Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

deuxhero

Arcane
Planets are just RNG dungeons of very finite size. I expected nothing, but I'm still amazed at how bad they fucked up.

Zeriel

Arcane
I always find it so lazy when they make Earth in game but it's either unexplorable or just a flat wasteland. Like, sure, it doesn't have to be civilized, but why not make jungles or wasteland with random ruins and ancient cities that have decayed into just broken down stubs of buildings, etc? That would be super cool to explore and loot stuff. Instead we get le desert.

EvilWolf

Learned
Did Fallout 4 have the same level of mod support as Skyrim? There is so much variety in the Skyrim modding scene it's almost more difficult to try to find a concept for a mod someone hasn't tried to execute. I didn't think Fallout 4 had the same level of devotion dedicated to it.
It got the same support from Bethesda, but didn't attract the same following as Skyrim. The Fallout 4 mods selection is immense, probably one of the largest in gaming, but it distinctly lagged behind Skyrim's in scope and variety.

Some people blame Bethesda for withholding the tools for a couple of months post-launch, others the Fallout IP, and others still chalk it up to fantasy vs. science fiction in general, but I suspect there's another major factor at play - cannibalisation. Skyrim's modding scene reached critical mass in its time and simply kept going and going, so once Fallout 4 came out, some modders just stuck around in their already established ballpit and they're still there today.

Starfield runs similar risks and this is also one of the reasons I maintain swapping engines would be nuts - if you already lose modders along the way from one Creation Engine title to another, giving up on the CK altogether would yield a catastrophic dropoff. And mods are the lifeblood of Bethesda games' longevity because, as a wise man once said: See that thing we couldn't be arsed with? You can fix it!
The problem was a mixture of things.
1. The IP lending itself to a more established character with set goals and the player being an extension of the character versus TES where the character is an extension of the player.
2. The Creation Engine was barely getting by running the vanilla game when OG Skyrim was released, this has improved GREATLY with each re-release, the initial release of Fallout 4 had these same issues and most likely took Bethesda longer to setup the infrastructure for a modding pipeline like Skyrim had.
3. The possibility that, from what I heard which possibly isn't the case, the game had more hard coded elements than previous Bethesda games which limited the scope of what could be done through modding.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

It Could Take 130 Hours To Really Start Starfield, Bethesda Exec Says

Pete Hines says he needed to get past the main quest before Starfield ‘really [got] going’

https://kotaku.com/how-long-to-beat-starfield-xbox-release-date-bethesda-1850774572

“80 hours in, I went from doing one game to a completely different game where I started really focusing on the main quest,” said Hines, “and then I got so caught up in the main quest, that I spent the next 50 hours just doing that. [...] I’m here to tell you that this game doesn’t really even get going until you finish the main quest.”

DYWlRtFX4AAM9g_.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
I remember Cyberpunk devs saying the game had 200~ hours of content. Then when people played it it turned out it was a 15-20 hour game for most people who mainlined the story, and in fact this was the proper way to play it, as everything else sucked.

Never trust a studio's pre-release lies--er, conjecture about their own game.

Just Locus

Educated
Screenshot_20230825-211315.png

"Open the map to explore another region, or return to your ship."

In a space exploration game, you cannot fully explore the planets you find in space.

THAT'S LIKE MAKING A ROLEPLAYING GAME WITH NO ROLEPLAYI- Oh, wait.

Zeriel

Arcane
Honestly, the boundary thing doesn't bother me much.

The tiles being 99% full of nothing or repetitive bullshit will be more annoying. The best (only good part?) of modern Bethesda games was exploring handcrafted environments. I like Daggerfall, but I like it for pushing boundaries and being very ambitious and systems-driven for its era. This game isn't like that, so it's taking the worst part of Daggerfall's proc gen and none of its best elements.

Just Locus

Educated
The tiles being 99% full of nothing or repetitive bullshit will be more annoying.
Bethesda could've very easily scaled the worlds to be more small (Fallout 4/Fallout 76 world scale) and have more quantity and quality content, it's never "All empty" or "not empty but small as a box"

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda could've very easily scaled the worlds to be more small (Fallout 4/Fallout 76 world scale) and have more quantity and quality content, it's never "All empty" or "not empty but small as a box"

That's a poor No Man's Sky/Spore 'solution' for a game that is trying to depict space and alien planets with some kind of 'realisticity'. All the believability would evaporate. Elite: Dangerous, the only other recent game I can think of that tries to transmit the sensation of scale, functionally works the same way.

I don't think 'emptiness' is the issue here, but the way that you transport yourself from zone to zone. Just hitting 'Fast Travel' and rematerializing elsewhere is not good enough.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked how it was done in Precursors. You couldn't explore a whole planet but you had large areas and they had something interesting to see or other points of interests spread out.

Elthosian

Arcane
Some people around here had already said it was going to have bubbles around landing zones but the fun thing is Pete Hines went and claimed during Gamescom that you would be able to walk across the entire planet and now it turns out it's not possible. And the dude claimed to have played 150 hours and "wasn't even close to seeing everything" :lol:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some people around here had already said it was going to have bubbles around landing zones but the fun thing is Pete Hines went and claimed during Gamescom that you would be able to walk across the entire planet and now it turns out it's not possible. And the dude claimed to have played 150 hours and "wasn't even close to seeing everything" :lol:

Whaaat? Pete Hines said something that turned out not to be true while making hype for an unreleased game!?

Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

Now that IS news! Holy crap!

Caim

Arcane

Pete Hines says he needed to get past the main quest before Starfield ‘really [got] going’

https://kotaku.com/how-long-to-beat-starfield-xbox-release-date-bethesda-1850774572

“80 hours in, I went from doing one game to a completely different game where I started really focusing on the main quest,” said Hines, “and then I got so caught up in the main quest, that I spent the next 50 hours just doing that. [...] I’m here to tell you that this game doesn’t really even get going until you finish the main quest.”
I mean, I could fuck around in Skyrim for 130 hours and still not have finished the main quest.

Perkel

Arcane
The enduring criticism of all Elder Scrolls has been that the leveling system allows you to be "good at everything," yet in my own playthroughs of each game I've never found that to be the case. Leveling a full Fighter/Archer/Mage, regardless of game, requires more time and grinding than I've ever cared to spend. It's like saying you can technically max out all skills to 300 in Fallout 2 but the time that would take is so prohibitive no one is going to bother.

Better criticism is to say Skyrim is so easy it doesn't matter what you're good at, the game can be beaten regardless of build.

There are many things to criticize Skyrim about but leveling system is not it. It's perk system was bland as hell but the just main way to rise skills was good. It was improvement of previous games.

The issue is that their previous system was brough more or less from daggerfall etc. And with such game you had essentially infinite content to play your build. If you wanted to be tomb rider which required lockpicking etc. you could play 100s of hours like that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
There's a "Cancel" option
So my guess is that you can keep exploring past that point
Those "boundries" then likely exist to simply warn players that they are leaving the area of the planet with any sort of content - or perhaps by that "explore another region" part, it warns players are straying too far off the ship

Butter

Arcane
Patron

DYWlRtFX4AAM9g_.jpg
Hey guys, it's me, Pete Hines, senior VP of Marketing at Bethesda. I'm here to tell you our new game's main quest is so fucking awful that the game doesn't even get going until you're finished with it. Make sure to buy the Ultra Pay Piggy Edition that comes with a shitty watch.

Atrachasis

Augur
There's a "Cancel" option
So my guess is that you can keep exploring past that point
Those "boundries" then likely exist to simply warn players that they are leaving the area of the planet with any sort of content - or perhaps by that "explore another region" part, it warns players are straying too far off the ship
More likely, "Cancel" means "Turn around by 180 degrees and keep walking within the bubble".

Which would be a shame. Still, Noctis IV demonstrated that there is fun to be had within bubbles.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Screenshots of all skills have been leaked. Notes mine for skills whose functions aren't blindingly obvious. source

Com-1Ballistics
Com-1Dueling
Com-1Lasers
Com-1Pistol Certification
Com-1Shotgun Certification
Com-2Demolitions
Com-2Heavy Weapons
Com-2IncapacitationEM weapon bonuses
Com-2Particle Beams
Com-2Rifle Certification
Com-3MarksmanshipRanged criticals
Com-3Rapid Reloading
Com-3Sniper CertificationBetter weapon sway
Com-3TargetingHipshooting
Com-4Armor Penetration
Com-4CripplingPut enemies in a "downed state"
Com-4SharpshootingBetter criticals
Phy-1BoxingUnarmed damage/stamina
Phy-1FitnessO2 (stamina) boost
Phy-1StealthStealth meter, sneak attack damage
Phy-1Weight-LiftingCarry capacity
Phy-1WellnessStraight hit point boost
Phy-2Pain ToleranceStraight up damage reduction
Phy-2NutritionBetter healing from food
Phy-2GymnasticsCombat slide, move faster, jump higher
Phy-2Environmental ConditioningEnviro damage resistance
Phy-2Energy Weapon DissipationEnergy damage resistance
Phy-3Cellular RegenerationIncreased injury recovery
Phy-3DecontaminationIncreased infection recovery
Phy-3Martial ArtsImproved crit, disarm, blocking w unarmed AND melee weapons
Phy-4ConcealmentAvoid traps, better stealth
Phy-4NeurostrikesUnarmed status effects
Phy-4RejuvenationStraight up health regen
Sci-1AstrodynamicsBetter grav jumps
Sci-1GeologyRocks: scan better, more resources
Sci-1Medicine
Sci-1Research MethodsAll crafting & research cheaper and faster
Sci-1SurveyingBetter hand scanner range
Sci-2BotanyPlants: scan better, more resources
Sci-2ScanningScan planets for resources, scan ships for various info
Sci-2Spacesuit DesignArmor mod crafting
Sci-2Weapon EngineeringWeapon mod crafting
Sci-2ZoologyCritters: scan better, more resources
Sci-3AstrophysicsImproved planetary scanning
Sci-3ChemistryCraft chems
Sci-3Outpost EngineeringUnlocks better modules
Sci-4Special ProjectsResearch experimental projects, craft rare components
Sci-4Planetary HabitationBuild on inhospitable planets
Sci-4Aneurtronic FusionBetter ship reactors
Soc-1CommerceSimple % boost to buying and selling
Soc-1GastronomyCrafting recipes
Soc-1PersuasionSpeech challenges success boost
Soc-1ScavengingFind more resources, can highlight a particular resource at highest level
Soc-1TheftPickpocketing
Soc-2DeceptionBetter smuggling AND you are scarier as a pirate
Soc-2DiplomacyForce people to stop fighting
Soc-2IntimidationForce people to flee
Soc-2IsolationHuge "Lone Wolf" combat buffs
Soc-2NegotiationUnlocks bribery in speech challenges
Soc-3InstigationTurn enemies against each other
Soc-3LeadershipImproved companion abilities
Soc-3Outpost ManagementIncreased outpost capacity & production
Soc-4ManipulationBasically mind control
Soc-4Ship CommandIncreased ship crew capacity
Soc-4XenosociologyControl aliens
Tec-1Ballistic Weapon Systems
Tec-1Boost Pack Training
Tec-1Piloting
Tec-1SecurityLockpicking
Tec-1Targeting Control Systems
Tec-2Energy Weapon Systems
Tec-2Engine Systems
Tec-2PayloadsShip cargo capacity
Tec-2Shield Systems
Tec-3Missile Weapon Systems
Tec-3Particle Beam Systems
Tec-3RoboticsExtra damage vs robots, control robots
Tec-3Starship DesignUnlocks better modules
Tec-3Starship EngineeringShip damage resistance & repair speed
Tec-4Automated Weapon Systems
Tec-4Boost Assault TrainingInflict status effects, bullet time in ADS when boosting
Tec-4EM Weapon Systems

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think my favorite is Diplomacy - at Rank 4 you can use the ability to make someone stop fighting permanently (unless you attack them again). Visions of a character who just walks around going "Yo leave me alone" and people are like "whatever noob" and go back to what they were doing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom