Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
[Fuck I double posted accidentally]

Any Mako Chads in the house? When we getting starfield gamebryo """vehicles"""?

uFAlOuF.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Codex: I'm too cool for walking simulators

also Codex: I'm so very angry that I can't walk a straight line for 40 minutes on an empty planet without a load screen. because that's what I really wanted to do in this game
Now wait a minute, Zombra.

I'm usually cool with you but I can't sit back and take this.

Pete Hines himself basically promised free-form planetary exploration. This is sort of a big deal and can't just be handwaved away.

Sure, I understand that there's no way Gamebryo's ancient dried-up carcass can be coaxed into handling rendering entire planets, but invisible barriers? Really? That's where we're still at?

I could even handle no vehicles, because if your ship is mobile enough (it looks rather small in all the screenshots I've seen) there's almost no point in a land-based vehicle.

But no, don't blame Codex for this one. This is bullshit.

Am I upset?
0b4.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't know how anyone could have expected that Starfield's model of the cosmos to be anything different than what we saw in Andromeda.
What.

Starfield cosmos is nothing like Andromeda. MEA was a handful of handcrafted planets. That plus the gunplay and action in general was actually p. good. It was the retarded writing and chardev that made the game insufferable.

Starfield is a NMS-like procedural borefest, nothing to do with Andromeda.

The world design was also retarded in Andromeda. A completely new galaxy and there are only 2 species you meet? Both humanoid and one them a mutation of the other.

Squandered opportunity to have some truly bizarre and fucked up world building.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The world design was also retarded in Andromeda. A completely new galaxy and there are only 2 species you meet? Both humanoid and one them a mutation of the other.

Yes.

Despite all the "bugs lol" and "my face is tired lol", coming from the gaymerdom, this is MEA's greatest sin.

It's also on the writers btw, it was their job to design the world and the species, not just the dialogues and companions. The writing was simply fanfic level top to bottom.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Yes.

Despite all the "bugs lol" and "my face is tired lol", coming from the gaymerdom, this is MEA's greatest sin.

It's also on the writers btw, it was their job to design the world and the species, not just the dialogues and companions. The writing was simply fanfic level top to bottom.

After Oblivion I have no faith on Bethsesda writting team.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-cans-recently-nerfed-11-xbox-game-pass-trial

Microsoft completely removes recently-nerfed £1/$1 Xbox Game Pass trial​

Just days ahead of Starfield's arrival.

You can no longer claim a trial of Xbox Game Pass for £1/$1, just days ahead of Starfield, the year's biggest Microsoft launch.

The option has been removed from Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass sign-up website (thanks, XGP). Now, you must simply pay the full amount for your first month.

Microsoft recently slashed the offer from a full month at £1/$1 to just 14 days, back at the start of August. Eurogamer asked Microsoft for comment on the change at the time, but did not receive any further information.

Now, the offer is gone completely - after only being relaunched by Microsoft in July.

The £1/$1 Xbox Game Pass deal had existed for years before that, and has been a popular driver of users to Microsoft's monthly subscription. But it was temporarily removed at the end of March - shortly before Redfall's arrival on PC and Xbox in May.

Xbox Game Pass, of course, allows subscribers to play brand new Microsoft titles on release without paying their full price point.

But as Starfield's release nears - and as the game arrives without any possibility for any public hands-on - the offer has now been removed.

Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass pricing tiers, without a free trial option.
Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass pricing tiers, without a free trial option. | Image credit: Microsoft / Eurogamer

Interested in Starfield? You'll need to pay out for a full month of Game Pass on console (£9/month), PC (£8/month) or Ultimate (£13/month) to give it a go. Or, of course, it's £70 on console.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
King Crispy N'wah I was being snarky more to be snarky than because I believe the cell system is great. (I don't.)

I am curious to know more about the cell system though. (No, I haven't scoured all the spoiler pages and watched all the spoiler footage because ... spoilers.)
Can you tell me, like, how big the cells are? Is each patch the size of Skyrim, or a postage stamp, or somewhere in between?
Basically I'm wondering what the over/under is on me actually bumping into a wall playing the game normally (i.e. not actively trying to break it). I honestly don't plan to play any character who goes on a 20 mile walk to nowhere.

Side note, now we know why there are no vehicles or in-atmosphere flight ... and why there never will be. Before now I didn't really think about games like No Man's Sky letting you seamlessly fly around a planet but now I'm like ... would it have been that hard?

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
King Crispy N'wah I was being snarky more to be snarky than because I believe the cell system is great. (I don't.)

I am curious to know more about the cell system though. (No, I haven't scoured all the spoiler pages and watched all the spoiler footage because ... spoilers.)
Can you tell me, like, how big the cells are? Is each patch the size of Skyrim, or a postage stamp, or somewhere in between?
Basically I'm wondering what the over/under is on me actually bumping into a wall playing the game normally (i.e. not actively trying to break it). I honestly don't plan to play any character who goes on a 20 mile walk to nowhere.

Side note, now we know why there are no vehicles or in-atmosphere flight ... and why there never will be. Before now I didn't really think about games like No Man's Sky letting you seamlessly fly around a planet but now I'm like ... would it have been that hard?
For the studio that can't program ladders? Yeah.

There's a "Cancel" option
So my guess is that you can keep exploring past that point
Those "boundries" then likely exist to simply warn players that they are leaving the area of the planet with any sort of content - or perhaps by that "explore another region" part, it warns players are straying too far off the ship
I think "cancel" means you can turn back. If you want to explore more, you "open planet map" and select another landing zone, then it generates another area. If you want to leave the planet, you just go back to the ship.

Technically Pete Hines didn't lie - you can walk all over the planet, you just have to do it in chunks.:dance:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

10 minutes to sprint from, presumeably, the center of a planetside 'zone' to the edge.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
10 minutes to sprint from, presumeably, the center of a planetside 'zone' to the edge.
Nice. So if it took this guy 36 minutes to cross the entire Skyrim map .... stopping to fight everything he saw on the way .... and it takes 20 minutes to go from one Starfield zone edge to the other .... then a single Starfield zone is at least half as big as of all of Skyrim.

I don't think I'm going to feel exactly cramped when playing this game.
pipboy_approve.png
Thanks again for the data.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
First patch

https://insider-gaming.com/details-on-first-starfield-early-access-patch/

Good news is that there any no major issues listed

Starfield Early Access Patch Details

Performance and Stability Fixes
Improved stability related to suspending and resuming the game. (Xbox Series X/S)
Fixed rare crash that could occur when viewing the credits after completing the game.
Fixed crash that could appear when repeatedly loading some saves inside of ships.
Various stability and performance improvements.
Visual Fixes
Fixed an issue where sometimes hair would not appear on characters.
Improved distant object appearance when transitioning to the surface of a planet.
Addressed an issue that sometimes caused face animations to move abruptly.
Fixed an issue where rarely in certain views white flashing boxes could appear in the Handscanner.
Fixed an issue that would cause an undesirable texture blend near the coastline.
Fixed an issue that would cause textures to degrade unnecessarily. (Xbox Series S)
Gameplay Fixes
Fixed a rare issue that could cause Companions to float in the air.
Fixed an issue that could cause some ship modules to become misaligned.
Fixed some issues that would prevent touch-down points from turning red in Ship Builder.
Fixed an issue that could cause the player to appear incorrectly when equipping items.
Addressed an issue that could prevent the Isolation skill from behaving as intended.
Adjusted the distance the player is able to access and store cargo in their ship.
Fixed an issue that could sometimes cause a long delay on the Press any button screen.
Quest Fixes
Fixed rare issue that could cause ship patrols not to appear for “First to Fight, First to Die.”
Addressed a rare issue where the Contraband scan would not occur potentially preventing landing at New Atlantis.
Fixed an unlikely issue that could prevent landing at New Atlantis during “Deep Cover.”
Fixed an issue that could prevent Heat Leeches from counting as killed after completing “A Legacy Forged.”
Fixed how a location would appear near a hidden Earth landmark.
Fixed a rare issue that could potentially trap the player in The Facility.
Addressed an infrequent issue where a Spacer Ship didn’t correctly appear for a radiant quest.
Fixed an unlikely issue that could appear during “Revelation” depending on how the player interacted with the Emissary.
Addressed an issue with the Deimos Slim bottom ship module that is used on the Razorleaf.
Fixed rare issue that could prevent companions from accompanying the player after “No Sudden Moves”.
Addressed a rare issue that could impact “Power from Beyond.”

Ulysa

Scholar
King Crispy N'wah

I don't know man, but, playing Elite Dangerous, for me the most fun was docking and landing. This is a great loss for Starfield I think.

Gargaune

Arcane
Nice. So if it took this guy 36 minutes to cross the entire Skyrim map .... stopping to fight everything he saw on the way

Hard to compare the two when you can run 36 minutes straight without seeing a single thing. :smug:

I warned all of you months ago:

We all know Todd is a brilliant game designer, but it's often overlooked how good a PR guy he is too - Starfield's setting is a slam-dunk move for Bethesda, because whenever anyone will moan that something about the game is "sterile and empty", Todd will just reply "Duh. It's space!"

Which, as Crispy pointed out, also works for planets:

90% of the 1000+ planets in Starfield will have no life, according to Todd Howard​

I don't have a problem with this at all.

Only about 10% of the planets in our own solar system have life so it seems about right to me.

:smug:

Gargaune

Arcane
knew

Doubt anyone could tell you that before cracking it open in the CK when it's out. If I recall correctly, Fallout 4's cells are larger than Fallout 3's, the F4NV guys were commenting on that at some point, but it's anyone's guess on Starfield.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
heh...... Looks like a typo there... heh.... :tips fedora: got you now...... you missed a letter.. heh... :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Thanks for the spelling bee cockbreath.

Starfield 'boundary reached' leak leaves some worried Bethesda's planets have more limits than anticipated:​

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-b...as-planets-have-more-limits-than-anticipated/

Lmfao.. If every journalist died tomorrow, nobody would notice.

Machocruz

Arcane
Imagine still not having learned that Todd-led Bethesda is synonymous with 'more limited'. More limited stats, more limited items, more limited writing, more limited quality, more limited intelligence, with each game.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Arcane
Thanks for the spelling bee cockbreath.
bee, cockbreath

Imagine still not having learned that Todd-led Bethesda is synonymous with 'more limited'. More limited stats, more limited items, more limited writing, more limited quality, more limited intelligence, with each game.
In all fairness, they seem to be expanding the RPG systems this time around, at least relative to Fallout 4. What worries me more than the (not too surprising) planetary bounds is what someone was saying about no longer being able to loot NPCs' equipped gear, I'm concerned we might be looking down the barrel of some CDPR-grade itemisation.

Zombra

Patron
In all fairness, they seem to be expanding the RPG systems this time around, at least relative to Fallout 4. What worries me more than the (not too surprising) planetary bounds is what someone was saying about no longer being able to loot NPCs' equipped gear, I'm concerned we might be looking down the barrel of some CDPR-grade itemisation.
I want to be able to loot all enemy spacesuits.
And I want there to be an animation that takes a realistic amount of time to strip a spacesuit off a dead body.
While I'm also wearing a spacesuit including the big oven mitt gloves.
In zero gee.
I figure that would take at least 20 minutes, with maximum Spacesuit Tech skill.
And I want to have to carry it realistically too, i.e. I can't carry anything else until I stow it in a storage locker.
Because realism > gameplay.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom