Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
okay guys, I'm hooked on the planetary exploration! Just found 3 species of aliens battling it out in the wilderness:

Starfield-9-2-2023-12-47-47-PM.png

There appear to be at least 4 tiers of loot, no star, 1 (uncommon), 2 stars (rare) and 3 stars (exotic) from what I've seen.

Starfield-9-2-2023-12-52-32-PM.png

And it's addicting to just walk around and see what you can find and what loot you can get. Haven't even started with the crafting yet, just exploring outside of New Atlantis, new locations that are nearby are revealed on the map as you come close. I guess once I can build planet outposts that will be made easier.

Starfield-9-2-2023-12-55-42-PM.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think probably the biggest Lie Todd told here was that space travel was open world and seamless, its not, its basically like Wing Commander where you press a button and a cutscene plays.
All of the corner cutting they've done on this game is some of the worst they've ever done.
All bullshit aside, I think Todd's dropped the ball on the space stuff, the scope of this "cosmic exploration" has been rolled back again and again and into oblivion. I mean, we all knew there was some, uh, poetic license when he first pitched us, as always, but this time it's like the compromises have whittled the promise down to nothing:

"We're making a massive galaxy for you to explore, a thousand planets, procgen, spaceflight, it's our biggest game ever!"
"Cool, so I can fly through the clouds and touch down wherever I want!"
"Well, uh, not really, you can only fly to orbit, the landing's a loading screen."
"Oh, well that's a bit of a letdown. But still, I can just land wherever I want and explore the whole planet?"
"Sure!... But only one parcel at a time. And when you go to a different parcel, the old one despawns, they're all RNG instances."
"Huh. Well, I guess it's hard to save all that data, you know since they're all teeming with life and stuff..."
"Only 10% of them. So 100 planets have life, the other 900 are barren rocks... But you can still mine them for resources!"
"Right... So it's like a survival/economy loop, I might touch down and get some stuff while I'm flying across a star system..."
"No, you can only fly in a planet's orbit, the rest if fast travel."
"Motherfucker!"

So what we've got here is more of a fragmented Skyrim with some space-themed fast travel and optional random dungeons. Which I'd be okay with, but if you tell me you're making a "space game" - and marketing sure as fuck did - I kinda expect it to be a space game, not vaguely "inspired by space." Bethesda really glued a "kick me!" sign on their own backs with this one.

TLDR: This time, the lies ain't so little and they ain't so sweet.
Not to brag but I was able to deduce these limitations from their presentation videos alone. You just have to rein in wishful thinking and listen carefully to what he says and doesn't say.

Though I do see lots of people astounded with being cheated, again.

Robber Baron

Savant
Star Trek Bridge Commander which is the same engine has the exact same problem - but it can be excused given that was like 20+ years ago.
I'm going to go with, when a spaceship goes FTL you lose double floating point precision and also because Bethesda notoriously uses a different scale in their game (people joke that you're basically a dwarf/child), what likely happened was they realized how hard it was going to be to pull off FTL with their engine because its only single point precision and just copied Bridge Commander's implementation. You have to have the engine built around double floating point otherwise you cannot do it, in the case of Kerbal they had to implement something called a floating origin, this is why Gamebryo is a bad choice for games like this and why StarCitizen had to fork CryEngine.

They could've made FTL a cutscene it still would've been better, like you point on a star map where to FTL and travel there over a cutscene don't even need to load a new level just a quick cutscene
I mean game design always worked with limitations to achieve its goals, it's just in this case (((goood enough))) was the goal

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So regarding the spaceship crafting. Can you actually use the interior of the ship like No Man's Sky (every compartment you build has interior space you can walk through) or no?

Vic

Savant
game just crashed for the first (!) time after running since yesterday (tabbed out) after I ran way, way up north from New Atlantis. I learned that exploring a planet on foot is probably not a good idea, going to look into building planetary bases now to help with exploration

Kiste

Augur
I've just been through the backstory info dump in the stupid Hall of Orientation and they're unironically claiming that the whole population of planet Earth was evacuated to the new colonies. OK, I guess that explains why there are so many negroes in space but this is some of the most milquetoast storytelling in the history of SciFi.

Robotigan

Learned
Bethesda has better economy and progression than like 99% of open world games out there which is why they've been so successful and are able to achieve monstrous playtimes kind of like a management sim. Most open worlds and open world RPGs even have terrible economy.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Not to brag but I was able to deduce these limitations from their presentation videos alone. You just have to rein in wishful thinking and listen carefully to what he says and doesn't say.
the problem is that Bethesda are intentionally vague and they go out of their way to prevent the user seeing whats behind the curtain. Todd said everything he needed to say in order to make people's imaginations run wild and then ultimately they get disapointed and the arguement comes in "What did you expect?" or "You misinterpreted it thus its your fault" I don't buy those arguments, Bethesda intentionally misleads and its not just BGS it extends to the entire Zenimax group as well. I'm tired of people giving them a free pass and apologists go out of their way to blame people who aren't the developers.

They are never transparent with their customers. They never show their product until the very last moment - everything else is bullshot and can be misinterpreted (again so many other developers get criticized for it, why not BGS then why the fuck do they get a double standard?).

The thing is if you're having to rein in expectations, not get excited for something or not let your imagination run wild then as a developer you've therefore incorrectly communicated to your audience. Release a demo, then you won't have that problem. From my experience with Oblivion you feel like absolute shit when the game you bought has the core feature you bought it for entirely missing, RadiantAI and the way they advertised it was grossly misleading and intentionally malicious. I don't get why people defend it, it was blatantly anti-consumer - even more so when Daggerfall had a demo so its not like they couldn't have done it. If Todd says stupid shit then prove it.

A customer should be able to buy with confidence.

Vic

Savant
There is a bit of Morrowind/Oblivion where skills increase by using them. The way it works in Starfield is that every time you level up you get a skill point. There are perks that either increase weapon damage, or unlock new recipes etc. But to buy the next rank of perk you have to complete a "challenge". For example, to upgrade to Lasers Rank 2 you have to kill 20 enemies with a laser weapon. To upgrade to Gastronomy Rank 2, which allows the research and crafting of better foods, you need to craft 5 food items. And so on.

While the game looks good indoors, outdoors it's just a fucking blurry ugly pile of shit. No vistas, no sence of wonder
I am playing on the lowest settings with all bells and whistles turned off.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Perhaps one day we will understand what drove Bethesda, a game developer known for creating seven Open World games from 1994 to 2015, into spending eight years creating a space game that is neither Open World nor really a space game. :M

Because they don't give a fuck. And why should they? They know there will be millions of retards lined up to buy anything they shit out no matter how bad it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom