Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ADL

Prophet
Bethesda should have just said the game was super hardcore and casual players wouldn't get it.
Ironic considering the biggest thing missing from Starfield is a hardcore mode for ~~~muh immershun~~~.
It's ridiculous how many surface level game systems there are that would've been taken advantage of with a New Vegas/Skyrim Creation Club-like survival mode. There's next to no reason to eat, sleep or conserve energy. There's no permanent or semi-permanent injuries but you have doctors all over the place.

Moink

Cipher
Apparently you can refund the game no matter how many hours you have since it hasn't technically launched yet, no idea if true.
Why do all the groids have White people hair? Rockville is right next to DC and Baltimore; they 100% know what nog hair is supposed to look like.
All the NPC's are randomly generated using the same options the player has and there's only a few "black people hair" options for the generator to pick.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Starfield will be shit until Starfield 2 comes out then everybody will love this and shit on the new game, rinse repeat

You sure are typing a lot on a forum for someone who is enjoying the game so much and can't stop playing it.
that's because you can alt tab out of the game and it uses 0% CPU and 0% GPU

Not the point.. If the game is so amazing why shit post here? Why defend the game at all?
If you know it's amazing.. and so fun - you shouldn't care what we say and just play it. :smug:

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starfield will be shit until Starfield 2 comes out then everybody will love this and shit on the new game, rinse repeat

You sure are typing a lot on a forum for someone who is enjoying the game so much and can't stop playing it.
that's because you can alt tab out of the game and it uses 0% CPU and 0% GPU
buddy, you have to go back

b93.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so a tl;dr of the thread pls is the game utter overhyped shit or is it just overhyped shit
not overhyped at all, people not liking it go in either not knowing what they're in for or expecting the wrong thing. For those of us who enjoyed Fallout 4 or games like No Man's Sky this is a very fun game so far.
Are you telling me theres people who actually enjoyed Fallout 4
36u3zmaatqlb1.jpg

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
All the NPC's are randomly generated using the same options the player has and there's only a few "black people hair" options for the generator to pick.
Are they tho? Are they all niggers on other planets too? New Atlantis is in a savanna biome, maybe the proc gen algorithm generates NPCs based on the biome and Starfield is actually based as fuck. Because otherwise, it doesn't make sense that 90% of the population are niggers

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If you know it's amazing.. and so fun - you shouldn't care what we say and just play it. :smug:
No one's a stoic, everyone likes affirmation. Otherwise forums like this one wouldn't exist.

If a game comes out that I absolutely love and I can't rip my eyes away from it because I love it so much.. the codex could literally be melting down and I wouldn't care, I'd be too busy playing it.

Requiring validation from a forum that tells you "yes - it is fun, you are right" is a bad sign..

Robotigan

Learned
Are they tho? Are they all niggers on other planets too? New Atlantis is in a savanna biome, maybe the proc gen algorithm generates NPCs based on the biome and Starfield is actually based as fuck. Because otherwise, it doesn't make sense that 90% of the population are niggers
If it's truly random generation then of course there's going to be lots of black and mixed people because there are more non-white skin tones than white ones.

This game looks hillarious. It's like ME Andromeda but with half the budget and double the incompetence lol
And way better game mechanics just like very other Bethesda Bioware comparison.

Moink

Cipher
I'm fairly sure they mentioned it in one of the videos. If there's more brown skin options than white it's going to shit out these lovecraftian horrors more than regular people, funny enough it's likely an easy fix (and one that'll get you banned from the nexus).

Rhobar121

Scholar
This game looks hillarious. It's like ME Andromeda but with half the budget and double the incompetence lol
So the developers have already started insulting their customers on twitter? It was funny that even EA kicked some people out after that.

0wca

Learned
If it's truly random generation then of course there's going to be lots of black and mixed people because there are more non-white skin tones than white ones.

And way better game mechanics just like very other Bethesda Bioware comparison.
You mean like lockpicking minigames? :lol:

0wca

Learned
Pretty much all the sidequests in Fo3 revolve around some kind of memorable character (not always memorable for the right reasons, of course, thanks to Emil's dodgy writing).

Agatha (from "Agatha's song"), Tenpenny and Burke and Ghoul Leader Guy (from "Tenpenny Tower"), Harold (from "Oasis"), Moira (from "Wasteland Survival Guide"), Sidney and Abraham (from "Stealing Independence"), Three Dog the absolute CUNT ("Galaxy News Radio" or w/e the quest is called), etc.

I can already envision three hundred replies saying "YOU THINK ABRAHAM IS A GREAT CHARACTER?!!". No, but I remember these characters, they have clearly-written personalities and motiviations and reasons to exist in the game world, even if you think they're annoying or that the plot/world makes no sense or whatever. I can't even name anyone I find memorably annoying in Starfield, meanwhile.
The only one I remember from that list is Tenpenny who was some rich twat who wanted to blow shit up.

Everyone else was forgettable.

Vic

Savant
I'm fairly sure they mentioned it in one of the videos. If there's more brown skin options than white it's going to shit out these lovecraftian horrors more than regular people, funny enough it's likely an easy fix (and one that'll get you banned from the nexus).
Maybe I'm coping here but that seems like an amateurish oversight that I don't think would happen. To just roll a random number without any algorithm behind it? They are using an algorithm for the in-game resolution ffs. They have to be all black on purpose, question is, is it fucking pozzed or is their appearance generated based on biome.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
so a tl;dr of the thread pls is the game utter overhyped shit or is it just overhyped shit
not overhyped at all, people not liking it go in either not knowing what they're in for or expecting the wrong thing. For those of us who enjoyed Fallout 4 or games like No Man's Sky this is a very fun game so far.
Are you telling me theres people who actually enjoyed Fallout 4
36u3zmaatqlb1.jpg
Jesus fucking christ this is nightmare shit hahahahaha this looks like it was made by some indie company and released 10 years ago like literally this looks like 5 nights at freddy's or something

Moink

Cipher
Maybe I'm coping here but that seems like an amateurish oversight that I don't think would happen. To just roll a random number without any algorithm behind it? They are using an algorithm for the in-game resolution ffs. They have to be all black on purpose, question is, is it fucking pozzed or is their appearance generated based on biome.
I can't imagine it's based on biome because that would be too funny.
"Sir where do we put all the blacks???"
"Uh, just drop them all on the Africa planet"

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish Toddster all the best but this doesn't really look like my cup of tea.

When I have some gaming time again I will play more Solasta instead. Or maybe it's time for BG1 replay.

Vic

Savant
I can't imagine it's based on biome because that would be too funny.
"Sir where do we put all the blacks???"
"Uh, just drop them all on the Africa planet"
It's not an Africa Planet, there are 2 biomes on it. If you travel to the research station you actually see nice woodland:

Starfield-9-2-2023-10-09-23-PM.png

there is a small research station with a quest, and I don't remember seeing any niggers there

Edit: I was wrong, there are actually 3 biomes, the third is a desert one. At least on my planet, still not sure if this planet isn't procedurally generated too.

Last edited:

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'm not even a TOW hater, but really? How is it worse?
The density of content is far less than in TOW, you're spending a lot more time moving through empty space (both in cities and on planets) before encountering something. Starfield's procgen planets mean that you're quite literally moving through nothingness, like walking aorund a map from Delta Force or the Daggerfall wilderness - no enemies, no nothing, except a smattering of resources for anyone interested in the settlement building minigame.

Most NPCs in Starfield are non-interactive, whereas in TOW you could engage a fair number of people in dialogue.

Quest quality (or lack thereof) feels about the same as in TOW, but you have far less dialogue checks for alternate solutions. Only [Persuade] really seems to come up in dialogue in Starfield, whereas TOW had like three speech skills plus checks for other non-combat skills. I'm also finding less quests in general - TOW could occasionally overwhelm you with quests if you walked into a new settlement, but in Starfield you've really got to go looking, and areas feel mostly very sparse.

Also, subjectively, the writing in TOW, though I personally found it pretty dull, at least had some character to it. There was an attempt to portray an interesting and unique world. Starfield meanwhile is a profoundly boring vision of the future, the setting doesn't really have any hook to it. I think even people enjoying the game overall are finding the setting and factions to be underwhelming. The visuals are also dull - TOW had the weird pulpy psychedelic stuff going on, while Starfield is just industrial, boringly "realistic", and samey.
So it makes TOW look good (by comparison). Achievement unlocked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom