Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Enemies are super diverse btw. I’m shooting at least 50% chicks in combat. If you’ve played AssCreed Odyssey/Valhalla it’s exactly like that.
If you shoot chicks, that's fine. But from the streams I saw, you are mostly shooting beasts/creatures. And it doesn't look fun.
I’m talking about the space pirates. They are absolute villains but they have a very strict diversity quota.

racofer

Thread Incliner
1693657806370922.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, this game is extremely boring. I never played Fallout 4, but aside from that Starfield is the worst Bethesda game yet. Incredibly bland and dull. After these few hours I'll just uninstall it, I think. Playing it feels like doing a job I hate more than gaming.

Bethesda can't even make copy-paste of Precursors, even with their much higher budget :M

I don't think even mods can fix it to anything playable. This game is terrible. Honestly, I'd rather replay any TES or even *spits on the floor* Fallout 3, at least it was so bad it had good moments, but Starfield is just purely boring.

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh god it's so fucking boring navigating these areas. Endless game of "chase the quest marker" where you walk through endless streets full of empty/meaningless buildings and Citizen NPCs.

Then your only reprieve is to finally leave the city... and head into into procgen'd, empty wilderness. Nooo!

The cities are all needlessly big too. Todd jerked himself silly over the idea of everything being BIG but in practice it's just like being trapped in a fucking BioWare map, massive amounts of wasted space you're forced to walk through to find the one NPC/door you actually want.

Perkel

Arcane
Damn, this game is extremely boring. I never played Fallout 4, but aside from that Starfield is the worst Bethesda game yet. Incredibly bland and dull. After these few hours I'll just uninstall it, I think. Playing it feels like doing a job I hate more than gaming.

Bethesda can't even make copy-paste of Precursors, even with their much higher budget :M

I don't think even mods can fix it to anything playable. This game is terrible. Honestly, I'd rather replay any TES or even *spits on the floor* Fallout 3, at least it was so bad it had good moments, but Starfield is just purely boring.

I think the main issue is that it is incredibly generic, every time someone opens up their mouth it doesn't feel like they actually live in that world and they are just there for player interaction. Even for Betsheda this is new low. Skyrim compared to it has much better writing and that was already meh.

edit: Another issue is gameplay itself. I've been fighting for few hours and never once i felt any kind of challenge. You can soak up ridiculous amount of damage and if something is not right you just pop up stimpack.

tritosine2k

Erudite

& this is why serverside remote compute is winning folks you just can't get 2023's NPC-s to follow anything resembling a path locally

ind33d

Learned
so did globohomo sabotage Starfield so we forget about the final frontier and stay down here on earth paying taxes to feed crippled black transgender muslim women?

El Presidente

Arcane
Not to brag but I was able to deduce these limitations from their presentation videos alone. You just have to rein in wishful thinking and listen carefully to what he says and doesn't say.
the problem is that Bethesda are intentionally vague and they go out of their way to prevent the user seeing whats behind the curtain. Todd said everything he needed to say in order to make people's imaginations run wild and then ultimately they get disapointed and the arguement comes in "What did you expect?" or "You misinterpreted it thus its your fault" I don't buy those arguments, Bethesda intentionally misleads and its not just BGS it extends to the entire Zenimax group as well. I'm tired of people giving them a free pass and apologists go out of their way to blame people who aren't the developers.

They are never transparent with their customers. They never show their product until the very last moment - everything else is bullshot and can be misinterpreted (again so many other developers get criticized for it, why not BGS then why the fuck do they get a double standard?).

The thing is if you're having to rein in expectations, not get excited for something or not let your imagination run wild then as a developer you've therefore incorrectly communicated to your audience. Release a demo, then you won't have that problem. From my experience with Oblivion you feel like absolute shit when the game you bought has the core feature you bought it for entirely missing, RadiantAI and the way they advertised it was grossly misleading and intentionally malicious. I don't get why people defend it, it was blatantly anti-consumer - even more so when Daggerfall had a demo so its not like they couldn't have done it. If Todd says stupid shit then prove it.

A customer should be able to buy with confidence.
Agreed, yeah the writing was on the wall for everyone to see, nobody should be trusting these fags, but ultimately Bethesda is the one to blame, the company is a scam, Zenimax is a scam, Todd Howard and Pete Hines are a scam. This should be the game that ends Todd just like Molyneux career at long last ended after so many lies and bullshit. Except Molyneux's curriculum and contribution to the industry is vastly superior to that of Todd. Also, I haven't played any of the Fable games but I truly doubt they're half as woke and AIDS ridden as Starfield is.

Lemming42

Arcane
I think the main issue is that it is incredibly generic, every time someone opens up their mouth it doesn't feel like they actually live in that world and they are just there for player interaction. Even for Betsheda this is new low. Skyrim compared to it has much better writing and that was already meh.
Yeah, no NPCs feel connected to the world. People are ripping the piss out of me for saying Skyrim had decent NPCs, but shit like the Sven/Faendal/Camilla situation in Riverwood is the absolute bread and butter of worldbuilding - unimportant people with minor problems who are firmly anchored in the settlement they're in, and offer the player a glimpse of what life is like there. My favourite NPCs in Fallout 1 are all the most minor ones - the flower girl in the CoC base in the Hub, the guy stood next to Cabot, the guy upstairs in the Cathedral who's gone completely insane, etc.

I dunno what life's like for the average person in Starfield because none of them will talk to me. I think the lowliest, most unremarkable people I've met so far have been farmers on a shitty desert world and this loser thief hiding out in a warehouse, and they're all dull as hell with minimal player interaction.

It looks like Emil hoped that the big draw would be the mutually-exclusive factions, but I don't care about any of them yet because I've never met a person who's given me a reason to care. In Skyrim you can at least get into the (disappointing) civil war stuff based on the fact that you'll have met several Stormcloak and Imperial NPCs (including Ralof and Hadvar right at the start), so you'll know what kind of people are on each side and find reasons to sympathise with and reasons to criticise both factions. Then you join one and start interacting with interesting people like Rikke. My experience with the major factions in Starfield has been that normal people don't seem to really care that they exist, and the only people who do care are the recruiters, who are all bland people sat in bland offices making bland proposals to me to join their bland factions.

tritosine2k

Erudite
& this is why serverside remote compute is winning folks you just can't get 2023's NPC-s to follow anything resembling a path locally

Navmeshes really need to be well tweaked and tuned to work in tight spaces, i remember npcs having same problems in some of the skyrim dungeons before all the patching.
That's just a rut with no solution in sight. I saw dishonored had like 1.5% perfomance going to pathfinding(?)... No wonder you have "waves" & shit as "peak adversity".

Seethe

Arbiter
Why cucksthesda didn't use something like chatgpt to make generic npcs? They could dump some lorde, complain about their life etc. Missed opportunity for introducing en masse a new tech.
It wasn't enough that their NPCs look like AI generated slop, they needed to sound like them too?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Damn, this game is extremely boring.
I don't know man, I did 2-3 sidequests in the city and then ran off exploring the planet. Not planning to do any main-line quests yet either because I need to find planets to mine for resources to upgrade my shit and level up and explore those high level solar systems!

Well, maybe I do a bit of the main quest to get those space-Dragonborn powers.

I already said this before but this is pretty much an improved version of Fallout 4. So if you liked that, you will probably like Starfield. If you though Fallout 4 was shit, well, this is going to be even more shit because they didn't include anything from the originals this time as it'a a completely new setting.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Usually for Bethesda games, I give it 5 years, then pick it up for a song and mod the shit out of it immediately.
Judging from the last 20 pages, I think I'll just keep modding Skyrim for the next 10 instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom