Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Arcane
I want to be able to loot all enemy spacesuits.
And I want there to be an animation that takes a realistic amount of time to strip a spacesuit off a dead body.
While I'm also wearing a spacesuit including the big oven mitt gloves.
In zero gee.
I figure that would take at least 20 minutes, with maximum Spacesuit Tech skill.
And I want to have to carry it realistically too, i.e. I can't carry anything else until I stow it in a storage locker.
Because realism > gameplay.
You misunderstand, it's not "realism" that I'm apprehensive about, but 16-karat Sawyer-certified Balance™. Up till now, (humanoid) enemies in Bethesda game used the same gear as the player, there was a partially level playing field in that respect and gear power levels were well stratified - e.g. an unmodded 10mm pistol in Fo4 does 18 damage and that's that, the rest is skill points. Contrast this to CBP2077 where there's no connection between what NPCs are using and what they drop, and the same model shotgun does twenty times more damage if it spawns at level 30 versus level 10. And I do believe someone mentioned coloured weapon tiers for Starfield at some point, so I've got my reserves about all that.

And on a more minor point, yeah, it was cool that you could loot NPCs down to their tooth fillings. There ain't a lot of games that let you do that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You misunderstand, it's not "realism" that I'm apprehensive about, but 16-karat Sawyer-certified Balance™. Up till now, (humanoid) enemies in Bethesda game used the same gear as the player, there was a partially level playing field in that respect and gear power levels were well stratified - e.g. an unmodded 10mm pistol in Fo4 does 18 damage and that's that, the rest is skill points. Contrast this to CBP2077 where there's no connection between what NPCs are using and what they drop, and the same model shotgun does twenty times more damage if it spawns at level 30 versus level 10. And I do believe someone mentioned coloured weapon tiers for Starfield at some point, so I've got my reserves about all that. And on a more minor point, yeah, it was cool that you could loot NPCs down to their tooth fillings. There ain't a lot of games that let you do that.
Oh, sorry, wasn't ripping on you :)
Just reminded me I'm sick of seeing folks all "It's so stupid! You should be able to loot EVERYTHING because realism!" and then strip a dead body in 1/8 second and carry 22 suits of armor back to the shop to sell
They're out there

Doktor Best

Arcane
I couldn't find this posted.

Phil Spencer says Starfield is more like Oblivion than Skyrim

Direct link if embed is not working for you.
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1694535849231437863

The way he talks about it makes it seem like his personal assistant was actually doing the playing and occasionally he barged in demanding to see a savestate directly leading to "some epic badass stuff".

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well it can't be more like Oblivion by retconning an already-established game series' lore like TES since there is no lore in this one yet, so he must mean something else.

Maybe like these inter-dimensional gates open up everywhere?

Vatnik Wumao
B8uXWzA.png

Moink

Cipher
Actually worse than I thought it would be. You'd think they would just plop you down in the area around the city/preset location if you tried to land in visual range.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I love open worlds with empty spaces you need to journey through and navigate. Too bad this is not possible in this game.

just

Liturgist
so he says if he makes a new landing zone, this one is erased
which means infinite landing zones = infinite points of interest = potentially infinite quests
you will play forever and you will like it

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
REMOVE MOTION BLUR! :argh:

Also, hard to draw a conclusion with FSR upscaling on, it's kinda meh. Dude should spill the beans without dynamic resolution and everything on Ultra.

I recommend this video to everyone who disables motion blur as a kneejerk reaction, without even knowing exactly what it is (not saying that's you, necessarily).

tl;dw
Motion blur has a bad reputation because it looked terrible in older games. Modern games usually employ more sophisticated per-object and per-pixel motion blur. Unless improperly implemented, this is a good thing and should be enabled for better smoothness and fluidity of movement.

Cyberpunk 2077, for example, has excellent motion blur. You're doing yourself a disservice if you turn it off.
Unfortunately it usually gets lumped together in the options menu with stuff like chromatic aberration and lens flare, which are indeed unnecessary visual artifacts/distortions, and should be disabled.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom