Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

jackofshadows

Magister
Nobody gonna talk about the fact that Crimson Fleet is far and away the best questline in the game and it was designed by Emil?
You mean the one with the annoying lesbians on the pirate base and with the annoying lesbians on Neon? With no option to ditch much less kill your nigger overlord any second sooner than the game allows you to? The one supposedly about space pirates but no actual piracy done whatsoever? That one?

Zlaja

Arcane
just another thing blown out of proportion because hating on Starfield was the cool thing to do

There are 2 factors with loading screens:
- wasted time -> definetly blown the hell out of proportion. You can get to another planet, enter a house, get an item and get back in the same time you take an elevator ride in cyberpunk.
- immersion wise -> it really really sucks

Nothing more detriment for the immersion than long and/or frequent loading screens. Every time you're starring at that loading screen you're taken out of the game and reminded that you're wasting your life and just how sad your life actually is.

Robotigan

Learned
Nobody gonna talk about the fact that Crimson Fleet is far and away the best questline in the game and it was designed by Emil?
You mean the one with the annoying lesbians on the pirate base and with the annoying lesbians on Neon? With no option to ditch much less kill your nigger overlord any second sooner than the game allows you to? The one supposedly about space pirates but no actual piracy done whatsoever? That one?
I'm pretty sure the reason characters like Naeva come off as annoying is mostly down to cheap voice acting. They'd be fine with a huskier delivery. Crimson Fleet has by far got the most interesting setup in the game with the most intestering choices and the quests fit the setting better than several others. Also, it has the most interesting choices in the game. Honestly I'm starting to wonder if Emil's biggest issue is that he's too nice to reign in the other quest designers.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm pretty sure the reason characters like Naeva come off as annoying is mostly down to cheap voice acting. They'd be fine with a huskier delivery.
Strongly disagree. Naeva in particular is constantly bossing PC around, being sassy in general then their relationship with the other chick (and also how genius she is) written deliberately in your face. Her VO doesn't help sure but it's all based on a rotten fundament.

As for the Neon lesbians, there's just shit writing and quest design all over. You're fucking forced to listen (and therefore to learn about them) and to pay the first lesbian in order to get to the other one. And if you kill the second one, the first one wouldn't even react to that. And if you persuade, which is plain ridiculous as many other persuasion instances in the game, the fucking COO or something of a big corpo to give you the keys to their best technology there'll be no counter-measures whatsoever!

As for the other quest lines are even shittier - well, to that I might agree, why not.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone who talks up Emil's bad writing and bad quest design deserves to be called out at least this hard.

The guy's been overrated since Oblivion. Doing "the best" quest in an awful game isn't an accomplishment.

Just Locus

Educated
The guy's been overrated since Oblivion. Doing "the best" quest in an awful game isn't an accomplishment.
Not to mention that most of the positives regarding Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood amount to quest design and not storytelling, but again, people like to prop it up regardless.
But let's not forget, this is the same guy who wanted to add all of Garrot's tools from Thief into Oblivion but decided against it simply because modders will do it for them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
just another thing blown out of proportion because hating on Starfield was the cool thing to do

There are 2 factors with loading screens:
- wasted time -> definetly blown the hell out of proportion. You can get to another planet, enter a house, get an item and get back in the same time you take an elevator ride in cyberpunk.
- immersion wise -> it really really sucks

Nothing more detriment for the immersion than long and/or frequent loading screens. Every time you're starring at that loading screen you're taken out of the game and reminded that you're wasting your life and just how sad your life actually is.
Next time you think about buying a new PC, buy a good bicycle instead. Start using it every day, you will fix all your problems that way.

Devastator

Learned
So, do you think Bethesda outsourced the writing to some circus or do they have illiterate employees?

This is just one example. There was even a situation where they mixed up "your" and "you're" in the main character's dialogue options! It felt revolting. But I forgot to document it, probably due to rage.

NDIh11H.jpeg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So, do you think Bethesda outsourced the writing to some circus or do they have illiterate employees?
It has already been established in this thread that Bethesda outsourced a substantial part of the development of Starfield, likely the result of the game having been stuck in 'development hell' for years before emerging in its current incarnation. :M

abija

Prophet
That's not an excuse, a lot of AAA games do. Elden Ring outsourced to same indian company (Lakshya) as Starfield. There's just an absurd amount of work going into these AAA productions and in most cases being wasted by shitty directors/designers/managers.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

This is just one example. There was even a situation where they mixed up "your" and "you're" in the main character's dialogue options! It felt revolting. But I forgot to document it, probably due to rage.
1698825500725.png

1698825515817.png

Yes.

This text is seen 2 dozen times per NG+ playthrough. (Provided you're doing all temples, but what else is there to do.) If anybody playtesting this knew that "pour" and "pore" are different words with different meanings, he just said "fuck it, good enough".

Devastator

Learned

Yes.

This text is seen 2 dozen times per NG+ playthrough. (Provided you're doing all temples, but what else is there to do.) If anybody playtesting this knew that "pour" and "pore" are different words with different meanings, he just said "fuck it, good enough".
Umm... Wow! What kind of elixir do they presume is being "poured" over these charts? I have not gone sufficiently into the main story, so I was unaware of the above. I have mostly ignored The Lodge, focusing instead on exploration and other quests (including UC, Ryujin, and Freestar).

Such language is genuinely annoying in RPGs, as they should be held to a higher standard here. As a non-native speaker, I find it extremely off-putting; I assume that if I notice it, then it must be very problematic. It actually surprises me that this aspect hasn't received more widespread criticism from normies.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
why are gamers so entitled?

back in my day I was happy if my dad picked up a black and white cartridge for my gameboy on the fleamarket every sunday for me

now we get games likes Starfield, which you can easily pirate btw, and you are all crying like spoiled little bitches

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

back in my day I was happy if my dad picked up a black and white cartridge for my gameboy on the fleamarket every sunday for me
Maybe you'd expect better from your games if you bought them with your money instead of mooching them off your dad you freeloader.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

now we get games likes Starfield, which you can easily pirate btw, and you are all crying like spoiled little bitches

Yeah. Exactly. Many Gameboy games are more fun than Starfield. Ever heard of Tetris? Huh? Or Super Mario Land? Or Double Dragon? Or Robocop? Or Final Fantasy Legend? Or ... look, Starfield sucks. Even you get that much if you're honest with yourself.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
if you think starfield is a bad game you’ve never played a bad game

step away from the mainstream and play some random titles to get some perspective

starfield a bad game pftttt

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
if you think starfield is a bad game you’ve never played a bad game

step away from the mainstream and play some random titles to get some perspective

starfield a bad game pftttt
For a comparison, how would you score previous Bethesda games and Starfield.

jackofshadows

Magister

First, time is way more valuable than the price now that we aren't kids.

Second, it's our duty to trash big titles if they underdeliver (not here, here it's just for recreation) otherwise the bar will be at the shit mark forever

sosmoflux

Educated
Because Starfield was meant to be good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom