Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

abija

Prophet
Conceleament would be part of a stealth build, is what makes it broken. But stealth + supressed weapon sniping should be decent enough.
(also reading 2nd lvl in concealment might clarify something about stealth)

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Do "unique" weapons scale with level? Got this 2000 dps pistol from an early UC quest.

Starfield-9-19-2023-8-52-24-PM.png

abija

Prophet
I got that at lvl 20ish if it helps your question. That dps value in your ui mod seems misleading.

Vic

Savant
I got that at lvl 20ish if it helps your question. That dps value in your ui mod seems misleading.
it takes damage and fire rate into account, but I don't think mag size, which in this case is only 8, p good medium range weapon tho

did yours have the same damage at lvl 20?

Gargaune

Arcane
Oi! Question for the sages...

In July of 2022, modderman added Climbable Ladders to Fallout 4. With the caveat that NPCs can't navigate them, but you get the idea. I'm reasonably informed that a year later, Todd has ladders in Starfield.

But what about...

56789-1640599867-1701973575.gif

^ this?!

As early as December 2021, another modderman came up with an F4SE plugin that adds manual leaning, animated "gun inertia" and what you see up there, dynamic crouch collision.

So, to recap - DOES STARFIELD LET YOU CROUCH YOUR WAY UNDER A FUCKING STAIRCASE?

Hellraiser

Arcane
You said Starfield doesn't get boring as quickly as TOW.

Which is totally wrong. Starfield starts off boring and never lets up.

Here I unsurprisingly disagree. Once the annoying railroaded tutorial/intro section is over (after you first have to enter the lodge) and you can actually ignore the main quest there's a fair bit to do and discover. The faction quests have their moments in spite of their juvenile and amateurish writing/design, and provide some quite good rewards (apart from Ryujin), there's a bunch of more interesting unique encounters in space you can (unfortunately randomly) stumble upon, ships to board (including zero gravity boarding actions) and steal or build yourself.

The problem the game does have however is that there's an overwhelming amount of filler (including shitty low level quests in the 3 big cities), and the star map is a glorified slot machine as far as finding interesting things goes. Planetary exploration is even worse, because it's all just copy and pasted dungeons with spacers and maybe aliens, which is why one might as well ignore anything but quest-related POI and the landing mechanic as a whole unless it is a named settlement. And if you're following the main quest you're going to have a rather boring time.

TOW's problem is that when you start it you think it's going to go places, and then the illusion breaks when you realize they had no idea where to go with this, and even worse you won't see or experience anything new or interesting rather fast. It is monotony the game and for me Monarch was the point where I started to realize it. Starfield does offer some ways to break up the monotony and I found enough in it not to get bored somehow.

In any case this is a pick your poison scenario, I picked mine and you picked yours.

TOW has, at least somewhat, interesting world-building and exploring, but then gets boring quickly.

"Corporations bad and incompetent, everything is falling apart" is not interesting world-building. There's no nuance, explorations of the implications (besides the "everything is falling apart") or clever new jokes built around it (if they were aiming for a Futurama/Rick and Morty like science fiction joke setting) as you play the game, they just put an idea on the whiteboard during some design meeting and never decided to elaborate or flesh it out, just hammering "corporations bad" jokes at every step. The illusion breaks the moment you realize this. For all of bethepizda's writing's flaws and clumsy execution they at least tried to add shades of gray to their freedumb space cowboys, made their libertarianism result in a corporate narco city-state ruled by crime and corruption on one planet, and have de facto oligarchs in charge of the whole faction doing shady things. They tried giving the UC authoritarian overtones to go with the shiny utopia look. While Obshitian just said "corporations bad, everything is falling apart, there are rebels" and left it at that.

As for exploring, you get 3 cramped maps and Monarch is about as linear as something like Kashyyk in KOTOR. About the only real exploring that game has is indeed the first hub, and that location just feeds into an illusion the game is going to be good. You think "oh this is an extended starting location like goodsprings in new vegas, it's going to get more open and free once you leave" and it doesn't.

But I will give you that the exploration in the starting area, forgot what it was called, was definitely better than whatever Starfield offers at any point and thus TOW's is better, because bethpizda fucked up both the space part and the surface area part. Starfield doesn't have any actual "world" exploration rather a slot machine, just random jumping to systems hoping an interesting derelict or space station is spawned by the RNG as a random contact icon.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant

Gargaune

Arcane
again, call me a noob but why specifically a staircase? I don't remember seeing any spaces that warrant crouching in the game I think.
Not necessarily a staircase, it's just the first example that came to mind of architecture to crawl under. You couldn't do that in Todd's games so far, geometry has appropriate collision bounds (e.g. you can grab a bucket and stick it under a staircase) but the player's "navigation height" doesn't change if you crouch, so it leads to occasional annoyances where you can see you should fit into a space, but you don't. I'm just curious whether he's finally fixed it with Starfield like that mod shows for Fallout 4.

Vic

Savant
again, call me a noob but why specifically a staircase? I don't remember seeing any spaces that warrant crouching in the game I think.
Not necessarily a staircase, it's just the first example that came to mind of architecture to crawl under. You couldn't do that in Todd's games so far, geometry has appropriate collision bounds (e.g. you can grab a bucket and stick it under a staircase) but the player's "navigation height" doesn't change if you crouch, so it leads to occasional annoyances where you can see you should fit into a space, but you don't. I'm just curious whether he's finally fixed it with Starfield like that mod shows for Fallout 4.
I just checked and crouching doesn't make me go further in under a staircase

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Oi! Question for the sages...

In July of 2022, modderman added Climbable Ladders to Fallout 4. With the caveat that NPCs can't navigate them, but you get the idea. I'm reasonably informed that a year later, Todd has ladders in Starfield.

But what about...

56789-1640599867-1701973575.gif

^ this?!

As early as December 2021, another modderman came up with an F4SE plugin that adds manual leaning, animated "gun inertia" and what you see up there, dynamic crouch collision.

So, to recap - DOES STARFIELD LET YOU CROUCH YOUR WAY UNDER A FUCKING STAIRCASE?

Nope. It was one of the first things I checked. Also, the climbable ladders in Starfield take you out of first person which I found lazy. Similar to the camera in Skyrim taking you out of 1st person when you ride a horse. Even though Oblivion let you ride horses in 1st person.

Vic

Savant
also for people complaining that there is too much fast travel, I actually think there is not enough fast travel, I bought an apartment in The Well and I can't fast travel there, have to take the elevator down from the spaceport and then walk to my room...

Gargaune

Arcane
Nope. It was one of the first things I checked. Also, the climbable ladders in Starfield take you out of first person which I found lazy. Similar to the camera in Skyrim taking you out of 1st person when you ride a horse. Even though Oblivion let you ride horses in 1st person.
Bah. Can't say I'm surprised, though, Todd wouldn't want to leave modders without stuff to fix. Regarding the ladders, I'm pretty sure the Fo4 mod also pops you out to 3rd person, I think it's all leveraging the same function as when you sit on a chair.

Two more questions, though I'm afraid to ask:

1) Can you still put a cauldron on an NPC's head and rob them (literally) blind?

2) Starfield has mantling now, right? But can you mantle large objects that you can move around in the world? Maybe some of these objects could be... vaguely parallelepipedish in shape?... And placed on one another?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Bah. Can't say I'm surprised, though, Todd wouldn't want to leave modders without stuff to fix. Regarding the ladders, I'm pretty sure the Fo4 mod also pops you out to 3rd person, I think it's all leveraging the same function as when you sit on a chair.

Two more questions, though I'm afraid to ask:

1) Can you still put a cauldron on an NPC's head and rob them (literally) blind?

2) Starfield has mantling now, right? But can you mantle large objects that you can move around in the world? Maybe some of these objects could be... vaguely parallelepipedish in shape?... And placed on one another?

1. Yes you sure can.

2. It does indeed. It is ultra janky, you do stay in first person, and if I am understanding your question, the walls do not always need to be perfectly vertical. The slant at which you can mantle and object can be slightly tilted and in succession. It's far from parkour though.

Gargaune

Arcane
1. Yes you sure can.
Oh, thank God, I was worried.

2. It does indeed. It is ultra janky, you do stay in first person, and if I am understanding your question, the walls do not always need to be perfectly vertical. The slant at which you can mantle and object can be slightly tilted and in succession. It's far from parkour though.
Actually, I was hinting at stacking crates. I appreciate the art of stacking crates. :-D

marco-van-den-oever-17.jpg

And then climbing on them...

Late Bloomer

Scholar
1. Yes you sure can.
Oh, thank God, I was worried.

Actually, I was hinting at stacking crates. I appreciate the art of stacking crates. :-D

marco-van-den-oever-17.jpg

I haven't actually tried that. The building I have tried is all snap into place (outpost / ship building). I will see whats possible the next time I play.

ArchAngel

Arcane
it takes damage and fire rate into account, but I don't think mag size, which in this case is only 8, p good medium range weapon tho

I got a similar pistol at lvl 12 or so. Does 150 damage per shot, also fires 2 bullets per trigger pull but has only 6 ammo storage. Most of the time if I do not miss those 6 bullets kill most enemies, even now at lvl 23.
I have not gotten any much better weapons yet. Even sniper rifles I got do like 1/3 of that pistol. It is kind of stupid, one expects snipers to be slow but punch hard. Mine are slow and punch bad, they are only good for their good scopes. Otherwise I now use some rifle with burst fire that does around 50 damage per bullet and has 30 mag.

Vic

Savant

I got a similar pistol at lvl 12 or so. Does 150 damage per shot, also fires 2 bullets per trigger pull but has only 6 ammo storage. Most of the time if I do not miss those 6 bullets kill most enemies, even now at lvl 23.
I have not gotten any much better weapons yet. Even sniper rifles I got do like 1/3 of that pistol. It is kind of stupid, one expects snipers to be slow but punch hard. Mine are slow and punch bad, they are only good for their good scopes. Otherwise I now use some rifle with burst fire that does around 50 damage per bullet and has 30 mag.
Interesting, I have to say I don't have any pistol perks, not sure if that would change the displayed damage value.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does 150 damage per shot,
what value do you get for your weapon if you calculate Damage*FireRate/10 ? That's the DPS as per StarUI
about 1500 dps, but due to 2 bullets per shot, bullets go super fast and you spend half the time reloading your weapon. And for some stupid reason Bethesda decided that taking damage while reloading stops the animations so it is almost useless in fights where you get swarmed.. "luckily" design of the game basically forces you to carry 12 different kinds of weapons so I just switch to my next pistol or something..

Vic

Savant
what value do you get for your weapon if you calculate Damage*FireRate/10 ? That's the DPS as per StarUI
about 1500 dps, but due to 2 bullets per shot, bullets go super fast and you spend half the time reloading your weapon. And for some stupid reason Bethesda decided that taking damage while reloading stops the animations so it is almost useless in fights where you get swarmed.. "luckily" design of the game basically forces you to carry 12 different kinds of weapons so I just switch to my next pistol or something..
that seems pretty broken to get a 1500dps weapon at level 12, I got that 2200 dps pistol, also 2 bullets per shot, at level 54, and my highest per shot rifle is 435 damange with a mag size of 5 (1000 dps).

There is a perk that lowers change of reloading being interrupted when taking damage. And in regards to being swarmed just use your boostpack, p easy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
that seems pretty broken to get a 1500dps weapon at level 12, I got that 2200 dps pistol, also 2 bullets per shot, at level 54, and my highest per shot rifle is 435 damange with a mag size of 5 (1000 dps).

There is a perk that lowers change of reloading being interrupted when taking damage. And in regards to being swarmed just use your boostpack, p easy.
Boostpack is useless for anything except running away when you are using a controller. I just move back and shoot at stuff , that is only way to hit things with a controller that are not standing still. You force them to go after you in a straight line and shoot at them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom