Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

ArchAngel

Arcane
I really wish people would stop calling Starfield a space game. It's not. It's your typical Bethesda RPG with space game elements.
that is why it is "space" and not space. Everspace 2 is also not really a space game, it is looter shooter in space :D
does it have good loot?
typical diablo loot with 5 levels of rarity.
but is it good? actually unique items that you can design a build around etc.? Starfield has shit loot
Best I found so far are Legendary items, they do not really have some extra unique stats. Some mods can be interesting but it is more about what base weapons can do and how you combine them with ship class you chose (9 ship classes, each is basically like a class in standard aRPG but you can buy additional ones and switch at base as you want) and other abilities and items at your disposal.
It is certainly better than Starfield in shooting and exploration.
OK let me correct myself about Everspace 2. I found one top tier item, and it did have unique ability. Not something that you can build around but pretty useful. When you lose shields it creates two copies of your ship that distract enemy attacks until your shield is back. For couple of crafts shields are not main line of defense so this is very useful

Baron Dupek

Arcane

over a million more month later?

and they forgot most important part
20231025-014634.jpg

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Pillars of Eternity has more annoying loading screens
You are talking about a game created at a relatively low cost, financed via kickstarter and came out 10 years ago
so?

I’m playing pillars right now and the loading screens are more annoying than they were in Starfield

just another thing blown out of proportion because hating on Starfield was the cool thing to do

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You are talking about a game created at a relatively low cost, financed via kickstarter and came out 10 years ago
so?

I’m playing pillars right now and the loading screens are more annoying than they were in Starfield

just another thing blown out of proportion because hating on Starfield was the cool thing to do
How frequently do you get 2-3 or even 5 loading screens within a few minutes in Pillars? Because in Starfield, you easily could, if you want to get out of a room in one planet to go visit a room on another planet. This is a frequent thing. Playing the game as intended often results in multiple loading screens in a row, with little player input between them.

Shaki

Arbiter
so?

How frequently do you get 2-3 or even 5 loading screens within a few minutes in Pillars? Because in Starfield, you easily could, if you want to get out of a room in one planet to go visit a room on another planet. This is a frequent thing. Playing the game as intended often results in multiple loading screens in a row, with little player input between them.
In Pillars 2 you could easily hit 5+ loading screens in few minutes, every time you had something to do in the main city. It was ridiculous.

ArchAngel

Arcane
so?

In Pillars 2 you could easily hit 5+ loading screens in few minutes, every time you had something to do in the main city. It was ridiculous.
Pillars 2 has much faster loading screens than Pillars 1.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
so?

most of my time spent in Starfield was running dungeons for loot. There's only 1 loading screen separating the dungeon from the overworld, and another loading screen separating the cells. That's about one loading screen every 10 minutes or however long it takes me to clear a dungeon and then either port to a different cell or run to a nearby POI. I've also spent a good amount just hunting wildlife to level up and there I've gotten no loading screens in hours.

If by "as intended" you mean doing quests, I don't remember it being too bad either. It's the same as playing Skyrim and then fast traveling every few minutes to a different city and entering/leaving houses and then complaining about too many loading screens because you're rushing the quests. I've explored all the environments and talked to every NPC and didn't rush it. Well, after rushing the main quest and getting into NG+.

Not saying Starfield doesn't have its fair share of loading screens but it's not as bad as people make it out to be, by far. I'm much more annoyed by the loading screens in Pillars right now and that's an isometric oldschool type CRPG, wtf are they loading so long.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet

There are 2 factors with loading screens:
- wasted time -> definetly blown the hell out of proportion. You can get to another planet, enter a house, get an item and get back in the same time you take an elevator ride in cyberpunk.
- immersion wise -> it really really sucks

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
An SSD was a must for PoE1 and PoE2.
I remember playing PoE1 when it came out on a slow drive, and the constant, LONG, loading screens nearly ruined the game for me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
HDDs are completely outdated hardware now
They can still work fine with majority of games, but why would you do that when you can get a much faster ssd.
What will come after SSD? Faster SSD? Obviously ones with more storage but WE WANT FASTER AND MORE LIKE AN SEX-CRAZED ADDICTED WHORE NOW!!!

Yeah! Pumping programs for all that high speedy data so fast the SSD screams in ecstasy as it gets filled up. Then you dump that bitch and get a faster fatter SSD than can hold even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom