Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ind33d

Learned
Is survival mode from FO4 back? I actually really enjoyed the hunger/thirst/sleep mechanics in FO4 and 76

1693534546736928.jpg
PoV: you purchased a new gun from the weapons shop and quicksaved

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Here are some observations (I take my time and play slow)

- The gunplay is decent.
- The game feels more like Fallout 76 than 4. If you have played both you may know what I mean. Otherwise, it just has this extra floaty feel (not gravity related) as if you arent 100% connected to the ground. Fallout 4 felt more like Skryim in that you were grounded. Heavier.
- There are a lot like a whole lot of black NPC's both important and just citzens.
- Space combat is shit with a controller, mouse/kb make it feel tolerable.
- If you liked the junk collecting / scavenging of Fallout 4 then you will like all the items you can grab. I suppose they will be fore outpost building. Otherwise just get the health items etc until you know what you want.
- The graphics are good. Not great.
- I have it running on 3 systems. Two of them are Intel/Nvidia combos. The high end runs everything maxed. 80fps is the low and high above that at 4k. The other is a decent gaming rig, mix of ultra and high 1080p 60fps. The other is an AMD system, also decent not great. Same thing there 60fps 1080p. There is the occasional stutter. New Atlantis can chug at times. I can hook one of the decent gaming rigs to a 4k tv needs the info.
- Photomode is a thing. Its quite similar to Fallout 76. A lot of frames, views, etc. Quite robust.
- You can turn off your spacesuit in cities so that you aren't running around in it and instead are in your clothes.
- No FoV options.
- Some console commands turn off achievements.
- Music is beautiful at times.
- Sounds are incredible. They went all out. Distant gunfires, ambient sounds aplenty, clear voices, lots of variety of sounds.
- The citizen NPC's can look really fucking weird. It's funny though. Most are negroes and women.
- The beginning is one big tutorial. Very weird flow. I think I am still doing it. /shrug
- Most people in power have been women
- You can switch between mouse/kb and controller on the fly.

There is a lot more but thats all I am going to type for now as I feel like playing more. If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer later.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played the introduction... I really hope the space sections get better after a while. Right now the space exploration feels more like a menu simulator, not even Mass Effect 3 was this bad.

sosmoflux

Educated
This game looks absolutely miserable
It's depressing just looking at it
And every NPC is black or mixed so normal people can't even escape into a nice fantasy world
Is this a demoralization psyop?

tastywaffles

Literate
y14gu4.jpg

"The junior hoodlums who roamed their streets were symptoms of a greater sickness; their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’ . . . and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure."
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
I like how they list her occupation. Priorities: citizen first, thief second.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

- There are a lot like a whole lot of black NPC's both important and just citzens.
- The citizen NPC's can look really fucking weird. It's funny though. Most are negroes and women.
Dude, just visit Chicago.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems pretty stupid to shit on a reviewer for the scores given in the past and his political opinions.
At least if you are going to call the review scores controversial, read through the reviews.

e.g. Prey was rated 5 because of its disastrous bugs and performance issues; Stapleton later updated it to an 8.

The reason why the, practically speaking, negative reviews for Starfield are suspect is because Bethesda has become a very fashionable target and is not accorded any 'cover' because they have failed to ingratiate themselves with the liberast journalists the way Larian has with all the depraved and insufferably 'on trend' current-year garbage in BG3.

Maybe Starfield is bad, but if the review scores for it are low that won't be why.
Is Todd the new Molyneux? I remember everyone was out to get him for a good while.

Self-Ejected

- The gunplay is decent.
- The game feels more like Fallout 76 than 4. If you have played both you may know what I mean. Otherwise, it just has this extra floaty feel (not gravity related) as if you arent 100% connected to the ground. Fallout 4 felt more like Skryim in that you were grounded. Heavier.
- Space combat is shit with a controller, mouse/kb make it feel tolerable.
- If you liked the junk collecting / scavenging of Fallout 4 then you will like all the items you can grab. I suppose they will be fore outpost building. Otherwise just get the health items etc until you know what you want.
- The graphics are good. Not great.
- I have it running on 3 systems. Two of them are Intel/Nvidia combos. The high end runs everything maxed. 80fps is the low and high above that at 4k. The other is a decent gaming rig, mix of ultra and high 1080p 60fps. The other is an AMD system, also decent not great. Same thing there 60fps 1080p. There is the occasional stutter. New Atlantis can chug at times. I can hook one of the decent gaming rigs to a 4k tv needs the info.
- Photomode is a thing. Its quite similar to Fallout 76. A lot of frames, views, etc. Quite robust.
- You can turn off your spacesuit in cities so that you aren't running around in it and instead are in your clothes.
- No FoV options.
- Some console commands turn off achievements.
- Music is beautiful at times.
- Sounds are incredible. They went all out. Distant gunfires, ambient sounds aplenty, clear voices, lots of variety of sounds.
- The beginning is one big tutorial. Very weird flow. I think I am still doing it. /shrug
- You can switch between mouse/kb and controller on the fly.

There is a lot more but thats all I am going to type for now as I feel like playing more. If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer later.
Mhhh i wonder at the modding potential

mkultra

Augur
I think probably the biggest Lie Todd told here was that space travel was open world and seamless, its not, its basically like Wing Commander where you press a button and a cutscene plays.
All of the corner cutting they've done on this game is some of the worst they've ever done.
I've known since at least last year that it wasn't seamless. He told it in an interview and there was controversy around it of course.
This is from 2022: https://www.cbr.com/starfield-seamless-space-flight-todd-howard-bethesda/

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I've known since at least last year that it wasn't seamless. He told it in an interview and there was controversy around it of course.
no you don't understand, you're talking about landing on planets. I'm talking about the actual space flight, you can't actually fly from planet to planet, the transition between space sectors is done as a cutscene just as it is landing on planets.
Its very very lame. More so than I could've ever imagined, its not even a good cutscene.

Trithne

Erudite
Just  watching someone play the tutorial is making me want to neck myself. Listening to the robot explain how to do things at a rate of one word a minute.

And the premise is... what? The Constellation dude just says "I'll stay here as collateral while this dude takes my ship home". Nonsensical.

Edit: Ah, I see ladders are still beyond Bethesda's capabilities.

mkultra

Augur
no you don't understand, you're talking about landing on planets. I'm talking about the actual space flight, you can't actually fly from planet to planet, the transition between space sectors is done as a cutscene just as it is landing on planets.
Its very very lame. More so than I could've ever imagined, its not even a good cutscene.
True, that part was even lamer, i cant say i expected it though, to me the whole thing with space travel was already ruined and i didn't just think it would be good or any kind of focus in the game really.
The tech is just so much worse than NMS, a small indie team vs 500 people who created this game. That's pretty bad.

It's a no buy for me, i'll try it though..

If they'd been more honest from the start it would've done them a great favor i think. But no, they must oversell it, this just leads to people getting very sad and angry + maybe even poor review scores.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This game looks absolutely miserable
It's depressing just looking at it
And every NPC is black or mixed so normal people can't even escape into a nice fantasy world
Is this a demoralization psyop?
Yeah, this is what I was saying earlier in another thread:

Big studios get all their money from an initial sale. They mainly care about the first 10 hours or so, since that's all people finish, and they heavily rely on big money and on the media machine for ads, reviews and buzz in general.

But then you have Japanese and Korean gacha games, which although complete rip-offs are funded by user purchases. Users need to like the game content and want additional content enough to pull out their wallets. Regularly.

Go to any gacha game and count the number of black women vs the number of white women. Real Princess and the Frog reality check. FGO, for example, has I think one actually black woman out of 375 characters.

The problem is, the whole world has gotten used to blacks being forced into every media. So, for an initial sale, where all you're seeing is a commercial and only start thinking about this stuff hours later, it's not a problem.

But if you really had to choose with your wallet the kind of characters you want in the game, you'd probably pick European, Asian or any other race first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom