Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kiste

Augur
I think I found a white person in New Apelantis.

He's working at Starbucks.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
ydXJk3e.png

Putin's grandson? Prigozhin's true form?

Listening to this guy with a Russian accent is genuinely hilarious.

(Ignore the zoomer streamer with his face spammed in the corner. I ain't buying this shit.)

Wasteland

Educated
Todd Howard's latest masterpiece makes me very excited to play in an expansive space sandbox with procedural content and emergent storylines

... yep, firing up X4 again.

What I really want to see in a space game is a sense of scale and vastness - and so few manage it (EVE Online, Elite Dangerous, a few others - haven't played the X games, do they have it?). Not that a game without that is unplayable, but no matter what virtues it may otherwise have (e.g. Freelancer's fun shooting and exploration, Stellar Tactics' enjoyable tactical combat) if it doesn't have a sense of scale, it's missing out on the potentially biggest selling point of a space game.

Let me feel the vastness, let me feel lost in an abyss of vastness, let me feel my tiny ship as a home, a beacon, a brave little boat sustaining me and my crew. Let me feel planets as alien and unpredictable, needing science to understand; but let the capabilities of my ship and armaments match all but the biggest, most unaccountable threats. Then you've got a space game.

It hasn't really been made yet - only bits of it in different games.

Yeah it's a tough nut to crack.

I'm a fan of the X games; X4 does have huge sector maps, and tons of them, and the game can give you a feeling of "whoa, that's big" when you fly near a big ship or a station--player built stations can get truly nuts, potentially filling a 20x20x20 kilometer plot. You can also amass and assemble a ludicrous number of ships; I own over 2,000 in my latest play through--but I don't know that the game conveys the vastness of space especially well. X4 can also be intimidating to new players, but it is an engrossing experience once you get used to the arcane UI. In fact, it's almost too engrossing: X4 truly allows you to pursue any path you desire, as long as that path involves a heavy dose of autism. And it has fantastic mod support, though a number of the good ones are only available on the Steam Workshop. Best not to buy the game elsewhere.

Certainly Elite does the "vastness of space" much better; unfortunately Elite's game play is shallow and extremely grindy. I'm actually grinding my teeth right now just thinking about my many hours in that game. No Man's Sky, from what I hear, is also huge but shallow. Spacebourne 2 looks promising, but it's an Early Access game built by a single developer; adjust expectations accordingly. I've heard good things about Empyrion, though it sounds like that game requires a level of autism that goes beyond even the average X4 player's. Then there's Avorion, which looks like the love child of X4 and Minecraft, not sure how I feel about that. Otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

It really is a shame about Starfield. I didn't follow the game prior to reading this thread, but I had vague hopes for it. Sounds like Bethesda did manage a near impossible achievement, though--they released a space game that makes the infamous pixel pyramid scheme, Star Citizen, look somewhat appealing by comparison. Kudos for that, Todd. I don't know that you can even count on the modding community here; Starfield's "sandbox" seems far more constraining than, say, Skyrim's. I guess modders could make pretty loading screen wallpapers, perhaps printed with tips for finding better games.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
guys, I know it's funny that there are a buncha niggers in the city but come on, you don't hang out in the city all the time, you are out there exploring, collecting and crafting, also installing nude mods and having sex orgies on your space ship with female wookies and blue alien women

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
guys, I know it's funny that there are a buncha niggers in the city but come on, you don't hang out in the city all the time, you are out there exploring, collecting and crafting, also installing nude mods and having sex orgies on your space ship with female wookies and blue alien women

The turning into Grauken for Starfiled pipeline.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That video has been posted at least 4 times now in this thread.
Omg, seriously? Here is one for you then, has this been posted?

You sound upset. I just was informing you that this video had been posted numerous times as a friendly gesture.

Why are you so easily offended these days? Is it because you're trying to raise your ESG score?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Totally getting Monster Hunter vibes. Killing and farming shit to upgrade my weapons to go to more dangerous planets and killing bigger monsters/aliens. Much improved gameplay on Fallout 4.

Btw somebody needs to do a Han Solo playthru.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not to brag but I was able to deduce these limitations from their presentation videos alone. You just have to rein in wishful thinking and listen carefully to what he says and doesn't say.
the problem is that Bethesda are intentionally vague and they go out of their way to prevent the user seeing whats behind the curtain. Todd said everything he needed to say in order to make people's imaginations run wild and then ultimately they get disapointed and the arguement comes in "What did you expect?" or "You misinterpreted it thus its your fault" I don't buy those arguments, Bethesda intentionally misleads and its not just BGS it extends to the entire Zenimax group as well. I'm tired of people giving them a free pass and apologists go out of their way to blame people who aren't the developers.

They are never transparent with their customers. They never show their product until the very last moment - everything else is bullshot and can be misinterpreted (again so many other developers get criticized for it, why not BGS then why the fuck do they get a double standard?).

The thing is if you're having to rein in expectations, not get excited for something or not let your imagination run wild then as a developer you've therefore incorrectly communicated to your audience. Release a demo, then you won't have that problem. From my experience with Oblivion you feel like absolute shit when the game you bought has the core feature you bought it for entirely missing, RadiantAI and the way they advertised it was grossly misleading and intentionally malicious. I don't get why people defend it, it was blatantly anti-consumer - even more so when Daggerfall had a demo so its not like they couldn't have done it. If Todd says stupid shit then prove it.

A customer should be able to buy with confidence.
I agree, it's a conman MO, and it's either kids, or abused housewives-mentality old gamers who buy into the hype. Why hasn't anyone tried to sue Todd for false advertising? I thought the US is the land where people sue each other into oblivion for all sorts of crazy things.

Last edited:

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
If you liked settlement building in FO4, SF is gonna blow your mind.

I'm not a very creative person, so this will do for now. My own private abode away from the niggers in the big city.

Starfield-9-2-2023-3-47-00-PM.png

Edit: Maybe I should place a gigantic watch tower like this:

Starfield-9-2-2023-3-52-07-PM.png

Edit2: A military grade scan booster, yeah, outposts are going to be huge in size.

Starfield-9-2-2023-3-59-07-PM.png

Edit3: Yeah, huge

Starfield-9-2-2023-4-00-29-PM.png
fuck your building simulator. No true rpg fan gives a fuck about this shit. Only bethesda cretins and shills like this stuff.

Reinhardt

Arcane
said nigger who "wot, you didn't even spent 10 hours in niggasaki doing quests?!"

Herumor

Scholar
Totally getting Monster Hunter vibes. Killing and farming shit to upgrade my weapons to go to more dangerous planets and killing bigger monsters/aliens. Much improved gameplay on Fallout 4.
Monster Hunter at least has some variety in weapons you use and monsters you fight. Shit feels all the same everywhere you go in Starfield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom