Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Unoptimized trash. My PC can run Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, Far Cry 6, Doom Eternal, BG 3, Dying Light 2, RE 8, RE 4 remake without issues, but this game constantly hangs and crashes.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
>Codexers favorably comparing TOW to Starfield
>Codexers favorably comparing anime gacha games to Starfield
>Main subreddit in full damage control mode
>Steam forums on fire
>Starfield is the new pinata for Youtubers to bash
>Even streamers seem bored with the game
>7/10 IGN dude laughing his ass off probably

Jesus Christ.

:shredder:

Fallout 76 wiped the shine off Bethesda.. watching these large companies (Blizzard, Ubishit, Bethesda) get torn apart by normies is the only way we'll ever get better games again.

It took the retarded cons00mer masses a few extra years (decades) but even the plebs are getting tired of the slop shit that is being served.

Loadenfield NPC AI showcase:

You know, lots of people groaned when I was saying that games like Witcher 3 and RDR2 will raise the mainstream standards for an open world game so much, that things which were forgiven in the age of Skyrim's rendition of "open world gameplay" will not be forgiven any more. But when Fallout 4 came out some months after Witcher 3, it suddenly felt outdated to the same normies who used to be ok with "Bethesda games' peculiarities". And when Cyberpunk came out in Dec 2020, along with the performance issues, people were laughing at its open world and comparing it to GTA V, mainly because it was easier to compare to that than to RDR2 and it was too far from RDR2's level anyway.

So, yeah, hello Todd, hi Starfield... :) The world has moved on.

Something that hit Obsidian when it comes to RPG design may be hitting Bethesda now.

Robotigan

Learned
>Steam forums on fire

Jesus Christ.

Given all of these, the fact the codex doesn't like it feels strange. Has this forum really aligned with mainstream tastes?
Mainstream tastes almost always follow internet forum tastes because mainstream tastes are essentially whatever has traction with influencers and influencers get their opinions from the online consensus. Everyone wants to have niche underground preferences but simultaneously wants everyone else to respect them for their superior tastes.

Self-Ejected
>Steam forums on fire

Jesus Christ.

Fallout 76 wiped the shine off Bethesda.. watching these large companies (Blizzard, Ubishit, Bethesda) get torn apart by normies is the only way we'll ever get better games again.

It took the retarded cons00mer masses a few extra years (decades) but even the plebs are getting tired of the slop shit that is being served.

You know, lots of people groaned when I was saying that games like Witcher 3 and RDR2 will raise the mainstream standards for an open world game so much, that things which were forgiven in the age of Skyrim's rendition of "open world gameplay" will not be forgiven any more. But when Fallout 4 came out some months after Witcher 3, it suddenly felt outdated to the same normies who used to be ok with "Bethesda games' peculiarities". And when Cyberpunk came out in Dec 2020, along with the performance issues, people were laughing at its open world and comparing it to GTA V, mainly because it was easier to compare to that than to RDR2 and it was too far from RDR2's level anyway.

Something that hit Obsidian when it comes to RPG design may be hitting Bethesda now.

Witcher 3 has the same exact A.I of cyberpunk tho is also one of the reasons why Cyberpunk suffered more.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
On the other hand, mods might fix it.
And nothing will fix Larian writing.
Starfield's writing's not any better. It's less frequently cringeworthy than BG3 but it's also really dull, so it evens out. I think BG3 has a pretty clear shot at RPG of the year, it's basically a guarantee.
Probably yes.
It's not like it has any mainstream competition now. It seems Toddfield will get memed into a joke, like Andromeda.

Self-Ejected
I dont think who ceiticize Bg3 has any idea... I mean they same people would praise game lik Elex, Elden ring or Mass effect lol and other game the writing is indeed laughtable.

As for Starfield the problem it suffers is the lack of high stakes universe threatening plit is more like "Find out sign of intelligent life".

Not everything has to be capeshit as mass effect.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know I'm bit of a broken record at this point but get real - the only thing that is hitting Bethesda are fat stacks of money thrown by their fans buying this crap.
Meh, it doesn't take much to observe this. They won't go hungry and broke, obviously. But is it matching their expectations. We'll have to wait at least a month for things to settle down before we can say. End of year for more certainty.

Seethe

Arbiter

Robotigan

Learned
>Steam forums on fire

Jesus Christ.

Witcher 3 has the same exact A.I of cyberpunk tho is also one of the reasons why Cyberpunk suffered more.

Witcher 3's popularity on this forum is proof positive that Codexers are full on Dunning-Kruger morons who got fooled by the fidelity of the animated cutscenes just like all the normies. That game's dynamic systems were well behind their AAA peers, yes including Fallout 4. I maintain that a major reason for the Cyberpunk disappointment is no one actually realized how simple TW3 was because medieval RPGs tend not to be very systemic. But contemporary open world games like GTA and Watchdogs are, so CDPR unwittingly invited comparisons that their butt couldn't cash.

Holy shit, the combat in this game is truly terrible. At least on very hard, every enemy is a massive bullet sponge. I always end up dumping TWO 40 bullet magazines from an assault rifle just to kill one guy. Also, it's way too easy. Usually I only die because I forgot to use a healing item (there's no low health indicator, so you kind of drop dead suddenly if you don't pay attention to your health bar).

AwesomeButton

Patron
Witcher 3's popularity on this forum is proof positive that Codexers are full on Dunning-Kruger morons who got fooled by the fidelity of the animated cutscenes just like all the normies. That game's dynamic systems were well behind their AAA peers, yes including Fallout 4. I maintain that a major reason for the Cyberpunk disappointment is no one actually realized how simple TW3 was because medieval RPGs tend not to be very systemic. But contemporary open world games like GTA and Watchdogs are, so CDPR unwittingly invited comparisons that their butt couldn't cash.
Vanilla Witcher 3 is an interactive movie with light action RPG elements tacked on. I don't know anyone seriously disputing that.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Now I have downloaded over 100GB and absolutely don't feel like playing the game after reading all the comments and watching the videos. :negative:
Dont trust codex. Play the game for yourself then you will figure out if you like it or not. A friendly advise.

That includes you retard. He shouldn't listen to you and neither should anyone else. You didn't think this through did you? Of course not, because you're a retarded over the hill grandma.

Lemming42

Arcane
Holy shit, the combat in this game is truly terrible. At least on very hard, every enemy is a massive bullet sponge. I always end up dumping TWO 40 bullet magazines from an assault rifle just to kill one guy. Also, it's way too easy. Usually I only die because I forgot to use a healing item (there's no low health indicator, so you kind of drop dead suddenly if you don't pay attention to your health bar).
It picks up a little bit when you get better guns and can start blasting the sponges down in one or two hits.

If you do the Red Mile, you get a really good shotgun as a reward which I'm using to one-hit-kill enemies about four or five levels higher than me.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Now I have downloaded over 100GB and absolutely don't feel like playing the game after reading all the comments and watching the videos.

Don't let that happen man. Load it up and play for yourself. If you can, give it between 15-20 hours at a minimum. This one is a slow burner. It's still shit, but there is a glimmer of hope that some fun will be had. If you are strapped for time then I would say get away from this game though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
E2-CF1-BC6-469-F-4822-A723-D1-F210-F80-D84.jpg

Well, aren't they all black?

BTW, i totally fucking called it the game was going to be super woke but in that typical incredibly inept Bethesda way.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
>Steam forums on fire

Jesus Christ.

I am actually rather glad that this is happening.

For a long time I have been pissed at Bethesda, for what it did to one of my favorite video game IPs (Fallout was better of dead than becoming this 'thing' it has become now), turning it into a joke, a cliche, and streamlined normie shit. And the audience for whom I wish I could come up with an accurate description to describe my revulsion for them who embraced this crap, telling people who did not like what Bethesda had done to the IP that Fallout had to be changed in order to be finally 'be good'. "Bethesda understood RPGs and Fallout was in their DNA and Todd Howard was their 'golden boy', a 'genius' (well I admit that he is smart at ways of making money and selling their products)."

This was Toddy's personal project, I am not sure his opus but he sure made it sound that way. And all his little sycophants were drooling for the opportunity to spend their money on what is to be the next standard in gaming.
To see it unravel, that even Bethesda die hard fans have to come up with ways to defend how half assed and broken this crap is. What Starfield and before that Fallout 76 is doing is exposing Bethesda for what it really is. They are not geniuses and passionate game designers who only want to entertain people. They want to sell half baked, copy and paste ideas from people much smarter and more imagination than they have themselves, and they expect people to pay the full price for it.
Well the audience is now getting what it really deserves and they try to pretend that the turd they have been waiting for is shinier than it really is.

As for the Youtubers, screw them, they turn into whatever direction the wind blows.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Enjoying the game but my biggest issue is by far the lack of a proper map. It's confusing to navigate the big city at the start of the game, as well as the multi level "dungeons" on planets.

Also there is absolutely no way to tell if a random npc has a quest or not, the cities are full of random npcs going around and in the middle of them, there might be a quest giver but you won't know unless you click everything and everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom