Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think my favorite is Diplomacy - at Rank 4 you can use the ability to make someone stop fighting permanently (unless you attack them again). Visions of a character who just walks around going "Yo leave me alone" and people are like "whatever noob" and go back to what they were doing
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, boy!

Caim

Arcane
So Combat, Physical, Science, Social and Technology are the skill groups. Not exactly the next SPECIAL.

Yes I know it's because they're sorted alphabetically.

Zeriel

Arcane
The tiles being 99% full of nothing or repetitive bullshit will be more annoying.
Bethesda could've very easily scaled the worlds to be more small (Fallout 4/Fallout 76 world scale) and have more quantity and quality content, it's never "All empty" or "not empty but small as a box"

Sure, but the whole reason companies go after this sort of thing is to advertise "INFINITE exploration!", just like the point of Radiant quests was for Todd to be able to say "You can play Skyrim forever!".

Modron

Arcane
In a space exploration game, you cannot fully explore the planets you find in space.
Did you fully expect to be able to spend years in real time circumventing a planetoid? Question for science nerds if an asteroid was small enough you could pick a direction start walking and end up where you started in 15 minutes or less would it have enough gravity that if you jumped you could safely expect to not become untethered from the rock?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Question for science nerds if an asteroid was small enough you could pick a direction start walking and end up where you started in 15 minutes or less would it have enough gravity that if you jumped you could safely expect to not become untethered from the rock?
Depends on its mass, not its size.

Are we talking an earth-like composition or a fragment from a neutron star?

ferratilis

Magister
Source: a short man wearing a mustache and dark sunglasses, said his name was Rodd Howard.
https://insider-gaming.com/bethesda-bugs-game-sources/

STARFIELD IS BETHESDA’S LEAST BUGGIEST GAME TO DATE, SAY SOURCES​

bethesda-bugs.jpg

With Starfield in the hands of media, creators, and those fortunate enough to get the game early by other means, there’s been one question looming over me for months – Is Starfield full of bugs?
In the past, we’ve all been accustomed to, and memed about the fact that Bethesda is known for its buggy games, but is Starfield going to break that cycle? Fortunately, I’ve been speaking to several people who have been playing the game for over a week now to get the answer.
Our first public comment about Starfield being a polished game came from journalist Tyler McVicker, who’s currently under an embargo for the title. Despite being under the embargo, McVicker took to Discord to say, “Also, 15 hours in and not a single bug”.
Taking one person’s comments at face value is never enough, so I reached out to my contacts to delve a little deeper.
Speaking with several sources under the condition of anonymity who are currently under embargo and couldn’t speak publically about the game, McVicker’s comment is the same sentiment given by everyone I’ve spoken to. Five individuals, who have a varying amount of time put in the game have all said that the amount of bugs they’ve experienced can be counted on one hand. In fact, most said one or two at most, with everyone I spoke to having put dozens of hours into the game. In addition, it was also said that almost all the bugs that were found have already been listed to be fixed in the Starfield Day 1 patch.
Admittingly though, even with speaking with five individuals, it’s still a small pool of opinions in the grand scheme of things. Public perception will always be different, but in my opinion, hearing the behind-the-scenes buzz and positivity of the game is a very strong encouraging sign. Whether or not public opinion will be different remains to be seen, but hey, I guess we’ll have to wait another 5 or so days.
In June, Microsoft Game Studios head Matt Booty took to a Giant Bomb stream to speak on Starfield bugs and said, “Working with Todd and the team, I see bug counts and, just by the numbers, if it shipped today, this would have the fewest bugs any Bethesda game ever shipped with.” It’s a bold statement, but from what we’ve been able to gather it seems entirely accurate. But let’s be clear – Starfield will have bugs. All games do. But a Bethesda game with as few bugs as possible sounds like a match made in heaven.

Question for science nerds if an asteroid was small enough you could pick a direction start walking and end up where you started in 15 minutes or less would it have enough gravity that if you jumped you could safely expect to not become untethered from the rock?
too small to have any proper gravity field. consider the moon, almost 11000 km circumference, has barely 0.16g.

Elthosian

Arcane
In a space exploration game, you cannot fully explore the planets you find in space.
Did you fully expect to be able to spend years in real time circumventing a planetoid? Question for science nerds if an asteroid was small enough you could pick a direction start walking and end up where you started in 15 minutes or less would it have enough gravity that if you jumped you could safely expect to not become untethered from the rock?

I think it was the right call. It's feasible even for Bethesda, but I doubt it would have been worth the effort. 99.9% of the people that would use such a feature would have been streamers doing the 'let's go across the planet' meme.

Elthosian

Arcane
No doubt this will be taken down soon, but someone put in fast forward, himself running to the end of the invisible barrier.

It's like 30-50 minutes for Skyrim, so 20 minutes (assuming he landed at the middle) per bounding box sounds solid. I don't expect to spend more than half an hour in any areas without hand-crafted content. My only gripe is that this makes vehicles (which I only wanted for funsies; don't need them to fit well within the systems) completely redundant and not likely to be added at any point, but eh, I can live with that.

Akachi

Educated
It's like 30-50 minutes for Skyrim, so 20 minutes (assuming he landed at the middle) per bounding box sounds solid. I don't expect to spend more than half an hour in any areas without hand-crafted content. My only gripe is that this makes vehicles (which I only wanted for funsies; don't need them to fit well within the systems) completely redundant and not likely to be added at any point, but eh, I can live with that.
The lack of vehicles is really jarring. The idea of having to run around every alien planet on foot is ridiculous, and watching someone actually do it in that video really proves the point. To Todd, it's apparently plausible to be capable of interstellar flight without having a vehicle of any kind to actually explore other worlds with. I assume the lack of vehicles also means any of the more exotic or less hospitable planets are all off the table by default, how are you supposed to get around any planet that's not a rocky planet with a surface crust, for one? Really lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom