Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What I really want to see in a space game is a sense of scale and vastness
Problem with vastness is it needs procedural generation, which is boring and gives you a feeling of playing an algorithm instead of a game.

Plus it also requires so many gamey movement "hacks" (i.e. Elite having three different engine "modes") it rips you right out of your space vibes.

TLDR realistic vast space is mind-ossifyingly boring and to make it exciting you gotta gamify it up so much it stops feeling like a vast space.

I thought the engine modes in ED were quite realistic - little different than Star Trek's 3 engine modes really. In terms of "flying around in space" I think that game got the actual travelling around (while maintaining a sense of scale) the best yet, it gave you the sense of enormous distance between stars and planets, but was gamified enough and hands-on enough to be not boring, and didn't take too long to be boring either (and you're always going to want to be able to skip time for really long interstellar journeys anyway).

ProcGen was done very well by the original Elite, although that was at a much more primitive level where it could be done convincingly within the tech constraints and abstraction parameters then. It's likely that procedural generation going forward (which has the much harder job of filling in entire planets' worth of detail) needs to work in tandem with AI to make it work properly (which is why I say this type of game hasn't really been made yet).

What you're going to need is a "Potemkin Universe," so it's designed around you and your choices, as a DM would, but without making it feel subjectively like it's designed around you and your choices, in a way that leads you through an intended story. And I think that can only be done by an AI that's aware of a designed main story and some designed ancillary set pieces, which then kind of surreptitiously guides you and the ProcGen both, towards it. Basically the original idea for Daggerfall, but magnified x100.

I don't see why good trash encounter design can't be procedurally-generated with AI and ProcGen working in tandem too. One might think, "Well then, what's left for the actual developers to design?" Still plenty: the basic art design, the story and set pieces, the lore flavour. Everything does still have to be "seeded" by human design and have a handmade flavour. At its core, it's still got to be some humans entertaining other humans, humans telling other humans stories around a campfire.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sheeeeiiiit
4327983274324jqfer.png
lol, that one top right looks for all the world like Cassius Clay :)

Rhobar121

Scholar
Am I the only one who thinks the character models look like Andromeda? I wonder how many memes have been made with this.

Fargus

Arcane
Imagine defending ESG 3 over character models to attack Starfield. Both games are ESG shit.

I wouldnt say defending it, just comparing which one is less of an ESG garbage brainrot out of curiosity. Bethesda, Larian and Microsoft all can burn for all i care and take their games with them.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine defending ESG 3 over character models to attack Starfield. Both games are ESG shit.

I wouldnt say defending it, just comparing which one is less of an ESG garbage brainrot out of curiosity. Bethesda, Larian and Microsoft all can burn for all i care and take their games with them.

Fair enough

:hero:

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Yeah, so this is pretty much Fallout 5 but without any of the original fallout ideas, so basically all elements of Fallout 4 that were bethesda's ideas, without any of the charm of the originals. Lot's of garbage loot like in F4, combat, exploration. Once you are in a building you are pretty much playing Fallout 5. Lots of random crap that you can loot like toilet paper and pens, well, if you've played F4 you know what I mean.

It really did not revolutionize anything imo, just made a better Bethesda Fallout, again without all of the OG fallout themes.

If you liked Fallout 4, you will probably like this a lot. Personally, I am getting bored because I don't really like the gameplay loop of having to check every corner and under every table for some hidden loot or messege.

I'll keep playing it and if it deviates from the F4 formula I'll update but I am not hopeful.

The mechanic of upgrading your power armor is taken to now being able to upgrade your space suit and your ship.

Let's see.

Kiste

Augur
Premium has access since 2 am today.
Somehow I find it hard to believe that 200k people paid $100 for a Bugthesda game in advance.
Imagine actually believing this. This game is going to sell 10 million copies even if the reviews were all negative.

They will re-release this piece of shit as Complete Edition, Special Edition, Legendary Edition and Bethesda 30-Year-Anniversary Edition and Bethestards will buy it again and again for the additional robot cosmetics and ship decals that you get for pre-ordering.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I haven't gotten to the space exploration yet but IF my guess is right, it will be something like "radiant dungeons". basically procedurally generated Fallout 4 dungeons which you can play forever. Again I don't like that gameplay loop but if you loved collecting trash in F4 and killing shit in first person with gunz I guess you can play this forever now.

This is my guess btw for how it will unfold, I"m still on the first planet, or moon rather.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, so this is pretty much Fallout 5 but without any of the original fallout ideas, so basically all elements of Fallout 4 that were bethesda's ideas, without any of the charm of the originals. Lot's of garbage loot like in F4, combat, exploration. Once you are in a building you are pretty much playing Fallout 5. Lots of random crap that you can loot like toilet paper and pens, well, if you've played F4 you know what I mean.

It really did not revolutionize anything imo, just made a better Bethesda Fallout, again without all of the OG fallout themes.

If you liked Fallout 4, you will probably like this a lot. Personally, I am getting bored because I don't really like the gameplay loop of having to check every corner and under every table for some hidden loot or messege.

I'll keep playing it and if it deviates from the F4 formula I'll update but I am not hopeful.

The mechanic of upgrading your power armor is taken to now being able to upgrade your space suit and your ship.

Let's see.
Answer the most important question, can you build completely pointless shacks that don't add anything to the game? Inquiring minds want to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom