Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

thesecret1

Arcane
Steam users claim the game is woke as fuck with in-game books basically shilling far-left politics. Is that true?

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Some might go even further, and object to the mere idea of looking at vidya gaymes through a cultural war lens and finding it fucking retarded to use games as the measure of "The Decline of The West(tm)"
Did you know that archeologists have named civilizations after what type of clay pots they made?

In a couple of centuries from now when emperor Konstantin III deploys an archeological expedition from the old capital Putingrad to the American wasteland and they dig through the sunken ruins they might find the skeleton (classified as male, some sort of simian) of a genderqueer mutt planted on a rainbow dildo, without any written records on clay or stone tablets to give this civilization a name they would call this culture the rainbow dildo culture. Or they might find the copy of Starfield next to the plot skeleton and call it the Starfield culture. They might also tie this together with the sudden collapse of the drinking straw industry as well as an increase in findings of a strange fusion between human and primate skeletons on this layer of their excavation.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
What we REALLY need to know is whether or not it has a day/night cycle. That's what decides if a game is good or not.
of course it has day and night cycle. it has weathers too and injuries conditions if you jump too high for example. reminds me a lot of modded beth games. Just arrived at my first planet and am just walking around in beth game fashion mining ore, collecting weird alien plants and just killed a giant alien thing and looted it for parts. Aboard the ship is a research station that requires parts to unlock stuff, haven't really looked much into the crafting and research yet.

Vyvian

Educated
How egregious is the immortal NPC situation? Is everyone protected from murderhobo tendencies or can you go wild for fun?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Boy when even mainstream outlets like GameSpot complain about the game's insipid and inoffensive writing, lack of identity and overall shallowness, you know Bethesda has outdone itself at reaching a new bottom. These guys really lost the plot entirely ever since Ken Rolston left.

Would have been fun seeing what Obsidian could have done with the engine.

Vic

Savant
playing bethesda games for the plot? I'm just exploring and mining and killing shit, who cares about "save the universe, chosen one!" (probably)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The game is just a loading screen fest. Fly to system (loading screen) land (loading screen) disembark ship (loading screen) enter building. (loading screen) You spend more time in the menus than you do playing the damn game. There's no sense of scope of wonder from exploration because it's just selecting things from a menu. (with the worst UI design of any Bethesda game)
I guess this explains why an SSD is mandatory for starfield, this sounds like it would be borderline unplayable with HDD loading times.

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
I think this has been, to my big surprise honestly, an extraordinarily good year for games so far, certainly the best since the PS3 era started I believe, but this here ain't it. I just watched about 2h of this crap on Twitch, the game's just awful and mods won't salvage it. The UI is probably the single most soulless one I have ever seen in my entire life (including unmodded Skyrim), game's obviously a parade of woke trash in your face 24/7, body type 1-2, walk style 1-2 (in case you want your male err, body type 1 character wiggling his ass while he walks), pick your pronouns, the atmosphere is REALLY subpar (which is probably this game's biggest sin), dialogue is terrible, loading screens galore, space gameplay is BEYOND godawful, all quests I've seen were seriously unfun and uninteresting. It's baffling, really. It's like Bethesda thinks that the sum of a bunch of terrible pieces will miraculously turn into greatness. No, it won't.

Edit: forgot to say that the combat, to no one's surprise, is shit and has no oomph feel whatsoever.
Starfield has the highest modding ceiling for any game ever. The stupid number of planets is so modders can fill in the galaxy with custom content without causing conflicts. After a few community patches, Starfield will be better than Skyrim

Considering how bland the Fallout 4 modding community is compared to Skyrim (Even compared to Skyrim SE/AE versions) I highly doubt it. Just compare the most trending mods for each game on the nexus. Skyrim still receives some major DAR animations/mechanics, locations, specific graphic updates alongside some booba mods of course. Fallout 4 is completely stale with mostly mods being new weapons/gear.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/trending/

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/trending/

Starfield has a long way to go. With Bethesda being more annoying than ever with their store and microtransactions.
Fallout's setting makes mods much more restricting, while the content already present isn't that exciting. The latest trend seems to focus on tactical combat with assets ripped from other games like CoD, and those don't get uploaded to Nexus for obvious copyright reasons.

Contrast to that, Starfield being set in space and having multiple planets practically begs for content from various sci-fi settings. Give it enough time, and you'll have total overhauls set in Star Wars or whatever and a whole lightsaber combat system. Todd and modders will give us a Star Wars game that Disney never will.

Vic

Savant
The game is just a loading screen fest. Fly to system (loading screen) land (loading screen) disembark ship (loading screen) enter building. (loading screen) You spend more time in the menus than you do playing the damn game. There's no sense of scope of wonder from exploration because it's just selecting things from a menu. (with the worst UI design of any Bethesda game)
how about actually walking around the planets and exploring them and not speedrunning the story

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
gzaiaNa.jpg
POV: The player made a White character.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What I really want to see in a space game is a sense of scale and vastness - and so few manage it (EVE Online, Elite Dangerous, a few others - haven't played the X games, do they have it?). Not that a game without that is unplayable, but no matter what virtues it may otherwise have (e.g. Freelancer's fun shooting and exploration, Stellar Tactics' enjoyable tactical combat) if it doesn't have a sense of scale, it's missing out on the potentially biggest selling point of a space game.

Let me feel the vastness, let me feel lost in an abyss of vastness, let me feel my tiny ship as a home, a beacon, a brave little boat sustaining me and my crew. Let me feel planets as alien and unpredictable, needing science to understand; but let the capabilities of my ship and armaments match all but the biggest, most unaccountable threats. Then you've got a space game.

It hasn't really been made yet - only bits of it in different games.

Empyrion Galactic Survival is flat out huge with 10s of thousands of planets in star systems. You can build to your hearts content and the workshop has tons of items to use in your game. Did I mention that it's also multiplayer?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been watching someone play for an hour or two, and beyond it being a typical Bethesda game, the game just seems so fragmented. You just travel from place to place to kill random mercenary mooks that can tank a shit ton of damage. And all the traveling is basically just fade to black loading screens. The companions seem mega busted. Most of the time they just stand around, and sometimes they even enter space without their suits. The main quest so far for the player has been collecting random items, for something(??).

It just comes off as a halfhearted Fallout 4 spin-off to me, made by the interns. And yeah, Marvel/Reddit tier writing strikes again.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Digging the survival aspect of exploration. If you sprint too much your suit fills up with CO2 and you get lung damage from it. If you jump too high you get contusions, etc. Locations are filled with dangerous aliens that will fuck you up if you are unprepared

Starfield-9-1-2023-2-28-08-PM.png

Starfield-9-1-2023-2-24-24-PM.png

Vic

Savant
First impression: Skyrim in space with Fallout 4 survival mechanics. I am so far just exploring the first planet Kreet, found an abandoned research lab full with murderous robots and a crash site with some creepy ass alien (above) also space bread:

Starfield-9-1-2023-2-40-09-PM.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom