Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ADL

Prophet
Judging from the last 20 pages, I think I'll just keep modding Skyrim for the next 10 instead.
Good luck. Modding Skyrim fucking sucks right now. Everyone is hellbent on turning Skyrim into a worse version of a Souls game or a Ubisoft game.

ciox

Liturgist
YOU'RE LIKE A FREAKIN ASTRONAUT IN THIS GAME, DUDE!

*oxygen is basically a run meter*

Moink

Cipher

& this is why serverside remote compute is winning folks you just can't get 2023's NPC-s to follow anything resembling a path locally

Glad to see the Institute Laser Rifle has made a return.

Is that a new record for screen obstruction jesus CHRIST that's a fucking naval cannon.

5E0C763271911A81DEC2FFF39ADBA8B75DFF1925

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I'm curious now if you actually HAVE to do outpost building, or if it is possible to have different playstyles like Trader, Captain, Pirate, Bounty Hunter, etc. Because there are quite a few perks that offer a variety of playstyles. Being bethesda it's probably possible to master them all, but still...

ADL

Prophet
What is this game about?

I can't handle watching any gameplay, and reviews don't actually explain anything at this point. They're always defending framerates or the generated terrain, but never talking about what the game is.
It's a space exploration game which discourages actual space flight for some reason and like every Bethesda game made in the last twenty years, lays the foundation for modders to expand on all their surface-level implementations. That being said, I prefer it to everything Maryland has done since Morrowind and that isn't recency bias talking because I hated Oblivion, Fallout 3/4 and Skyrim at launch.

I'm enjoying this for what it is.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Do NPCs have any uniqueness or permanency? Like, are they traveling somewhere? Can you follow them home? How alive are they?

So there are settlements you can craft, yes? How do those settlers behave?
The "citizen" npc's just wander around like a roomba. The main npc's, like in constellation have a small life cycle (sleep, talk to each other, poke at things). The outpost npc's, as vic said, do things too. Nothing overly complex though. The only real offenders are those "citizen" npc's though. They are almost all negroes and fat. There is a setting to lower the density of them though. I wish they could be outright turned off.

Are people cherrypicking or is this game really SpaceKangs?

It is 100% spacekangs. This is easily the worst offending game I have played in that regard. Most NPC's are black, brown mutts, tanned mutts (not white), and brown asian (not indian). If a position of power is held, then it defaults to a woman almost everytime. If a main npc is white, they are the laughing stock, the incompetent one, or homosexual.

On a sidenote. People who bought the premium edition are reporting that Steam's system is refunding it even if you have a lot of hours played.

Aphex81

Scholar
Imagine using the same engine for decades and still not being able to put out a polished game.

Fargus

Arcane
I think Starfield loses out to Outer Worlds and CP2077 on quite a few areas.
nah. outer worlds was so shit no one even bothered to make nude mod for it. starfield already have one.
There are people who want to see these NPCs naked? Boy, standards for desire have really declined.
no one bothered to fix obsidian game characters either. in a few months max starfield will be inhabited exclusively by top models.

That shitty UE4 slop isnt really moddable as far as i remember.
It is but just barely. That's why most mods are garbage or Reshades.
It's a reason Bethesda fans will defend the Creation Engine to the death, the fear of losing all the in-depth mods. Can't get Schlongs of Skyrim in Unreal.

Yeah, it was never built with that in mind to be properly moddable. If all you can do is to tweak some text files or replace a texture, its shit not modding.

Funny how some say Bethesda should have ditched Creation Engine years ago.

Lemming42

Arcane
Anyone got any experience with companions? I hired a guy at a spaceport just because I liked his hat and, while he's a companion, he seems a bit under-written. I think Sarah is okay and her interjections into dialogue are usually pretty helpful but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anyone more interesting.

I've got Adoring Fan too who's genuinely pretty funny but I feel like bringing him along on missions would make me miss out on actual story stuff, what little there is of it.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm not even a TOW hater, but really? How is it worse?
The density of content is far less than in TOW, you're spending a lot more time moving through empty space (both in cities and on planets) before encountering something. Starfield's procgen planets mean that you're quite literally moving through nothingness, like walking aorund a map from Delta Force or the Daggerfall wilderness - no enemies, no nothing, except a smattering of resources for anyone interested in the settlement building minigame.

Most NPCs in Starfield are non-interactive, whereas in TOW you could engage a fair number of people in dialogue.

Quest quality (or lack thereof) feels about the same as in TOW, but you have far less dialogue checks for alternate solutions. Only [Persuade] really seems to come up in dialogue in Starfield, whereas TOW had like three speech skills plus checks for other non-combat skills. I'm also finding less quests in general - TOW could occasionally overwhelm you with quests if you walked into a new settlement, but in Starfield you've really got to go looking, and areas feel mostly very sparse.

Also, subjectively, the writing in TOW, though I personally found it pretty dull, at least had some character to it. There was an attempt to portray an interesting and unique world. Starfield meanwhile is a profoundly boring vision of the future, the setting doesn't really have any hook to it. I think even people enjoying the game overall are finding the setting and factions to be underwhelming. The visuals are also dull - TOW had the weird pulpy psychedelic stuff going on, while Starfield is just industrial, boringly "realistic", and samey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom