Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ind33d

Learned
does the launcher have a paid mods section? it's possible bethesda is banking on selling a modpack that fixes all the dumb shit for $9.99 like the Skyrim Anniversary Upgrade

there's no fucking way the modding community doesn't make Better Bodies, Better Heads, PC UI enhancements, script extenders, unique loot, etc. by like the end of the week

Lemming42

Arcane
It's amazing how much this game echoes The Outer Worlds. I still think CP2077 is a good point of comparison too.

The whole thing with Bethesda circa 2011 was that nobody else made games quite like theirs. You couldn't really say "Skyrim is just a shit version of ____, I'll go play that instead" (unless the blank in question was another Bethesda game). There weren't really any other games out there that had so many different systems working in a big freeform open world in quite the same way.

Starfield is so similar to big releases from the past few years though that it almost seems to have been made to deliberately invite comparisons to them. It's the equivalent of one of those crap post-Diablo ARPGs. Even if you're having fun with it on its own, you can't help but feel it's just an echo of a game you've already played. That is not a good position for a devleoper like Bethesda to be in, at all. Especially because, in this instance, I think Starfield loses out to Outer Worlds and CP2077 on quite a few areas.

It's hard to see the modding potential here, too. Skyrim offered enough of a sketch of an interesting world that there was a big market for "immersion" mods, town expansion mods, NPC behaviour mods, and graphical mods to make the world more beautiful to explore. Then of course there were combat mods, perk tree mods, rebalance mods, etc. Beyond performance mods, I can't immediately see what kind of mods Starfield would benefit from - the visuals are so drab there there's nothing to build on, the cities are so empty and needlessly vast that you're not getting a Better Cities/JK's Skyrim type mod out of it, the combat is what it is and I can't really see how it can be amended beyond fucking around with damage values to reduce spongeyness...

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Usually for Bethesda games, I give it 5 years, then pick it up for a song and mod the shit out of it immediately.
Judging from the last 20 pages, I think I'll just keep modding Skyrim for the next 10 instead.
Why not play a good game instead?
Life is too short to waste it on too much stupid shit. I am tempted to reinstall and mod Fallout3 for the few parts that I like or finally finished Fallout 4, but I just can't get myself to do as I know that a few hours in I feel like I just as well throw those hours in the garbage can.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
111.jpg

ind33d

Learned
I figured out why this game is garbage. According to American cultural hegemony, it's wrong to be a "colonizer." So why would anyone explore space at all? Landing on a distant sphere and sharing the wonders of written language and medicine with the indigenous peoples makes you a racist. Might as well just stay home and eat the bugs

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The shops in the city sell resources at an affordable price for outpost building/research by the way

Reinhardt

Arcane
I think Starfield loses out to Outer Worlds and CP2077 on quite a few areas.
nah. outer worlds was so shit no one even bothered to make nude mod for it. starfield already have one.
There are people who want to see these NPCs naked? Boy, standards for desire have really declined.
no one bothered to fix obsidian game characters either. in a few months max starfield will be inhabited exclusively by top models.

Lemming42

Arcane
Not 100% sure, but I think I've just met Debra Wilson, in a street gang in Neon. Adding it to my Debra Wilson Sighting scrapbook, along with every other videogame produced in the past decade.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
nah. outer worlds was so shit no one even bothered to make nude mod for it. starfield already have one.
There are people who want to see these NPCs naked? Boy, standards for desire have really declined.
no one bothered to fix obsidian game characters either. in a few months max starfield will be inhabited exclusively by top models.
Heh I feel online complaints coming in a couple of months from people with way too much time on their hands, being upset that people replace the NPCs with good looking white people (honestly throw in some good looking black people as well), crying that this is 'colonization'.

Fargus

Arcane

That shitty UE4 slop isnt really moddable as far as i remember.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Mining operation is taking shape, left is a chlorine extractor built on a chlorine patch, on the right a water vapor extractor. In the middle are two storage containers for the chlorine and water which get automatically transported there via link. There are builder modules that create components automatically if you have the raw materials. Reminds me a lot of factorio. Base building is well done in this game, and I can see mods taking this to another level in the future.

Starfield-9-2-2023-9-11-42-PM.png

Starfield-9-2-2023-9-24-48-PM.png

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Am I dumb or is stealth impossible with companions? Sarah just starts shooting the fucking shit out of people. She crouches when I do, but she just draws her gun and shoots the guards in the back that I'm trying to slip past. Come on man, even Skyrim companions knew to stay hidden.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
What is this game about?

I can't handle watching any gameplay, and reviews don't actually explain anything at this point. They're always defending framerates or the generated terrain, but never talking about what the game is.

Lemming42

Arcane
I can't handle watching any gameplay, and reviews don't actually explain anything at this point. They're always defending framerates or the generated terrain, but never talking about what the game is.
You are in space in the future (2300, I think?). Something bad has happened to Earth, and it's a tomb world. There's some factions with boring motivations hanging around.

You're a miner who touches the Geth Beacon from Mass Effect, and receives a Prothean vision. Because of this, a guy immediately gives you his state-of-the-art starship and tells you to go meet his friends, who love Geth Beacons. You go to meet them and they tell you you're special and important, and one of them asks to follow you around.

After that, you fly around empty space building outposts, scanning rocks, and getting shot at by unnamed NPCs. You can build your own settlements like Fo4.

Vyvian

Educated

That shitty UE4 slop isnt really moddable as far as i remember.
It is but just barely. That's why most mods are garbage or Reshades.
It's a reason Bethesda fans will defend the Creation Engine to the death, the fear of losing all the in-depth mods. Can't get Schlongs of Skyrim in Unreal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom