Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

But you see what I mean, right? I mean, isn't it fucking crazy that 8 months before release we have no idea how the SPACESHIP GAME will handle SPACE TRAVEL?? Like, NOT EVEN A FUCKING HINT. It's nuts!
perfectly normal phenomenon. they don't promise because they can't deliver. when it's finished, it's done, all you're going to get is journos making normies sperg on how it is the best thing ever since sliced coke lines and it'll sell millions like it's nothing.

soulburner

Cipher
Showing gameplay when close to the release date, like no sooner than 6 months, makes sense. Otherwise you may show something that is not present in the final product, because during development it was cut or changed dramatically. Some people would never shut up about such a thing. We've seen it with Half-Life 2: Episode 2 where several areas and scenes were not present in the final game, but were shown in the trailer. The amount of complaints I saw on forums was shocking. We've seen this with The Witcher 3 with the infamous graphical downgrade, because the developers thought they could achieve a specific visual fidelity but could not deliver due to hardware limitations of consoles and even PCs at the time - we all know how long this was the main topic of discussion about the game for a few months after release.

Bethesda is trying to keep people interested in the game by showing as little as they can. Only a few concept arts here and there. Especially if the development has been troubled (and there were rumors the game was in "development hell", which means features were added and then removed constantly) I see nothing wrong here. It seems to be working as expected when looking at this thread, which is alive and well despite no gameplay footage.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Didn't they followed same route with Skyrim? If I remember right we saw some gameplay just months before release.
Anyway I'm betting my money on No Man's Sky with guns and "RPG" elements.

soulburner

Cipher
Didn't they followed same route with Skyrim? If I remember right we saw some gameplay just months before release.
I think Skyrim's footage was released earlier, but I remember Fallout 4 trailer was shown like 4 months before release, so I wouldn't expect to see Starfield before this year's E3.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyway I'm betting my money on No Man's Sky with guns and "RPG" elements.
...and "RPG" elements.
Like building, crafting and romances.

• "It's nice with Starfield to go back to some things we didn't do, the backgrounds, the traits, defining your character, all those stats. There's so many games now that do those things, that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older hardcore RPGs, something that we used to do, doing those again in a new way."

Todd is gonna save RPGs, you just need to believe.

Norfleet

I wonder which family member we'll be looking for this time.
Maybe we'll have an entire fambly to find, like Pirates! in Space where we can collect all the fambly members like pokeymen. Maybe each member gives a special buff/trait/feature.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Todd is gonna save RPGs, you just need to believe.
Reminder: Todd Howard has better taste in CRPGs than the large majority of Codexers.

l62uxo.png

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So, how does space travel work in Starfield? Todd has said that it feels "dangerous" in the way that flying during the 1940s was still pretty nuts.
It's Bethesda, so travel will be automatic, with shaky and rumbling animation, but every 5 mins something breaks down and they player has to actively hit it repeatedly with a blunt object to repair. Maybe do a space walk to collect 5 space rocks.
The ship will also be the hat of an invisible NPC running. "It just works!"
It's the best marketing on the industry, no spoiler, nothing. You'll experience everything at launch.
Again, it's Bethesda. A few months before release there will be a special event in a spacy looking location, where selected press and embedded streamers can play under surveillance in a few specially prepared areas. They will also receive a canvas space bag with goodies to show off and call it the bestest game they ever played and ever will. If at all review copies are only given out with a "5 stars or we don't allow to release the review" clause.
On release date everyone is going to buy it blindly anyway, without knowing much, just being hyped again from the fuckton of advertising they did.
Same procedure as every time before, and Cyberbug77 even confirmed for Beth: you can release the buggiest shit ever, as long as it runs on consoles, it will sell like sliced bread and people will quickly forget all problems.
"It just works!"
:hearnoevil:

Alphons

Cipher
Reminder: Todd Howard has better taste in CRPGs than the large majority of Codexers.

For every Todd there's one Pete Hines.
:gumpyhead:
I like what we’ve done with the dialogue system… and having played Fallout 3 again recently I keep, in Fallout 4 when I’m playing, I keep hitting the button to leave dialogue. I keep forgetting, ‘Oh, I can just walk away’. I don’t have to wait for this guy to stop talking’. And now I’m playing other stuff, where there’s dialogue and I’m thinking, ‘Oh, I wish I could just walk away’. Because I don’t have the attention span for long dialogue! . . . Unless it’s Uncharted or anything by Naughty Dog, and then I never skip any of the dialogue – ’cause theirs is awesome.
http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/20/bethe...at-other-folks-wouldnt-do-or-dont-do-5352056/

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I don't expect to see gameplay footage 8 months before release, that's crazy and unrealistic especially in 2022. Things change fast.

What I am surprised to have not seen yet is any mention of the particulars of space travel. The game is called STARFIELD. Space travel should have been one of the core game mechanics decided on years ago, and I would hope is fully baked 8 months before launch. It is of central importance, like whether or not your game is first-person/third-person, or even the fucking genre it is in. For a space adventure game, the method/style/instantiation of space travel should be front and center, of utmost importance, and so on.

That's all I'm saying.

A future Todd Howard has traveled back to our current timeline. He has done so at great personal expense to create... a shelving business... Known as Hovr, back to the present future Todd Howard's company creates cutting edge best in industry floating shelf hardware using a most innovative bracket system. Watch his video and ask, what changes the nature of a game developer such that he travels back in time to create a shelving company? Also, maybe back to the present future Todd Howard has some insight into Starfield? Also worth noting, 106 year old back to the present future Todd still looks younger MCA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom