Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Arcane
Now we are defending FO3 over SF, the cycle repeats itself...
I was always saying that FO3 can be good if you ignore the story/some characters, don't level up too much and sniff glue while playing it.
It gets even better if you play New Vegas in another window.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Perkel

Arcane
Starfield UI probably will win the award for the worst UI ever.

sorting only by name, no category classes so you get bunch of random names that say you nothing, good look finding that medpack in score of food shit and other "aid". Want to move items ? literally you can't see both your inventory and cargo at the same time, space map is horrendous shit, every time you are close to someone you get ugly "talk" for half of screen same with every item. Even basics like health is white which usually mashes with background light etc.

So what about the lore and stories, are they decent?

If opening and few sidequest i played are any indication this might be the new low for betsheda.

Robotigan

Learned
You mean like lockpicking minigames? :lol:
I mean what I said before, economy and progression. Every Bioware title and many other RPGs I've played is remarkably thin in these departments. There's little incentive to grind for equipment so much as waiting to fall into good items as you make your way through the campaign and side quests. As far as I can tell, probably less so on the Codex to be fair, the majority of RPG players are kind of bullshitting when they say they want mechanically deep games. What they really want are lots of numbers to make them feel like they're playing a game with a lot of complexity. This is why TW3 was hailed as a "deeper RPG" than FO4 back in 2015 (it happened, don't deny it) even though it's not even close to true. TW3 had more numbers but it was mostly a stat treadmill with some type checks to apply more numbers via oils. It didn't have near the system breadth and build variability as FO4. All this being said, you shouldn't be able to talk about RPG systems unless you've taken a class on topology.

Turn_BASED

Educated
*SIIIIP*
C6-F2763-E-ED3-B-4762-B873-5-FE73-E0-EF67-A.jpg

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I can't believe this is a) still on fucking Gamebryo and b) they managed to devolve back to Oblivion-tier potato faces somehow.

Gargaune

Arcane
Man, is this shit like real performance or some sort of abstract test? I'm running an i7 9700K, is this what 5 years of CPU development does? I've been running games like CBP and BG3 just fine, graphs like this are surprising.

Vic

Savant
sorting only by name, no category classes so you get bunch of random names that say you nothing,
you can sort by name, weight, value, and it has categories for aid, misc, weapons, etc. You even have a category for new items. Did you even play the game

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Legit the best thing I can say about this game is the persuasion minigame. I'm in love with it. It's so simple and yet it's so, so much better than the crap speech system used in Fo3 and FNV.

A lot of people will hate it for introducing a random chance element to speech checks, but I think that's great. Used in a better game with interesting fail states for speech checks, it could be really good.
Yeah, unironically it looks like a pretty good system.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'm fairly sure they mentioned it in one of the videos. If there's more brown skin options than white it's going to shit out these lovecraftian horrors more than regular people, funny enough it's likely an easy fix (and one that'll get you banned from the nexus).
Maybe I'm coping here but that seems like an amateurish oversight that I don't think would happen. To just roll a random number without any algorithm behind it? They are using an algorithm for the in-game resolution ffs. They have to be all black on purpose, question is, is it fucking pozzed or is their appearance generated based on biome.
You seem to think too highly of developers working on AAA.
I thought the Diablo $ scandal had dispelled the rest of the illusions.
I am 100% able to believe that all the algorithm does is select resources from the appropriate category at random.

Robber Baron

Savant

Rhobar121

Scholar
I think the biggest mistake was creating a universe filled with "humans".
If they can't even fucking do that, they could replace everyone with robots and the game would look better. Even less humanoid aliens would look better than what they did.

Orion

Cipher

I am 100% able to believe that all the algorithm does is select resources from the appropriate category at random.
The algorithm would be easy to implement, but you'd get fired for being racist if you did

sorting only by name, no category classes so you get bunch of random names that say you nothing,
you can sort by name, weight, value, and it has categories for aid, misc, weapons, etc. You even have a category for new items. Did you even play the game
Clearly he hasn’t and it’s just general bitching. There’s plenty to criticize here, no need to make shit up.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, I don't get.
Are these LA CREATURA faces just unfortunate screencaps, or you really do see it often? With weird eyes and all.

I can't really watch edgy videos about non-whites in Starfield, because I'm in a public space in Italy.

Rhobar121

Scholar

The algorithm would be easy to implement, but you'd get fired for being racist if you did
It's more likely that those with a little skill did the more critical stuff and the rest was done by a bunch of interns.

Vic

Savant
Are these LA CREATURA faces just unfortunate screencaps, or you really do see it often? With weird eyes and all.
you really do see them often in new atlantis. I would say 80%+ are blacks and their models have these big eyes that they move around weirdly. But these are proc genned. The named NPCs that have voiced lines and give you quests look decent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom