Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

goregasm

Scholar
I guess it's gonna be just like in Cyberpunk 2077 where it was so diverse that the only blond hair, blue eyes, white male in Night City was the character you created...

I haven't really been paying that much attention to most of the media about this game prior to release other than a few trailers (trying to avoid spoilers), so I am not fully up on whatever the starfield lore is.

While I dislike when fantasy or historical settings randomly insert ethnic diversity without a good explanation for it, most people being brown is probably a pretty accurate view of a future space society. With increased ease of travel and communication the human race will continue to homogenize ethnically, and white is definitely a global minority even as of right now.

Even significant colonization within our solar system is decades away at the earliest, while interstellar colonization is much further out than that. So we will be even further ethnically homogenized by then, as well as having increased ethnic diversity in all areas from the easier movement of people globally.

Birth rates also trend that humanity in general will be even browner in the future with most of the significant population growth we are seeing and expecting to see being in Africa.

The only way to support significantly different ethnic make ups in the far future would be if somehow some colonization effort deliberately made the effort to be from one specific ethnic group.

The only ethnic group I could see possibly achieving that would be the Chinese. Due to China's potential to manage a Chinese only colonization effort (although given the likely sale it may not be possible for any one nation to do it themselves) and because China is still relatively less diverse with a government that may enforce much lower rates of accepting migrants (although their demographics are about to fall off a cliff, so maybe importing labor with gusto will happen soonish for them).

Another realistic scenario could be that the more developed parts of the world take the lead, and provide most of the people, for interstellar colonization, while global ethnic homogenization is still not complete. But that wouldn't mean white. That would mean that earlier colonization waves would be lighter brown (high original input of east Asians and white) compared to later colonization waves which would be darker.

The other potential source of ethnic differences in the future is of course genetic engineering to adapt to different environments. And maybe that might include engineering lighter skin as part of that.

But outside of that I don't see any reason to expect a significant number of white people in a future sci-fi game that takes right now as the starting point. The only things that make sense realistically are Chinese (maybe), light brown, and dark brown.

The actual issue with realism is that of most sci-fi portraying the moderately distance future being unrealistically white.

Based on these complaints, Starfield seems to be taking their world building seriously and taking a realistic view of things.
If the leading scientific nations get much browner, space travel will only be in science fiction, because everything will get the south africa treatment.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I guess it's gonna be just like in Cyberpunk 2077 where it was so diverse that the only blond hair, blue eyes, white male in Night City was the character you created...

I haven't really been paying that much attention to most of the media about this game prior to release other than a few trailers (trying to avoid spoilers), so I am not fully up on whatever the starfield lore is.

While I dislike when fantasy or historical settings randomly insert ethnic diversity without a good explanation for it, most people being brown is probably a pretty accurate view of a future space society. With increased ease of travel and communication the human race will continue to homogenize ethnically, and white is definitely a global minority even as of right now.

Even significant colonization within our solar system is decades away at the earliest, while interstellar colonization is much further out than that. So we will be even further ethnically homogenized by then, as well as having increased ethnic diversity in all areas from the easier movement of people globally.

Birth rates also trend that humanity in general will be even browner in the future with most of the significant population growth we are seeing and expecting to see being in Africa.

The only way to support significantly different ethnic make ups in the far future would be if somehow some colonization effort deliberately made the effort to be from one specific ethnic group.

The only ethnic group I could see possibly achieving that would be the Chinese. Due to China's potential to manage a Chinese only colonization effort (although given the likely size of such an effort it may not be possible for any one nation to do it themselves) and because China is still relatively less diverse with a government that may enforce much lower rates of accepting migrants (although their demographics are about to fall off a cliff, so maybe importing labor with gusto will happen soonish for them).

Another realistic scenario could be that the more developed parts of the world take the lead, and provide most of the people, for interstellar colonization, while global ethnic homogenization is still not complete. But that wouldn't mean white. That would mean that earlier colonization waves would be lighter brown (higher original input of east Asians and white) compared to later colonization waves which would be darker.

The other potential source of ethnic differences in the future is of course genetic engineering to adapt to different environments. And maybe that might include engineering lighter skin as part of that.

But outside of that I don't see any reason to expect a significant number of white people in a future sci-fi game that takes right now as the starting point. The only things that make sense realistically are Chinese (maybe), light brown, and dark brown.

The actual issue with realism is that of most sci-fi portraying the moderately distance future being unrealistically white.

Based on these complaints, Starfield seems to be taking their world building seriously and taking a realistic view of things.

This is a troll post, right? Nobody is this fucking retarded... right???

phil-spencer-addresses-recent-controversial-comment-about-starfield.large.jpg

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The only ethnic group I could see possibly achieving that would be the Chinese. Due to China's potential to manage a Chinese only colonization effort (although given the likely size of such an effort it may not be possible for any one nation to do it themselves) and because China is still relatively less diverse with a government that may enforce much lower rates of accepting migrants (although their demographics are about to fall off a cliff, so maybe importing labor with gusto will happen soonish for them).

Another realistic scenario could be that the more developed parts of the world take the lead, and provide most of the people, for interstellar colonization, while global ethnic homogenization is still not complete. But that wouldn't mean white. That would mean that earlier colonization waves would be lighter brown (higher original input of east Asians and white) compared to later colonization waves which would be darker.

No, racist people who think non-whites are incapable sub-humans are not the norm, even if a higher percentage congregate at this site and people don't always call out that BS every time it is spouted. This isn't an invitation to start ranting about your racist beliefs in this thread, btw. There is a separate part of the forum where you can rant about and discus that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

No, racist people who think non-whites are incapable sub-humans are not the norm, even if a higher percentage congregate at this site and people don't always call out that BS every time it is spouted. This isn't an invitation to start ranting about your racist beliefs in this thread, btw. There is a separate part of the forum where you can do that.

Ok, so you are trolling. Got it.

Shin

Cipher

i mean, it's retarded in the context of discussing starfield the video game by todd howard, but I don't think white demographic decline is a super crazy concept?

20210622_BrookingsMetro_PopGrowth_Fig1.png

White_America_%28of_one_race%29_from_1960_to_2020.gif
2001-2011_White_British.gif

Moink

Cipher
Since I've elected myself to be the Starfield news guy, Bethesda released a "timeline" of story/universe events:
Xu15G4k.png

Nothing really all that interesting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

most people being brown is probably a pretty accurate view of a future space society
You sure?

There's a RL example of a white minority that conquered and at first dominated a majority dark skinned society but in time was assimilated and subsumed by it. And now everyone is kindda brown over there.

It's called India. Have you been there? Doesn't look like a futuristic space society to me.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Since I've elected myself to be the Starfield news guy, Bethesda released a "timeline" of story/universe events:
Xu15G4k.png

So is the discovery and use of FTL travel not a significant historical event?

Or does Starfield not have FTL? Although those timelines seem to indicate that we have FTL since a military fleet was able to be mobilized and sent to a system in response to a situation that occurred about 1 year prior to that.

Moink

Cipher
Xu15G4k.png

So is the discovery and use of FTL travel not a significant historical event?

Or does Starfield not have FTL? Although those timelines seem to indicate that we have FTL since a military fleet was able to be mobilized and sent to a system in response to a situation that occurred about 1 year prior to that.
There was a dodgy story leak claiming they use 40k style warp travel and it's a big story point but grain of salt etc etc

Late Bloomer

Scholar

i mean, it's retarded in the context of discussing starfield the video game by todd howard, but I don't think white demographic decline is a super crazy concept?

20210622_BrookingsMetro_PopGrowth_Fig1.png

White_America_%28of_one_race%29_from_1960_to_2020.gif
2001-2011_White_British.gif

This will not help the colonization of space. All this information does is show that making real progress towards planentary exploraiton is much further off than we can imagine.

Also, people self segregate. No matter what your sick fetish dreams up, most people enjoy fucking people of their own race. Importing a bunch of blacks and browns to a white country will not make people attracted to them. Also, the asian races that would help humanity get into space are not the brown ones.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't there some mumbo jumbo about gravity jumps using gravitic fields to create a nonlocal connection between two distant points? Basically teleporting instead of "going really fast"?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
No, racist people who think non-whites are incapable sub-humans are not the norm, even if a higher percentage congregate at this site and people don't always call out that BS every time it is spouted. This isn't an invitation to start ranting about your racist beliefs in this thread, btw. There is a separate part of the forum where you can rant about and discus that.
iq_map.jpeg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Wasn't there some mumbo jumbo about gravity jumps using gravitic fields to create a nonlocal connection between two distant points? Basically teleporting instead of "going really fast"?
It's called folding space and it works the way it sounds

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This is a troll post, right? Nobody will be insane enough to read such a long post from negropatriot!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Negros may be the future,but they can't build anything lol. If there is a space travel,it could be from china or india. Tho they could fallow the whitoids in to extinction since they have been poisoned by their ideologies. Sooo maybe a 1000 years for space negros warhammer?!

tastywaffles

Literate
The only ethnic group I could see possibly achieving that would be the Chinese.
They do seem to have a winning hand if they can maintain and improve upon it.
That is of course if they don't have the west to constantly fend off, which is the biggest obstacle for any nation right now. To side with the evil empire knowing that it will swallow you, erase your culture and history, and replace your genepool, or push back knowing that, if you lose - which any nation that is not China-sized probably will lose (Russia has already lost, and it will be sad to see them chopped up into tiny pieces and sold off) - they will swallow you, erase your history and culture, and replace your peoples.

If China can keep from getting its head lopped off in a Color Revolution before the west [inevitably] collapses into disarray, they could win everything. Or maybe they collapse first! I wish I could live for a couple hundred more years. I just need 3 more centuries of life, not 1 or 2 or 10, just 3 (I have calculated the time it would take to finish my to-read list, and it comes to just over 3 centuries. Give me time to finish, I beg!).

Back on-topic: Just how much does Starfield rely on No Man's Sky-like mechanisms? I hate that game. Could they take that dud gameplay and make it actually fun? Some fun would be fine. I like fun okay.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Somehow, I don't see humans colonizing the galaxy at all. It would require some sort of a miracle to turn the birth rates up, and I don't see this happening like, any time soon (I don't think blacks keep breeding either when their standard of living goes up, slowly but surely).
The only miracles that come to mind that would turn the tide would be:
1. Discovery of eternal life for the people. Why not spend part of your eternity on a parental leave?
2. Some sort of an extraterrestrial intervention, aliens/god(s) etc.
3. Science developing to the point where parents don't need to stress about their offspring, i.e. institutions who produce your children (no pregnancy needed), raise and educate them, all costs paid, and you just go and see them when you feel like it. Or make a video call.

Elthosian

Arcane

Back on-topic: Just how much does Starfield rely on No Man's Sky-like mechanisms? I hate that game. Could they take that dud gameplay and make it actually fun? Some fun would be fine. I like fun okay.

I've seen a few people admit they're uncultured swine by claiming Starfield stole the scanner from NMS when Metroid Prime did it 21 years ago, but it doesn't seem as if it will be that similar to it. IIRC you will have a ME-like minigame for scanning worlds showing you a dozen points of interest per planet and then you can choose to land on any of them. There will be little incentive to go too far away from these aside from collecting resources; the fact that there will be no ground vehicles nor atmospheric flight indicates that they don't want you to venture too far away anyway. Of course, there will be turbo-autists roleplaying a retard that spends 50 hours per planet trying to see everything, but I doubt the game will be designed to cater them. The main quest will be much more relevant and the mining stuff will probably be limited to the settlement building mechanics/"Radiant" fetch quests. I've heard that they got the guy that did some nice quests for the FO4 DLC leading quest design here so I'm kinda optimistic about the real content of the game.

Btw, I've been trying to get some information from the Starfield Reddit but at some point it became a Baldur's Gate 3 sub-community to the point mods banned all posts referencing it yet it's still one of the main topics, lol. Swen sure did a number there.

Iucounu

Educated
Speaking of which: do Woke games without blue eyes and blond hair contain pure black characters, or is mostly mixed-race? If they are mixed-race, it might be less about being anti-white and more about being pro-interracial. For example, I can't remember any pure black characters in the Mass Effect games, with Jacob as the only exception (even Jacob's own father in ME2 looks more mixed-race than Jacob). I recall the ME character creators don't let you create pure black characters either; while in other games the skin color slider often stops at max 75% blackness, or facial features are limited to European or Asian styles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom