Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How is the thievery gameplay?

Bog Standard Beth Game.. the only unique thing here is that you actually need the skills to use them.. So at level 1 you can't sneak / pickpocket or pick locks.. you need to drop at least 3 skills, one in each - to do them. (Some starting backgrounds grant a skill in one or many of them for free though)

The lock picking game is fucking aids though. Like.. worst one they've ever done bad.
What about targets? Is robbing stores viable? Do they shut down for the night? Are people's home accessible? Are there some homes wealthier than others? Can I skulk around on roofttops? I always felt that Bethesda had highly underrated thief gameplay.

I just watched some youtuber try to pickpocket a dude to do the whole grenade in your pocket thing. Doesn't seem like it's possible. Looks like they rolled a lot of immersive sim elements (or whatever they're called) back.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
People always complained how unrealistic Bethesda games are.. this feels pretty immersive.
Well, yeah. But most of the reason people play a game set in the future, or any game really, is to escape the present.

Meeting a black guy with a thick Russian accent named "Vladimir" may a be realistic depiction of the future, or even the present to a degree, but it's not a world I look forward to living in enough to pay $70 to experience it.

There are exceptions, futures that are dystopian, but there's usually something cool there to make you want to play beyond pure escapism. Cyberpunk gives you superpowers, fast-paced action and sex, for example.

All Bethesda gives you is hacky space combat and "exploration" on a bunch of randomly generated planets with plastic-looking rocks.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
How is the thievery gameplay?

Bog Standard Beth Game.. the only unique thing here is that you actually need the skills to use them.. So at level 1 you can't sneak / pickpocket or pick locks.. you need to drop at least 3 skills, one in each - to do them. (Some starting backgrounds grant a skill in one or many of them for free though)

The lock picking game is fucking aids though. Like.. worst one they've ever done bad.
What about targets? Is robbing stores viable? Do they shut down for the night? Are people's home accessible? Are there some homes wealthier than others? Can I skulk around on roofttops? I always felt that Bethesda had highly underrated thief gameplay.

All these things are worse than Skyrim / Oblivion / Morrowind.

First off, stores are completely empty, maybe some food on a desk but their wares are all in magic pocket plane dimensions..
The shop keepers stand at the counter 24/7, they never go to sleep, there are no beds or day schedules,
If you try to sneak upstairs (assuming there is an 'upstairs' there usually isn't) or kick something off a shelf with your body they don't follow you or watch you or give a shit at all.

Yes, it's actually that bad.

Lemming42

Arcane

First off, stores are completely empty, maybe some food on a desk but their wares are all in magic pocket plane dimensions..
The shop keepers stand at the counter 24/7, they never go to sleep, there are no beds or day schedules,
If you try to sneak upstairs or kick something off a shelf with your body they don't follow you or watch you or give a shit at all.

That's all true of Morrowind, to be fair (except the point about inventories). It's even worse in Morrowind because people can't follow you through doors and guards never pursue you, at least in Starfield I've been chased around through loading screens by angry guards.

Though it's baffling that Starfield's NPC routines/crime system is as basic as it is, given that Bethesda have been able to do a better crime system than this since 2006. Twenty years later and we're back to near-Morrowind levels of unreactivity.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

If you try to sneak upstairs or kick something off a shelf with your body they don't follow you or watch you or give a shit at all.

That's all true of Morrowind, to be fair (except the point about inventories). It's even worse in Morrowind because people can't follow you through doors and guards never pursue you.

Though it's baffling that Starfield is the same way, given that Bethesda have been able to do a better crime system than this since 2006.

Morrowind had wares and display stands and shit.

I walk into one of the "biggest mercantile stores" in the galaxy and it's basically an Apple store with one fucko standing behind a counter eating a cheese cube and a coat rack by the door. This city is barren.

It's basically Mass Effect 1 stores. Enjoy.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
instead of stealing sweet rolls from shops how about stealing spaceships for loot/parts or to resell.

Vic

Savant
how has this loser already played for 100 hours, recorded, edited and uploaded a video?

All this youtube bullshit is fake as fuck. just play the game for yourself instead of listening to attention obsessed zoomer retards that jump from a balcony or overdose on heroin in their 30s because they’re not getting enough attention anymore

Self-Ejected
how has this loser already played for 100 hours, recorded, edited and uploaded a video?

All this youtube bullshit is fake as fuck. just play the game for yourself instead of listening to attention obsessed zoomer retards that jump from a balcony or overdose on heroin in their 30s because they’re not getting enough attention anymore
Probably had an early copy the dude was one of the big youtubers shilling for cyberpunk at release even too much as a point people started to wonder if he were sponsored to do that.
But what he said in this review is pretty much accurate.

Vic

Savant

Probably had an early copy the dude was one of the big youtubers shilling for cyberpunk at release even too much as a point people started to wonder if he were sponsored to do that.
But what he said in this review is pretty much accurate.
I haven’t watched any video or read any review of Starfield, might do so after I’ve put at least 100 hours in mysef :lol:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Just buy the game goys.. don't worry if it's good or not. You can figure out if it's worth your money after 2 hours of played time. Trust me.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
All these dudes that have a lot subscribers are aproached by big studios and get money to shill. The smaller ones don't get money but early access to games and other perks. Shilling is an art and shilling while sounding objective takes skill. Cohh is a skilled shill just like this legacy dude.

Angry Joe is one of the few who is not shilling and eviscerates garbage games no matter who makes them. He can afford it because he has 3m subscribers and makes serious money. If he gives Starfield more than 7-7,5/10 than he has been bought also.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Just found this guy randomly walking in New Atlantis infront of the shop
Starfield-9-3-2023-9-18-29-AM.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/166wl2j/you_can_travel_between_planets_and_also_land/

You Can Travel Between Planets, and Also Land, Without Opening the Map.​

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/search?q=flair_name:"Discussion"&restrict_sr=1
The games UI/Tutorial doesn't explain this as far as I could tell, but if you're in your ship and you open the scanner, you can look at whatever planet you want to go to, then press E.
After that it will give you a prompt to travel by holding R, at which point you will start to fly towards that planet, the same thing goes for landing on a planet too.
Its not seamless but I've seen a lot of complaints about looking at the map all the time, this effectively makes it so you only need to open the map if you need to land somewhere precise, or to grav jump to another system.
UPDATE: Ok turns out if you have a mission selected you can actually jump to a different system using the exact same method, meaning its entirely possible to travel through space without having to open the menu every time. You'd only have to do it when you want to change missions to swap systems for example, honestly its quite immersive overall.
EDIT: Adding a link showcasing how it works cause theres still a lot of questions

It's F first to bring up the scanner, that's what makes the planets appear. Then E to target, then R to travel.

This is explained in the game but it makes it look like it only for returning to the ship, and you can't immediately try it out on space because you have to advance the main quest a bit.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Considering the large amounts of nogs in the game population i wonder if there are any chicken fastfoods in the main cities, i saw some coffee shops on some gameplays so who knows. After all, according to the basics of negronomics, large black population can only be sustained by ample amounts of fried chicken or in the other words, without chicken there can be no sheeeit.

FugueLah

Scholar
I acquired this game for free somehow and I have to hand it to Bethesda, they really managed to capture the mundanity of real life. Also, I think it's in the eyes, but they are unparalleled at creating the most npc NPCs. Everyone looks dead inside as if they are on the brink of ending it all.

I'm thinking to how this compares to the outer worlds, and I hate to say at least there's personality in that game.
It is neat however theres actual environments and weather you need to be aware of unlike in OW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom