Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Silverfish

Arbiter
why are gamers so entitled?

I started playing games as a regular hobby the year Soul Reaver came out.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
First, time is way more valuable than the price now that we aren't kids.
oh spare me, how many horurs are you wasting on the codex each day.
Second, it's our duty to trash big titles if they underdeliver (not here, here it's just for recreation) otherwise the bar will be at the shit mark forever
nobody cares. The bottom line is money not your post count in the Starfield thread
For a comparison, how would you score previous Bethesda games and Starfield.
idk man, it's the same game all over. This time it's Daggerfall meets Fallout 4. It's not too far from the apple tree

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
they always had typos in their games
no you fuckwad, a typo is a typographical error, i.e. the accidental replacement of one letter with another. consistently misusing basic words is caused by stupidity, not carelessness.

It actually surprises me that this aspect hasn't received more widespread criticism from normies.
you're talking about people who interchangeably use they're, there and their, based on whatever their phone autocorrects to

back in my day I was happy if my dad picked up a black and white cartridge for my gameboy on the fleamarket every sunday for me

now we get games likes Starfield, which you can easily pirate btw, and you are all crying like spoiled little bitches
every one of those b&w games had more depth, soul and integrity than the totality of bethesda's output in the past 10 years

jackofshadows

Magister
oh spare me, how many horurs are you wasting on the codex each day.
A bad example, even shitposting here is better time spent than playing subj.
nobody cares. The bottom line is money not your post count in the Starfield thread
Of course it's imperative to discourage purchases and ostracizing retards who already bought a bad product. And again, not here. Alhough even on Cotex there were plenty.

SlappyGoose

Barely Literate
if you think starfield is a bad game you’ve never played a bad game
Starfield is a bad game because they didn't even do the basics right. If the story and setting is cohesive, or there is a semi-competent gameplay loop, we have the makings of a fun game. That's a pretty low bar, but Starfield instead decides to play Limbo with my low expectations.

I don't expect great storytelling from Bethesda these days, but I do expect them to craft a cohesive setting that I can somewhat believe. At minimmum, I was expecting factions with an ideology, and an established territory. Fallout 4, which I consider to be Bethesda's second worst game, accomplishes this much. I could rant for days how stupid the ideologies of the Railroaders or the Institute are, but at least the ideologies exist. There is no cultural difference between the United Colonies and Freestar Collective. They could be under the same governing body and different political parties, and it would make no difference. The art ranges from nonsensical (cowboy city, neon city) to exactly the same as an opposing faction. Starfield setting is not simply bad, it is not believable.

The story shatters any believebility right at the start, when a man, who you've met for a grand total of 5 minutes gives you his ship. I don't want to spoil the lackluster story but throughout it all, I never felt there were any stakes or compelling mysteries that kept me wanting to play the game. In Fallout 4 your goal was to save your son and the quests involved uncovering the identity of the kidnapper, and discover why he was taken. Again, you can criticize Fallout 4's story, but at least it existed. What is the story of Starfield, become space jesus? The story in Starfield does not exist.

If a game does not have a good story or setting, they can make a fun game with a good gameplay loop. Take a look at a game like Elex, or perhaps Elex 2. The game does SO much wrong, with terrible voice acting, awful janky combat, and hideous graphics. Yet their gameplay loop is one of best i've played. The dopimine rush from crafting 29 Elex potions in a row after hours of looting handcrafted areas is unrivaled. The main gameplay loop of Explore=>Loot=>Craft is less compelling than other games. Explore a procedurally generated copy pasted world, Loot a bunch of materials that you may or may not need in the most boring way possible, Craft nothing, because there is no reason to create a colony, no ammo crafting, no reason to build weapon mods, no compelling reason to improve your ship because ship combat is boring jousting in space that requires zero skill. The gameplay loop is not fun, and the fun features like ship-building or possibly settlement-building are not encorperated in the gameplay loop.

People say that "the modders will fix the game." A game like Stalker:Anomoly has a weak gameplay loop, and little thought was put into progression, but it is technologically ambitious. Modpacks like STALKER: GAMMA turn an alright game into a great one by streamlining items (no more old ammo, a lot misc loot removed), adds tons of QOL changes, and tweaks the difficulty and prices makes it an immersive game that you can spend hours playing. However, in Starfield's case, the best the modders can do is elevate it to a 6/10 game. Modders can't fix setting or story, or atmosphere, but they can create a good gameplay loop. I'll probably pick up Starfield on sale in 5 years, once all the DLC is released, and someone makes a good Wabbajack modpack. Starfield is a bad game because they didn't get the basics right.

why are gamers so entitled?

It is not entitled to want a believable setting, a semi-compitent story, and a smooth gameplay loop. If F2P videogames can give you this, $70 Starfield should as well.

Devastator

Learned
Interesting, even Reddit NPCs find Starfield mediocre:
8mnxVLv.jpeg

Wasn't someone here just saying that it is a good game? :)

Moink

Cipher
https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14888

Funny url aside, seems like there might be some serious problems when it comes to modding in the future.

The game engine appears to be treating light and regular plugins as two separate, distinct load orders when looking at the masters of a plugin rather than a single flat list as it had worked in Skyrim/Fallout 4. This means that if your plugin has another plugin as a master which is marked as light, that plugin will be loaded into the "light" load order. Then, if a new version of the master plugin is released without the light flag, the plugin will now be loaded into the "regular" load order. As the plugin no longer exists in the load order it is expected to be in, the game will be unable to resolve any data from your plugin that references the master and the entire plugin will effectively be corrupted.

Vic

Savant
Interesting, even Reddit NPCs find Starfield mediocre:
8mnxVLv.jpeg

Wasn't someone here just saying that it is a good game? :)
yeah reception of the game was from the very beginning 50/50 love/hate. Even now the fires are still burning especially on the steam forums.

edit: dude fuck off with that Besthard tag whoever gave it to me again you suck big black cocks

Bulo

Scholar
It probably has something to do with your strange servile behaviour. In one post you're defending Starfield vehemently, as if Bethesda could do no wrong, and in the next you can't say enough bad things about it (either because you want the bullies to ease off, or because there's a voice ringing through your skull, trying to wake you to the truth that Starfield is an extraordinarily poor effort that's only superficially engaging and not at all worth your time or loyalty)

Vic

Savant
It probably has something to do with your strange servile behaviour. In one post you're defending Starfield vehemently, as if Bethesda could do no wrong, and in the next you can't say enough bad things about it (either because you want the bullies to ease off, or because there's a voice ringing through your skull, trying to wake you to the truth that Starfield is an extraordinarily poor effort that's only superficially engaging and not at all worth your time or loyalty)
So if I like a game I have to become a fanboy and only talk about the good parts? Plenty of shortcomings that I have talked about but overall I still like it. Can you imagine

Vic

Savant
I guess talking about a game you like is a punishable offense. Literally nazi germany
Please put a yellow star somewhere in the 'Bethestard' tag.
it wasn't just the jews that got fucked during nazi germany. Information and propaganda was tightly controled by the nazi regime, with many germans who spoke out against the regime being tortured or executed, similar to how it is in this thread.

edit: I'm not even joking anymore. I had to beg infinitron last time to remove this stupid tag and now some dipshit gave it to me again because I like a game? go and fuck yourself asshole

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

Funny url aside, seems like there might be some serious problems when it comes to modding in the future.

The game engine appears to be treating light and regular plugins as two separate, distinct load orders when looking at the masters of a plugin rather than a single flat list as it had worked in Skyrim/Fallout 4. This means that if your plugin has another plugin as a master which is marked as light, that plugin will be loaded into the "light" load order. Then, if a new version of the master plugin is released without the light flag, the plugin will now be loaded into the "regular" load order. As the plugin no longer exists in the load order it is expected to be in, the game will be unable to resolve any data from your plugin that references the master and the entire plugin will effectively be corrupted.
I guarantee most modders are going to run out of steam quite quickly with this game. This is not going to be another Skyrim. Of course there will be the modders who devote their lives to fixing the game, but it will not be a thriving community like Skyrim is.

Well that's my prediction anyway

Gargaune

Arcane

NO MOD NO TODD

Silverfish

Arbiter
I had to beg infinitron last time to remove this stupid tag and now some dipshit gave it to me again because I like a game?

That, and because it's funny. The important thing is that [Intelligence] you're fighting the good fight with your voice.

Robotigan

Learned
The guy's been overrated since Oblivion. Doing "the best" quest in an awful game isn't an accomplishment.
Not to mention that most of the positives regarding Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood amount to quest design and not storytelling, but again, people like to prop it up regardless.
But let's not forget, this is the same guy who wanted to add all of Garrot's tools from Thief into Oblivion but decided against it simply because modders will do it for them.
Quest design is more important than storytelling.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Eh. If that were always the case, visual novels wouldn't be a thing.

Personally, I find games like Skyrim are ruined for me due to their awful writing rather than their boring quest design.

Morrowind's quests were mostly fetch quests and other boring things, but the writing was fairly high-quality compared to Oblivion and everything that followed it.

Just Locus

Educated
I'd also like to mention that the latter half of the Dark Brotherhood questline is extremely mediocre compared to the start, which you conveniently don't see people mentioning... Almost like it's extremely overrated or something

Robotigan

Learned
Well, well, well. So you finally admit it, eh? But to be serious for a moment, these are roleplaying games so constructing good gameplay scenarios should be a priority. Visual novels are more of an evolution of comic books.
Personally, I find games like Skyrim are ruined for me due to their awful writing rather than their boring quest design.

Morrowind's quests were mostly fetch quests and other boring things, but the writing was fairly high-quality compared to Oblivion and everything that followed it.
Morrowind doesn't have writing, Morrowind has non-writing. It has a big book of lore, but how the characters and stories work is purely functional. Now as a strategy gamer, I'm fine with that. But just letting you guys know because when a company like Bethesda hears "you need better writing" they're gonna be thinking TLoU or Disco Elysium not Morrowind. Now all that being said, yes I appreciate Morrowind's lore immensely and it led to some of the most intriguing civilizations in any RPG. It's really cool that there are 4 distinct architectural styles associated with each society.

Now THAT being said, some grognards discredit Skyrim because most of what it does better is the unspoken stuff. Like besides the towns and cities, Skyrim's overworld is way better than Morrowind. It's not even close. Morrowinds fauna just aimlessly meanders around waiting to attack the player like an MMO. In Skyrim bears and sabertooth cats lurk in caves and dens. Giants lead mammoth herds. Wolves hunt in packs. Mudcrabs hide in marshlands. Birds fly overhead and butterflies flit around. There's at least 8 distinct biomes that seamlessly blend into each other. Morrowind has maybe 3 and the most prominent one is basically just empty terrain map that you spend your entire playthrough trying to avoid. The reason that dragons are such a big deal for Skyrim when they're in half of all fantasy games (and much more challenging encounters) is because Skyrim's ecology is more convincing and dragons have been integrated into that in just about the highest effort way possible. Now in terms of lore, yes they're integrated in just about the laziest way possible. But again, I would argue that making cool dragons is more important than making cool dragon lore. We're not exactly starving for the latter.

Oh, and one more thing. Skyrim did Dwemer ruins better. In Morrowind much of their design--aside from big daddy Akulakhan himself--is generic steampunk. There's a semblence of their Babylonian inspiration in Morrowind, but Skyrim did 90% of the work manifesting it. Also depicting Dwemer as floating ghosts when their disappearance is such a major part of the lore was stupid. Skyrim's idea to invent a Falmer slave race that inhabits the ruins instead was such an improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom