Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Anyone else here visited that settlement on Titan? I am impressed with Bethesda's world building in this game. You can get like a 30-minute tour from an NPC, and he describes how every aspect of the settlement operates, like where they get food and water from, how they obtain their energy etc. They must have heard all of those "what do they eat" complaints about Fallout 4.

//edit little pic I snapped near that settlement https://i.imgur.com/1OZd2rC.png Titan looks really cool, but I was disappointed with Jupiter's moon Europa. Its a shame that you don't have vehicles in this game. I would love to roam around in a boat.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Ok so finally 100% completed Jemison

Starfield-9-3-2023-1-17-56-AM.png

Got 300xp as a reward, which brought me up to level 9. Now Alpha Centauri is a level 1 solar system, so I hope exploring the higher level ones will give more xp. The highest level solar system that I can see right now is level 70.

Was it worth it? I guess it was fun hunting it down, but the next planet (level 10 or 15) be better very different and have some rare materials and big ass monsters or I'm not doing that again.

I have zero interest in doing the main quest, haven't done anything in that department. Knowing Bethesda it will probably be a let down anyway, and the meat of the game is in the exploration.

So with that, I can finally go to bed after playing this and writing here for almost 24 hours :lol:

Rhobar121

Scholar
The custom characters (like the Constellation crew or the Todd-lookalike) look decent enough. It's just whatever tech they used to generate the random people that makes them look so incredibly ugly that it looks glitched. Oblivion used FaceGen for everyone so even the main characters are potato-faced, so there wasn't such a disconnect.
You'd expect that if you see that the technology you're using isn't working well, you don't use it

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
>Codexers favorably comparing TOW to Starfield
>Codexers favorably comparing anime gacha games to Starfield
>Main subreddit in full damage control mode
>Steam forums on fire
>Starfield is the new pinata for Youtubers to bash
>Even streamers seem bored with the game
>7/10 IGN dude laughing his ass off probably

Jesus Christ.

:shredder:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
>Codexers favorably comparing TOW to Starfield
>Codexers favorably comparing anime gacha games to Starfield
>Main subreddit in full damage control mode
>Steam forums on fire
>Starfield is the new pinata for Youtubers to bash
>Even streamers seem bored with the game
>7/10 IGN dude laughing his ass off probably

Jesus Christ.

:shredder:

Fallout 76 wiped the shine off Bethesda.. watching these large companies (Blizzard, Ubishit, Bethesda) get torn apart by normies is the only way we'll ever get better games again.

It took the retarded cons00mer masses a few extra years (decades) but even the plebs are getting tired of the slop shit that is being served.

Gargaune

Arcane
The custom characters (like the Constellation crew or the Todd-lookalike) look decent enough. It's just whatever tech they used to generate the random people that makes them look so incredibly ugly that it looks glitched. Oblivion used FaceGen for everyone so even the main characters are potato-faced, so there wasn't such a disconnect.
It's not uncommon for modern games with large numbers of ambient NPCs to optimise with significantly lower fidelity on them than for the main cast. Cyberpunk does it, The Witcher 3 did too, hell, even Deus Ex 4 with all its gorgeous visuals still pulled the same thing. This wasn't a thing in Bethesda games because, even though they started using some generic NPCs in Fallout 4, they've still never really done ambient crowds before, the whole of Diamond City was like twenty people.

Now I can't say for sure, but looking at these screencaps, I don't think the tech for generating the NPC faces is any different from the player's chargen, but rather that they're set to use lower LOD and lighting settings when rendered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom