space: concept art, more leaks, more trailers, more interviews and directs, coverage of skills and story aspects—it's basically all here. In a section named "Why type all this?" Gokamo goes into their inspiration.

"When Oblivion was released, my father got the prima strategy guide gifted to him [...] I remember flipping through that massive tome and being awed by the sheer amount of things and pictures it contained. When I finally was able to get out of the sewers, and was greeted with the view of ayleid ruins across a lake with that peaceful music playing, it felt unreal. It was the first game that felt like another world that truly existed."

"I've finished all of Bethesda’s games now since Morrowind, and there is an underlying formula there with all of them that make them feel special to me. [...] To say that I am a massive space geek would be an understatement, so a Bethesda game in space seemed like a wild unrealistic dream."

"For Fallout 4, I remember poring over pre-release information and making wildly inaccurate predictions. Those ideas are lost to time now, so for this game I wanted to catalogue how the community has been feeling on this entire journey."

This tome didn't just drop out of orbit and onto our laps—Gokamo's been working on it for at least a year, gradually adding more pages until they'd assembled the novel-sized archive we've been handed.

It's a smashingly detailed resource, and a heartwarming reminder of the impact that games can have on people's lives. It also makes me want Starfield to come out already so that poor Gokamo can take a break from all this compiling, and get out into the universe.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Bethesda are total sellouts. But Larian sold out better and more accurately.

Well done Larian.

Sold out to whom? The bearfucker lobby?
They sold out to the zoomers while throwing BG fans under the bus.

Adoring fan references and a Starfield Xbox controller is so 2008. Should have done alien fucking or something.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Massive autism: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EmbmCwL3gJqKX1ul4radDpYYdm9usnvcdhSdmO667QI/

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-staggerin...as-been-assembled-by-one-determined-superfan/

A staggering 1,000 pages of Starfield history has been assembled by one determined superfan​

Clocking in at over 86,000 words, this compendium is a hugely detailed dive into Starfield's pre-release media.

Things have been getting a little weird on the Starfield subreddit recently—players assembling their own spaceships from paper-clipping style cutouts, others desperately trying to find spoons in gameplay trailers—but one staggering feat dropped on the front page yesterday that's left me speechless.

A user by the name of Gokamo has assembled a 1,000 page document on the game, titled: "An Attempted Complete Starfield Compendium, by Gokamo (god help me)". One might think an entire novel's worth of info on an unreleased game is overkill—but Gokamo's created a seriously impressive dive into Starfield's development lore, dating back to the game's reveal in 2018.

The compendium goes through several "arcs". The first arc alone covers the initial announcement 5 years ago, as well as some leaks, a ship customisation survey, the first episodes of "Into the Starfield", a Reddit Q&A from 2021, and more.

The rest is a chronological archive of Starfield's long voyage through development deep space: concept art, more leaks, more trailers, more interviews and directs, coverage of skills and story aspects—it's basically all here. In a section named "Why type all this?" Gokamo goes into their inspiration.

"When Oblivion was released, my father got the prima strategy guide gifted to him [...] I remember flipping through that massive tome and being awed by the sheer amount of things and pictures it contained. When I finally was able to get out of the sewers, and was greeted with the view of ayleid ruins across a lake with that peaceful music playing, it felt unreal. It was the first game that felt like another world that truly existed."

"I've finished all of Bethesda’s games now since Morrowind, and there is an underlying formula there with all of them that make them feel special to me. [...] To say that I am a massive space geek would be an understatement, so a Bethesda game in space seemed like a wild unrealistic dream."

"For Fallout 4, I remember poring over pre-release information and making wildly inaccurate predictions. Those ideas are lost to time now, so for this game I wanted to catalogue how the community has been feeling on this entire journey."

This tome didn't just drop out of orbit and onto our laps—Gokamo's been working on it for at least a year, gradually adding more pages until they'd assembled the novel-sized archive we've been handed.

It's a smashingly detailed resource, and a heartwarming reminder of the impact that games can have on people's lives. It also makes me want Starfield to come out already so that poor Gokamo can take a break from all this compiling, and get out into the universe.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Could have gotten a PhD writing about something else, chose to get upvotes on reddit.

EvilWolf

Learned

Could have gotten a PhD writing about something else, chose to get upvotes on reddit.
He can probably use it to get a PhD in Starfield History or, even worse, GaMe JoUrNaLiSm...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I was wondering why Martin would call that turd, instead of incorporating it into his book.
Last time I saw him in person, he was talking with someone, then he said: "I must go see my wife", then ran out of room, while his wife was 5 m behind his back.
He went to do some tourism in that ex-eastern block country, and then he found people want to talk with him about his work. And they kinda have literal talent, and remember his books.

Moink

Cipher
i-found-this-on-amd-website-v0-oqde4ps6lcbb1.png

lol

Puukko

Arcane
Since we're on the topic;

1) do you expect the game to still be heavily single threaded, leading to choking in cities?
2) do you expect fuckery as a result of physics being tied to fps?
3) will they still be using antique Morrowind code for BSA unpacking?

I don't really have a handle on how FO4 was on this front compared to Skyrim, other than the impression the performance bottlenecks were worse. On the face of it Starfield looks to have made progress, but history suggests we won't be prepared for the horror spaghetti lurking within.

Modron

Arcane
1) do you expect the game to still be heavily single threaded, leading to choking in cities?
1) I imagine this was the main drive to making planets, physically spacing out settlements such that you don't have too many things in any one cell thus avoiding the triangle of death scenario common in Fallout 4.
2) Would it be a Bethesda game without such a feature?
3) You think Bethesda would make a new engine or just clean house and fire every single programmer and start fresh with a new group of them who know Unreal Engine? Kek no they'll use their 25+ old engine and probably give it a new name.

Moink

Cipher

I don't really have a handle on how FO4 was on this front compared to Skyrim, other than the impression the performance bottlenecks were worse. On the face of it Starfield looks to have made progress, but history suggests we won't be prepared for the horror spaghetti lurking within.

I believe we shouldn't get a repeat of FO4's issues because of Dx12 but it's Bethesda so who knows.

Puukko

Arcane

I believe we shouldn't get a repeat of FO4's issues because of Dx12 but it's Bethesda so who knows.
I was about to add that DX12 alone should go a long way but on the other hand, it demands more from the devs and stuff like shader stutter is notoriously common in DX12 games.

Gargaune

Arcane
"Legendary experience", who comes up with this embarrassing waffle? And I love how the 1080p "Heroic" tier has just two sad little thrusters with wimpy flames. Actually, I'm surprised they had enough restraint not to draw e-peen sizes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom