Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Moooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo Moooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo moooooMoooo moooo moooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo moooo mooooo mooooo

Ravielsk

Magister
Something that hit Obsidian when it comes to RPG design may be hitting Bethesda now.
That is somewhat unfair to Obsidian. They were making good but buggy games, mostly because their ambition outstripped their budgets but still the core of their games was always solid. Bethesda on the other hand has not made a genuinely good game since Oblivion and the quality of their output has been on a steady decline since.

Unfortunately when every game you make is a watered down version of the previous one eventually you reach a point where there is nothing left to water down. Bethesda simply reached that point and people just had enough of their bullshit.

How is the trait system? Did they made it all boring and irrelevant or are there at least few interesting choices?
The one that makes it so that you have parents has quite a lot of additional dialogue and even a unique weapon. Introvert trait seems pretty boring, haven't seen any checks for that so far. For the religious one I had found one dialogue option, but in some other instance there was a glaring lack of a dialogue check for this trait (the character acted like they didn't know their own religion).

Rainer

Novice
I've been reading the BG3 thread on the shitter since release. Because I don't take as many giant dumps as Larian writers do, it's taken me a while to catch up. I was quite critical of the game and today I happened to download the special RUNE edition of Starfield.

Holy shit, every game I marked as mediocre in the past decade is leaps and bounds above Starfield. Oblivion was a masterpiece in comparison to this, especially considering 2006 tech. The Outer Worlds is a million times more polished game, and the funny thing is that the "space exploration" works exactly the same between both games barring a small "space combat" instance on some occasions, because you have to fast travel even between a planet and a station in its orbit. The characters and the visuals are straight out of Fallout 4, there is fuck all exploration to do either. It's a No Man's Sky demo on Gamebryo.

For the record, Cyberpunk which everyone has considered to be a disappointment will absolutely murder this game in the crib when Phantom Liberty drops.

I can't stand Swen's stupid posts and I was having a laugh at how the entire world lost their minds at BG3 (what I consider to be a decent game, but not that special) but if Starfield is what passes for a system selling, blockbuster, generation defining game, then Swen can laugh all the way to the bank.

God save us all, gaming is well and truly fucked. This game is a dumpster fire.

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh, now I've landed at the Western Town. Knew this was fucking coming.

I'm warming up to the game a bit, but fucking hell the setting isn't half generic. Just shit you've already seen before 100 times. Neon Cyberpunk city (complete with street gangs with dumbass names like The Strikers), Dusty Western city (complete with a Marshall), solarpunk corporate utopia city (complete with smooth, rounded white skyscrapers and a snooty office worker representing the corpos).

The thing is, this sounds fun, but all the cities are kinda boring. You could have a lot of fun with a setting made out of various over-the-top themed worlds, but the tone of this game is so drab no matter which genre pastiche you're in.

MorsInvicta

Literate
Starfield is the Beshitsda game ever! Seriously, the retards continuing to support Bethesda's modern diarrhea games (that they proudly call "RPGs") not only contributes to the decreasing global IQ scores over the past decade, but also reinforces the notion of the state of modern triple A gaming.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It's begun. Imagine after September's 5th;

image.png

Last edited:

Cliffworms

Novice
Wow, Starfield's mix and matching of hair styles and colors, clothing, body types and facial expressions remind me a lot of Sims 3's random folks you see on the street.

Except for The Sims, it's intentional.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
>Codexers favorably comparing TOW to Starfield
>Codexers favorably comparing anime gacha games to Starfield
>Main subreddit in full damage control mode
>Steam forums on fire
>Starfield is the new pinata for Youtubers to bash
>Even streamers seem bored with the game
>7/10 IGN dude laughing his ass off probably

Jesus Christ.

:shredder:

Fallout 76 wiped the shine off Bethesda.. watching these large companies (Blizzard, Ubishit, Bethesda) get torn apart by normies is the only way we'll ever get better games again.

It took the retarded cons00mer masses a few extra years (decades) but even the plebs are getting tired of the slop shit that is being served.

Loadenfield NPC AI showcase:

You know, lots of people groaned when I was saying that games like Witcher 3 and RDR2 will raise the mainstream standards for an open world game so much, that things which were forgiven in the age of Skyrim's rendition of "open world gameplay" will not be forgiven any more. But when Fallout 4 came out some months after Witcher 3, it suddenly felt outdated to the same normies who used to be ok with "Bethesda games' peculiarities". And when Cyberpunk came out in Dec 2020, along with the performance issues, people were laughing at its open world and comparing it to GTA V, mainly because it was easier to compare to that than to RDR2 and it was too far from RDR2's level anyway.

So, yeah, hello Todd, hi Starfield... :) The world has moved on.

Something that hit Obsidian when it comes to RPG design may be hitting Bethesda now.

Witcher 3 has the same exact A.I of cyberpunk tho is also one of the reasons why Cyberpunk suffered more.

I distinctly remember in Cyberpunk 2077 that if you started shooting, the entire street would cower, perhaps a bit too excessively. Here in this game, the NPCs don't seem to care at all, and that should be considered a minimum level of immersion. I'm pretty sure it's even scripted in RPGs from the 90s. Additionally, I have yet to see anything in these streets that justifies the computer specs they demand for this game.

They even fixed that in CP2077, the reactions of the NPCs are more varied - some run, some cower in fear as before, some look for cover, some may even occasionally join in the combat, on either side :) But you do at least get some reaction from everyone in the area.

After my initial disappointment at CP2077 not being an amazing RPG, I grew quite fond of the game as it is (especially with the gradual improvements it's received, which smoothed out a lot of the rough edges) and I'll certainly be trying out the expansion.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First everyone complains Bethesda cities are too small and there aren't enough NPC's, now everyone complains they are too big and have too many NPC's, poor Todd can't win!

If only we could unravel the arcane secrets of the Ancients, forever lost in time...

MV5BZTJmOWYxNTQtZWFiZS00ZjgzLTljYzgtYTNlZDJmMjI3ZGRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTY0MDIzNzM@._V1_.jpg
it was kept in the same data center as nasa's moon landing technology

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First everyone complains Bethesda cities are too small and there aren't enough NPC's,
Those complaints were always dumb. It should be obvious to anyone that the only alternative that doesn't add years of development would be generic pointless filler buildings and NPCs that add nothing and just make walking to the actual areas of interest more annoying.

now everyone complains they are too big and have too many NPC's, poor Todd can't win!
I have no idea why Bethesda thought they needed to have so many NPCs in the city. It's a game about space colonies, they have all the excuses in the world for keeping settlements small and limited in population.

El Presidente

Arcane
One thing I didn't see many people pointing out: what's up with this game's music? For starters, there's NO music whatsoever during character creation, which alongside the bizarre oh so diverse presets makes for an absolutely awkward silent experience. Shouldn't Bethesda know that lots of people like to spend up to an hour, sometimes even more than that, on these character customization tools? Shouldn't they at least try to immerse the players in the game's atmosphere through music during this instead of leaving them in total silence?

But besides that, the game's music seem to consist mostly of a thousand variations on the game's 5 notes jingle. Every footage I watch it's the same da daaa da daa daaaa generic super-hero sounding motif but slightly different. As astounding as this sounds, the music department might be even lower effort than the characters appearance one.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
One thing I didn't see many people pointing out: what's up with this game's music? For starters, there's NO music whatsoever during character creation, which alongside the bizarre oh so diverse presets makes for an absolutely awkward silent experience. Shouldn't Bethesda know that lots of people like to spend up to an hour, sometimes even more than that, on these character customization tools? Shouldn't they at least try to immerse the players in the game's atmosphere through music during this instead of leaving them in total silence?

But besides that, the game's music seem to consist mostly of a thousand variations on the game's 5 notes jingle. Every footage I watch it's the same da daaa da daa daaaa generic super-hero sounding motif but slightly different. As astounding as this sounds, the music department might be even lower effort than the characters appearance one.

Music is racist....

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
First everyone complains Bethesda cities are too small and there aren't enough NPC's, now everyone complains they are too big and have too many NPC's, poor Todd can't win!
Codex NPCs used to complain: "needless open world, empty, nothing to do".
Now, it's "what do you mean I can't fly anywhere I want in the galaxy on manual gear? What do you mean I can't play hiking simulator over every square meter of every planet? I can only visit pre-determined points of interest? This game is shit!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom