Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

MerchantKing

Learned
For the one or two bethestards in this thread.

There is ANY thing in Starfield which I can do and acn't do in Mount & Blade : Warband + Star Wars conquest?

Is this game worse than Outer Worlds?
I can think of something you can do in Warband that you can't do in Starfield: Recruit Jeramus.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bethestards won't admit that anything is better than this game

But yes, it's worse than Outer Worlds.

At least that has a unique, wacky art style to go with its shit writing and bullet sponges.

This is just Mass Effect's "exploration" with some bad space combat and Skyrim's story glued on.

Fus Ro Derp

Ben Zyklon

Educated
Stealth in this game is horrible.
Ha. I was just coming to post about this.

During one mission line you learn the Manipulation skill, which allows you to basically exert mind control and give commands to an enemy for a while. It is given to you in the context of "this will help you on your stealth mission". Suppose you want to sneak across a room with 3 guards, with blind spots here and there but you can't get past all 3. So you are supposed to Manipulate one of them so he doesn't raise the alarm and you can sneak by the other two. But the instant you Manipulate one the other two see him standing there motionless but under your control and they start screaming WE'RE UNDER ATTACK IT'S AN INTRUDER OH GOD SOUND THE ALARM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

I was able to stealth the mission anyway but oh god how I avoided using that skill like the fucking plague.

This game wasn't even tested, tons of systems don't even work properly.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The guys who complain about this game but like Bugthesda style of games. Please check Tainted Grail: The fall of Avalon.

It is made by a Polish studio without ESG bullshit which ruined CDPR. It is early in the Alpha, version 0.5 to be exactly; The game is based in Celtic mythology and people look Celtic and in 5 hours of gameplay, I only had one crash and never saw any game breaking bugs. The game also has multiple ways to solve the same quest and attributes + skill trees referent to each attribute.

People who complain about this Commiefornia in the Space with less RPG elements than action games like Far Cry 3 and buy delux edition and never look into other less known open world single person rpg's is a huge reason behind the decline.

Honestly, the unique good thing about Starfield is that if I'm with insomnia, I can just put a SF stream and watch. Make me wanna sleep in few minutes. Everything is so boring, the setting, the npc's, factions, combat, ai, guns,

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity

At least that has a unique, wacky art style to go with its shit writing and bullet sponges.

This is just Mass Effect's "exploration" with some bad space combat and Skyrim's story glued on.

Fus Ro Derp

ME 1 Mako explorations as basic as it is was more fun than this

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Fus Ro Derp

ME 1 Mako explorations as basic as it is was more fun than this
Agreed. At least you could move faster.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stealth in this game is horrible.
As in brokenly OP?
The opposite. They wayyyy overcorrected from the overpowered Skyrim stealth archers. If you are in line of sight of anyone you can be detected instantly AND everyone for miles around starts screaming and shooting in your general direction. Even in calm situations where they have no reason to believe there are any enemies present, in a big area with lots of friendly people milling around, if they see your toe stick around a corner they instantly identify you as a hostile threat and - to say they "start firing" implies that there is a transition - there's no transition. If they see you they are shooting at you already. Response time is 0.00 seconds.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The guys who complain about this game but like Bugthesda style of games. Please check Tainted Grail: The fall of Avalon.
I played TGFA for 1.8 hours one night, and the next day I had utterly forgotten about it. Months later I saw someone else post about it and was like oh yeah, I think I played some of that.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I couldn't play outer worlds for more than 5 hours, starfield I played over 100, both are shit, just different levels of shit
Starfield is a curate's egg an otter's watermelon:

Otter-Watermelon.png

abija

Prophet
Did you actually do a stealth build? You can clear compounds as ranged sniper without getting out of caution. Or clear "friendly" buildings without even triggering a bounty. And you get absurd dmg on top. You have wallhack power and 1 shot on any difficulty. It wasn't even a correction, nevermind "over".

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Vic doesn't actually hate it. He just wishes he didn't love it because it's obviously a steaming turd.

And no, I haven't played it. Any temptation there for me to play it died when I saw that it was just an ugly mess of loading screens.

I'll stick to Elite 2: Frontier, Elite: Dangerous, Starsector, EV Nova, and Endless Sky (not to be confused with No Man's Sky, which I still haven't retried since playing the supposedly improved version years ago and getting bored).

Hellraiser

Arcane
Is this game worse than Outer Worlds?

The outer worlds falls apart the moment you hit Monarch, the setting is mostly a "corporations bad" joke that gets old so fast to the point where starfield's juvenile unoriginal space adventure themepark with a billion rip-offs from science fiction works is honestly preferable, and Obshitian somehow managed to make even worse itemization in TOW than bethesda's looter-shooter approach.

Hell even the character system is shittier because for all it's faults like no attributes (I prefer systems where attributes do limit character potential and lock skills/perks/feats, although I don't remember how much they did that in TOW), Starfield at least gives you a decent selection of useful perks where you do wonder what to pick next until (even at level 50-ish for me, although I did put points into crafting, outposts and ship combat and those are huge sinks), while TOW was infected with sawyerism or whatever to the point it barely has anything good to pick and it very quickly turned into a "ok what is the least shit thing I can spend my point on?" thing and actually a fucking chore. Calling it anti-fun doesn't do justice to TOW's character system.

Never before TOW has a game with RPG mechanics made me NOT look forward to another level-up. With both that problem and the crap itemization (you pretty much get the best gear way too soon) you have pretty much seen/experienced it all but closure to the storyline by the point you land on Monarch, which is the reason why I had to force myself to finish TOW. Also I fabulously optimistically thought that I might get some storytelling payout from it, but there was nothing good later in the game apart from revealing that it seems greater human civilization collapsed and contact was lost with humans outside of the system which was one 5 minute point of enjoyement I had from it in the who knows how many hours since I landed on Monarch.

What TOW does better is the art-style, maybe enemy variety, and the main quest design although barely, mostly because bethesda phoned-in 70% of it in Starfield with filler "go to X" objectives with no combat/character challenge, plus wasted a rather decent and original idea for the plot with their crappy writing and quest design. Maybe TOW had better choices and consequences and some reactivity because bethesda sucks with this, and I'm trying hard to erase any memory of TOW besides why it was shit from my mind as a warning to my future self, so I can't fucking remember if it did or not.

tl;dr Starfield gets boring slower than TOW.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
I couldn't play outer worlds for more than 5 hours, starfield I played over 100, both are shit, just different levels of shit

Otter-Watermelon.png
Dude, that is genuinely the most accurate depiction of every Bethesda game of the past two decades.

It's basically the end stages of heroin addiction where it's 90% pain vs 10% pleasure but the addiction keeps them going.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

tl;dr Starfield gets boring slower than TOW.

Yeah, launching from a broken colony ship with impending disaster to discover your contact flattened by his own ship is waaaaaaaaay more boring than "OK marine, now we're going to learn how to crouch and then mine some rocks" :lol:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yeah, launching from a broken colony ship with impending disaster to discover your contact flattened by his own ship is waaaaaaaaay more boring than "OK marine, now we're going to learn how to crouch and then mine some rocks" :lol:

If both games ended after roughly 2 to 3 hours you might have had a point. You might as well say TOW is better than Fallout 2 because in Fallout 2 you are sent by some primitives to fight ants in the temple of trials.

Gargaune

Arcane

"Yes, [thing] is worse than [other thing].

At least [other thing] has [insult] to go with its [injury]."

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

If both games ended after roughly 2 to 3 hours you might have had a point. You might as well say TOW is better than Fallout 2 because in Fallout 2 you are sent by some primitives to fight ants in the temple of trials.

You said Starfield doesn't get boring as quickly as TOW.

Which is totally wrong. Starfield starts off boring and never lets up. TOW has, at least somewhat, interesting world-building and exploring, but then gets boring quickly.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
How can cliches like this still be in a AAA game and unironically at that:

you find out about a hidden alien threat, you petition to speak to the senate to get secret, sealed away knowledge that is potentially dangerous but urgently needed to prevent an “alien apocalypse”. Then, right at that moment when you are making your case infront of the president (woman) of the United Colonies, the aliens attack the city and its code red. After that of course they praise you as a hero and come over to your side.

What a lazy, cliched, crutch of a plot device.

Vic

Savant
that bit actually makes sense
maybe there’s a spoiler reason, like they’re attracted to Hadrian’s cunt, or maybe she’s responsible for the attacks out of revenge for her father or some other boring cliche, but at that moment it’s really an eye roll moment

case of bad writing

Vic

Savant
I was expecting for the quests to be more… I don’t know, more Bollywood, man.

Game would've been better if they'd outsourced the writing to Indians too, then we could at least see some 8-armed elephant head things killing each other over who has more wives. Instead we got the most bland American scifi pulp imaginable.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
TOW was infected with sawyerism or whatever to the point it barely has anything good to pick and it very quickly turned into a "ok what is the least shit thing I can spend my point on?"

And even that would have been fine, but then Obsidian tied additional perk points to the flaw system, so you lose something to gain something, but there's nothing worth gaining, so it's just an exercise in gimping yourself.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
Did you actually do a stealth build? You can clear compounds as ranged sniper without getting out of caution. Or clear "friendly" buildings without even triggering a bounty. And you get absurd dmg on top. You have wallhack power and 1 shot on any difficulty. It wasn't even a correction, nevermind "over".

I have maxed stealth but I also noticed there is a second stealth perk way to the bottom, maybe thats what makes it playable?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom