Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iucounu

Educated
most people being brown is probably a pretty accurate view of a future space society. With increased ease of travel and communication the human race will continue to homogenize ethnically, and white is definitely a global minority even as of right now.
I agree to the extent we can extrapolate current trends into the future. But most mainstream SciFi is little more than am exaggerated commentary on our own time, since anything else would be too unfamiliar for the general public (or beyond the writer's imagination).

The other potential source of ethnic differences in the future is of course genetic engineering to adapt to different environments. And maybe that might include engineering lighter skin as part of that.
I don't think skin color matters either way, both vitamin D and UV radiation can be handled in better ways. But maybe a body adapted to low gravity and with no need for body strength would have a survival advantage? The resulting creature might not look like anything alive today.

Based on these complaints, Starfield seems to be taking their world building seriously and taking a realistic view of things.
Personally I believe space colonization lies centuries into the future, and history shows us that events often take unexpected turns. For example, who in Ancient Rome would have thought that the savages in Provincia Britannia would one day conquer the world? Basically anything may happen, pick your poison:

* Only homosexuals that don't reproduce are allowed to space travel, since unruly children don't belong in cramped space stations.

* Homosexuality becomes preventable and thus nonexistent.

* All humans are genetically engineered to become hermaphroditic shemales.

* Western society returns to traditional gender roles. No women in space at all. Who would want to live there anyway? Even Antarctica seems better.

* Most poor black/brown people are deported to huge space stations in order to save Earth's climate. Wealthy white people remain on Earth estates so they can monitor the climate properly.

* Africa becomes the new world power, leaving the cucked West and Asia far behind.

Iucounu

Educated
It's called India. Have you been there? Doesn't look like a futuristic space society to me.
You can tell this forum is a bunch of IT posers, because anyone with a STEM degree from a good university would tell you those programs are full of Indians.
India also has its own space program, on the other hand some consider it the most racist country in the world...

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Speaking of which: do Woke games without blue eyes and blond hair contain pure black characters, or is mostly mixed-race? If they are mixed-race, it might be less about being anti-white and more about being pro-interracial.

Don't be a retard. Being pro-interracial is anti-white.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just how much does Starfield rely on No Man's Sky-like mechanisms?
Depending on what exactly you're talking about, seems like none. I hated NMS too because all its systems and mechanics sucked, not because of the setting; and the mechanics of Bethesda games to date are nothing like NMS. Although Starfield development began in the same year that NMS launched, I think it's a mistake to guess that Bethesda intended to clone it.

Iucounu

Educated
Speaking of which: do Woke games without blue eyes and blond hair contain pure black characters, or is mostly mixed-race? If they are mixed-race, it might be less about being anti-white and more about being pro-interracial.

Don't be a retard. Being pro-interracial is anti-white.
And anti-black, anti-Japanese, etc.

I think the confusion stems from African-Americans being called "black" even when they're predominantly white mixed-race, combined with a US-centric worldview where only US culture matters (and now, only US Woke culture).

Otherwise, being strictly pro-interracial means both original races are equally "marginalized": pure black Africans just as much as blonde, blue-eyed Europeans. An exception is if a race of slave owners feels it may dilute the genes of a slave race with its own, and the offspring is still counted towards the slave race (as illustrated by the US one-drop rule).

Actually, Mass Effect games do contain occasional blondes with blue eyes, but not a single pure black unless you count Jacob. Does that mean ME is anti-black? I see no other explanation.

Robotigan

Learned
Just how much does Starfield rely on No Man's Sky-like mechanisms?
Depending on what exactly you're talking about, seems like none. I hated NMS too because all its systems and mechanics sucked, not because of the setting; and the mechanics of Bethesda games to date are nothing like NMS. Although Starfield development began in the same year that NMS launched, I think it's a mistake to guess that Bethesda intended to clone it.
Reminds me of the Gollum reception. Everyone was going on and on about how it flopped because Gollum was a poor use of the LotR IP somehow oblivious to the fact that the only reason the marketing got any traction was because the core idea is pretty intriguing. The game just sucked.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Somehow, I don't see humans colonizing the galaxy at all. It would require some sort of a miracle to turn the birth rates up, and I don't see this happening like, any time soon (I don't think blacks keep breeding either when their standard of living goes up, slowly but surely).
Perhaps the future of expansion into space would center around specific socio-ethnic-religious groups that are, and will still be, increasing in population.

0WcScWz.gif

Jews in Space, from the previews for Mel Brooks' History of the World Part II, at the conclusion of the film History of the World Part I (1981)

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Somehow, I don't see humans colonizing the galaxy at all. It would require some sort of a miracle to turn the birth rates up, and I don't see this happening like, any time soon (I don't think blacks keep breeding either when their standard of living goes up, slowly but surely).
Perhaps the future of expansion into space would center around specific socio-ethnic-religious groups that are, and will still be, increasing in population.

0WcScWz.gif

Jews in Space, from the previews for Mel Brooks' History of the World Part II, at the conclusion of the film History of the World Part I (1981)

:shitposting:

Ulysa

Scholar
any Barotrauma enjoyers here? anyone else looking forward to making a base on Europa?
I bought it some time ago but haven't played it until now.

Is it fun for a single player?
It's a lot more fun in coop if you have friends that can dedicate time to learn the game properly. But singleplayer is ok too, better than playing with randoms.
None of my friends cared to learn so we sank in 3 minutes. That is fun too. :roll:

Alter Sack

Magister
any Barotrauma enjoyers here? anyone else looking forward to making a base on Europa?
I bought it some time ago but haven't played it until now.

Is it fun for a single player?
It's a lot more fun in coop if you have friends that can dedicate time to learn the game properly. But singleplayer is ok too, better than playing with randoms.

WUT?

You say there are codexers who have friends (imaginary friends don't count)?

:notsureifserious:

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Lol you guys think "base building" will be anything other than the same house buying mechanic from Skyrim.
They let you research stuff at your base now, kind of like in Kenshi. I just hope it's not forced.
My memory might be failing me. I guess it will be like NMS where you have to create a machine and place it in your base or wherever you want and there is where you do your research.

Moink

Cipher

Frontier made real? We partnered with @donttrythis and the team at @Testedcom to see if they were up to the task of bringing #Starfield's ship to life.
Don't think they've ever mentioned the ship "Frontier" before this making it a bit weird.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget, world-renowned writer and quest designer Emil "Why bother?" Pagliarulo and his new boss William Shen are doing a Q&A on the Official Starfield discord today.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Is it weird to already want a mod to restore her original appearance?
Just tell someone at lover's lab you have a thing for chicks with alopecia wearing wigs (in case you hadn't noticed first model doesn't have eyebrows) and you'll probably get a result in a few weeks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom