Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Stokowski

Arcane
Can you kill ugly NPCs without breaking the strands of fate? Asking for a friend.

:martini:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
So if you steal a ship, it may be valued at 100k but you get only 10k for it, plus you have to register it first before you can sell it, which costs 10k.... so without any bartering perks or whatever, stealing ships to resell isn't profitable.

Zariusz

Arbiter

If you guys want to harvest resources and build a base and explore a vast desolate rock, Titan Outpost is 1000x better. It has more in-depth RPG mechanics and better writing too.

I wonder when its sequel is going to release, by now its already in development for a few years i think.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL played for a few hours....must say that it is the most generic game i had played. Feels like no man's sky and brutalist english blok ghettos had a child and this is it. Planet exploration is retarded,you land on random place,mark some random structure and go to them to explore them,thus enter a skyrim cavern #1246624823. Worst part is that i have way to fast move between places to explore,you can't fly the ship and park it in front,you have to spend 20 minutes running around. Also lol at running,you have the lung capacity of american girl aka 150 kg on a scooter.

Vic

Savant
Also trees seem to be randomly generated if you leave a planet and re-enter. Now there are trees everywhere in my base, which I built in open air. So I guess I have to build a proper base now.

Starfield-9-2-2023-7-06-27-PM.png

Lemming42

Arcane
The lack of memorable characters is starting to wear me down. The only person I can even name at this point is Sarah, and that's only because she's standing behind me at all times.

Done a few quests but nobody sticks in the mind. I helped some settlers fend off some "Spacers" and, while they had a little feud going on between them, I barely had any dialogue options with any of them and I've now forgotten their names. I also did a few quests in the first city including one with junction boxes, which had two decent characters, but the quest was comparatively brief and neither of them had anything much to say afterwards.

I mean, by this point in Skyrim and Fo3, you'd met probably over twenty memorable characters you could name. Right now the only people I can name are Sarah and Lin, and Lin is a tutorial charater who hasn't shown up since the first 20 mins of the game.

Space is vast but it seems like there's nobody interesting to meet out there, which makes me wonder what the point of flying around is.

I've reached the city of Neon which looks and is structured exactly like that place in The Outer Worlds with all the neon lights shit everywhere. Making my way through the crowds of Citizen, desperately hoping for someone interesting to come along.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just like Fallout 3.. and Oblivion.. And Skyrim.. And Fallout 4.. And Fallout 76..
Fo4 definitely, and maybe Oblivion too.

Skyrim and Fo3 though, I could name like twenty memorable characters who you meet in the first couple hours of each game. You can definitely criticise the actual writing quality of those characters, but at least I remember them.

Here, off the top of my head, Fo3:
The Overseer, who can show up again later in a major quest depending on your choices
Amata, same as above
Dad, who drives the first half of the main quest
Officer Gomez, who again shows up later
Butch, who can become a companion later
Lucas Simms, who can give you a quest and is involved in two other quests
Moira Brown, who gives you one of the most lengthy and structurally-complex quests in the game
Jenny from the food stall, who can give you a small unmarked quest
Moriarty, who can give you a quest and is involved in the main quest
Silver, who is part of Moriarty's quest
Gob the bartender Ghoul
Lucy, who can give you a lengthy quest

That's all in the first 90 minutes of the game, assuming the player reaches and partially explores Megaton in that time. You might not like these characters and you might think they're badly written and annoying, but they're at least named characters with clear personalities who are ingrained into the game's world and can not only provide you with gameplay content such as quests, but also give you lore tidbits and let you express your character through your dialogue choices and actions regarding them.

I'll try Skyrim too:
Hadvar, who triggers the main quest
Stormcloak guy (forgot his name), who triggers the main quest on the other side
Tullius, who comes up again later in both the main quest and the civil war quest
Elenwen, who comes up again in the main quest
Ulfric, who comes up again in the main quest and the civil war quest
Gerdur, who can give you a bit of lore and direct you to the mill, where you can make money
Hod, Gerdur's husband at the mill who will buy the logs from you
Sven, who can give you a small quest involving two other residents
Faendal, ditto
Camilla, ditto, who also puts you on to the Bleak Falls Barrow quest
Camilla's brother (forgot his name), also involved in Bleak Falls Barrow
The drunkard outside the tavern
Delphine, who's involved in the main quest

(then, if you make it to Whiterun)

Adrienne, who gives you blacksmith training and a lot of loredump
Irileth, who is involved heavily in the main quest
Balgruuf, involved heavily in the main quest
Uthgerd, a potential companion
Jenassa, a potential companion
Nazeem "HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE CLOUD DISTRICT LATELY"
Braith, who has a small unmarked quest
Carlotta, who has a small quest
The creepy guy harassing Carlotta, involved in aforementioned quest
etc

Meanwhile in Starfield, I've been to two major cities and been playing for like eight hours and I can only name two characters, one of whom hasn't been on screen for seven hours and forty-five minutes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If in the old fallouts you were hunting for copper because you needed it to build your base or whatever, you are now hunting for planets that have natural copper resources, so that you can add them to your inter-solar production network.
No, in old Fallout you were hunting for your daddy. You know a scientist in a blue suit with number xx.

Copper was from FO4.
I mean, by this point in Skyrim and Fo3, you'd met probably over twenty memorable characters you could name.
Name 20 characters from Skyrim, and 20 characters from Fo3. No looking things up online.
I don't remember a single one.

edit: I managed to forget about Moira in a single day. Also there was that radio person named dog, and that old man and his butler in the tower.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I mean, by this point in Skyrim and Fo3, you'd met probably over twenty memorable characters you could name.
Name 20 characters from Skyrim, and 20 characters from Fo3. No looking things up online.
I just tried this on my own, and I barely got to 20 between both games, and only because Skyrim has each of its faction quest lines reuse a few characters over and over.

Delphine
Esbern
Arngeir
Ralof
Hadvar
Karliah
Mercer
Roggvir
Ulfric
Tullius
Balgruf
Paarthurnax
Alduin

Dad (Liam Neeson)
Colonel Autumn
President Eden
Doctor Li
Burke
Tenpenny
Moira

Lemming42

Arcane
Pretty much all the sidequests in Fo3 revolve around some kind of memorable character (not always memorable for the right reasons, of course, thanks to Emil's dodgy writing).

Agatha (from "Agatha's song"), Tenpenny and Burke and Ghoul Leader Guy (from "Tenpenny Tower"), Harold (from "Oasis"), Moira (from "Wasteland Survival Guide"), Sidney and Abraham (from "Stealing Independence"), Three Dog the absolute CUNT ("Galaxy News Radio" or w/e the quest is called), etc.

I can already envision three hundred replies saying "YOU THINK ABRAHAM IS A GREAT CHARACTER?!!". No, but I remember these characters, they have clearly-written personalities and motiviations and reasons to exist in the game world, even if you think they're annoying or that the plot/world makes no sense or whatever. I can't even name anyone I find memorably annoying in Starfield, meanwhile.

Lemming42

Arcane
I've been quasi-defending Fo3 on here for years, don't worry about it.

If anything, that should just prove I have a very high tolerance for Bethesda games, and yet even I can't find much to like in Starfield (though it's still not as bad as Fo4).

Vic

Savant
So you are saying it's a better Fallout 4? Like a Fallout 5?

By the way, how can they ever release a Fallout 5 if this is pretty much exactly the same thing. Are they dropping the IP?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I just tried this on my own, and I barely got to 20 between both games, and only because Skyrim has each of its faction quest lines reuse a few characters over and over.

Delphine
Esbern
Arngeir
Ralof
Hadvar
Karliah
Mercer
Roggvir
Ulfric
Tullius
Balgruf
Paarthurnax
Alduin

Dad (Liam Neeson)
Colonel Autumn
President Eden
Doctor Li
Burke
Tenpenny
Moira
I can't confirm that these are real characters, since I don't know half of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom