Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Who cares about modding when not a single aspect of the game is good and next-gen?

WHAT? Modding is great. Look to Mount & Blade. A Amazing game but tahnks to mods, you can play any shit, from ww1, to Naruto and Star Wars in the game. Modding can increase the replayability of a game exponentially. But in Starfield, people would't do interesting mods cuz the game is shit.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
But Starfield is not the same, the loading screens every time you want to do something is the mayor part that prevents this game from feeling like a Bethesda game, everything feels very disconnected and there is also no radiant AI and no other races than humans, the lore it's pretty dull.
I understand your criticism of it but I disagree that it makes the game not feel like a BGS game.
Back in Morrowind my speed stat would be godly when I'd buff it with a self-made speed boost spell. Morrowind 1390 exterior cells and if you reached the end of the cell too early you'd be made to wait a few seconds for the next cell to load. Travelling in Morrowind for me was like this, since I'd cast a speed boost spell and a levitate spell, hit the cell limit too early, freeze for 5+ seconds, then continue zooming through the air like a bosmer crackfiend. You might say that it was my fault for using the speed buff, but it was downright required otherwise you'd get pecked on by a cliffracer every 10 seconds. It was way more immersion breaking but I still had tons of fun with Morrowind. The constant freezes were something I could ignore as long as I could continue roleplaying as some Telvanni NEET.

The different races and lore is a matter of preferences, I don't think having different races and mutants was what qualified a game to be a BGS game. I like the different approach taken to space and the fact that it's not about aliens but about multiverse. The market is already saturated with alien settings that are more iconic, like Star Wars, Mass Effect. I take my inspiration for how I want my space fantasy to play out from Cowboy Bebop, and so far it's been enjoyable.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
But in Starfield, people would't do interesting mods cuz the game is shit.
oh boy :lol:

Starfield is a game so vanilla at this point that it just begs for mods. I can imagine many. One thing that I just thought of recently was to add more stuff to find to the procedural generation, like collectibles or locations or something that feels more rewarding that what we currently have. Maybe like that Skyrim mod where you can make a museum of "artifacts" that you can find across the Settled Systems.

If modders can tap into the procedural generation alrogithm the potential is big imo. Then of course all the mods for hand crafted locations.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Jank of this game continues to level up, even when doing main quest. So I took Sarah to the mission to find Andreja and as soon as both decide to follow me they start their internal conversation that has two different discussions where each lasts about 30s. And once they finish it, about 30s later they start it again.. and again.. and again.. and it never stopped... OMFG!! Bethesda!

Funny shit, they actually stopped but only because I ran into another bug.. at some point both of them just went poof and disappeared.. so I finished the missions alone and they spawned back once I finished the mission. Luckily Andreja leaves then and they do not continue their loop..

Vic

Savant
So I took Sarah to the mission to find Andreja and as soon as both decide to follow me they start their internal conversation that has two different discussions where each lasts about 30s. And once they finish it, about 30s later they start it again.. and again.. and again.. and it never stopped... OMFG!! Bethesda!
Yup, never take those 2 together on your ship :lol:

FugueLah

Scholar
I upgraded my frontier in ng+. I put a 975 shield on it, but my ship's tooltip says the shield is 194. Nfi why or what to do with it. The ship is bricked and I spent at least 250k creds on it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I swear only thing that is keeping me playing this game is because my brain is already busted from playing Diablo likes since Diablo 1.. there is nothing of real worth in this game, this is a game for aRPG fans and MMRPG fans. Quests are basically MMORPG level and the rest is murdering tons of same enemies and collecting loot with modifiers and leveling up your skills..

I also visited that space station that Constelation owns and then I tried to look through the windows to see cool graphics of planets and space but even that is missing..

Vic

Savant
I swear only thing that is keeping me playing this game is because my brain is already busted from playing Diablo likes since Diablo 1.. there is nothing of real worth in this game, this is a game for aRPG fans and MMRPG fans. Quests are basically MMORPG level and the rest is murdering tons of same enemies and collecting loot with modifiers and leveling up your skills..
I'm sorry but are you hating on the game for codex cool points? You just said you're the target audience for the game :lol:

I do agree tho, the looter shooter mechanics tap into that random loot dopamine trigger from ARPGs and MMOs, but while there is a lot of weapon variety, it is urgently lacking in interesting set pieces. In regards to MMO-type quests, I think a lot of them are designed early on to get you to explore and send you to various places, ie fetch quests. Some are quite good and overall the writing is above their previous games, but it suffers a bit early on due to their intent of getting you around places.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Say whetever you want about Cyberpunk but at least there is very few loading, plus add the fact that Starfield loads not to generate an open world but a tiny 1km2 cell.
Technically the cell is something around 6 square kilometers, which is similar to cyberpunk's 6,25 for the whole map.

The difference is of course that night city has more graphical complexity as opposed to just a terrain mesh and at best some trees, rocks, about 20-ish alien or human and maybe one or two structures in visible range. Although it still used tricks like fading pedestrians.

A better comparison critical of Starfield's technical side compared to Cyberpunk would be to the ridiculously small and seperated by loading screens New Atlantis, every one of those separate areas feels more cramped than Santa Monica or Downtown from Bloodlines not to mention New Vegas' titular city, and on top of that the game is choppy in those areas for no obvious reason (Akila City that also has some choppiness is at least is within an open world). V's apartment complex from Cyberpunk is by contrast huge and detailed, and while it did have "extra" attention to detail compared to other areas of cyberpunk, it's not difficult to find other areas of Night City which quite frankly put to shame Bethesda's shitty implementation of New Atlantis.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
so I'm playing on Normal difficulty, I'm level 41 and currently exploring a level 40 planet. Just killing aliens for xp and loot to sell to Noel at Constellation, who buys all that organic crap, and looking for abandoned bases which have Elites to get good drops. Game is pitting me against level 62 Elites who tear through me in a few seconds. So for anybody complaining about combat being too easy, try fighting tougher opponents :lol:

Hellraiser

Arcane
I like the different approach taken to space and the fact that it's not about aliens but about multiverse. The market is already saturated with alien settings that are more iconic, like Star Wars, Mass Effect. I take my inspiration for how I want my space fantasy to play out from Cowboy Bebop, and so far it's been enjoyable.

It is similar for me, I like that they tried not to go for a smaller scope of just the immediate interstellar neighborhood, without intelligent aliens all over the place going more for a Firefly or Expanse-like setting rather than full on Star Wars or Star Trek. Always thought these kind of human-centric or smaller scope settings are underused. Of course bethesda failed with trying to do interesting with the factions and other bits of worldbuilding so it feels like a theme park where they just put in space cowboys, a star trek federation-like clean "utopia" where everyone joined hands and got rid of all national and religious divisions* and cyberpunk corporations.

*I think they really failed to make the transition believable, Star Trek at least had nuclear war in the backstory, while Mass Effect had the Alliance only as a front office for nation-states. I am also very much not a fan of this kind of approach unless the timescale is long enough. Something like Freelancer's houses where they were allied but splintered-off based on colony ship would be more believable, as would an ideological division scenario like Sid Meier's (actually Brian Raynolds') Alpha Centauri did.

Vic

Savant
*I think they really failed to make the transition believable, Star Trek at least had nuclear war in the backstory, while Mass Effect had the Alliance only as a front office for nation-states. I am also very much not a fan of this kind of approach unless the timescale is long enough. Something like Freelancer's houses where they were allied but splintered-off based on colony ship would be more believable, as would an ideological division scenario like Sid Meier's (actually Brian Raynolds') Alpha Centauri did.
you listened to this crap in the game, right? Because they had several major wars and factions:

Hellraiser

Arcane
you listened to this crap in the game, right? Because they had several major wars and factions:

I did and it does not address the main point, the UC monolith is simply unnatural because they dumped who knows how many countries together, and suddenly centuries or millenia old divisions evaporated and the new status quo mostly endured, with just one major group of rebels popping up and later cultists appearing. In any believable work of fiction the old divisions would re-emerge and flare-up as soon as the more urgent crisis of getting off Earth was behind them, with arguments about resources or prime land being a catalyst.

Now if at least there was a backstory how the evacuation of Earth was used as a convenient way to get rid of possible troublemakers and only get obedient sheep off Earth, I could buy the UC. But as it is it looks like another piece of lazy bethesda writing, and at best this is a poor attempt of trying not piss off any actual people by using real world countries thus pleasing suits, just like they did with their made up religions (in the case of religions I can kind of agree, it would just be a PR shitstorm).

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Saw a strange object in the distance, found a whole army of these DragonStarborn losers and their ship. Killed them, only to find that the ship is [Inaccessible].

Fucking decline. Why even make a door then if I can't get into the very-obviously-Sphere-reference ship??

Vic

Savant
they never had especially good writing with the exception of the crazy shit that Kirkbride did for them in Morrowind.

BruceVC

Magister
Ok, which settlements have any evidence of war destruction whatsoever? And even if places like New Atlantis didn't get affected, there would still be poverty and economic destruction present. There would still be PEOPLE injured or maimed from fighting. There should be depressed homeless veterans in the streets.
Well, the infamous "tranny" character was a xenobiologist in the colony war but then xeno stuff and mechs were outlawed after the war, so a lot of people lost their jobs. There are abandonded mech graveyards which indicate to that.
I prefer to read positive posts about Starfield because I dont really trust many of the negative opinions because often they based on US culture wars garbage and they just repetition of what other people think. They lack objectivity

Saying all that the game has received about 75% on many reviews so its not the resounding success of BG3, what would you give it out of a 100?

Im definitely going to play Starfield but I will wait about 12 months till most of the official patches and updates are released and also all " must have " mods have been created

Self-Ejected
Ok, which settlements have any evidence of war destruction whatsoever? And even if places like New Atlantis didn't get affected, there would still be poverty and economic destruction present. There would still be PEOPLE injured or maimed from fighting. There should be depressed homeless veterans in the streets.
Well, the infamous "tranny" character was a xenobiologist in the colony war but then xeno stuff and mechs were outlawed after the war, so a lot of people lost their jobs. There are abandonded mech graveyards which indicate to that.
I prefer to read positive posts about Starfield because I dont really trust many of the negative opinions because often they based on US culture wars garbage and they just repetition of what other people think. They lack objectivity

Saying all that the game has received about 75% on many reviews so its not the resounding success of BG3, what would you give it out of a 100?

Im definitely going to play Starfield but I will wait about 12 months till most of the official patches and updates are released and also all " must have " mods have been created
Look the game is good it has of course many flaws but at the end of the day is a valid space rpgish title with exploration. The game has a lot of mechanics and stuff that is interesting even the quests are for the most part interesting compared to Skyrim for example. I like the game but claiming is a masterpiece would be laughtable as best.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Saw a strange object in the distance, found a whole army of these DragonStarborn losers and their ship. Killed them, only to find that the ship is [Inaccessible].

Fucking decline. Why even make a door then if I can't get into the very-obviously-Sphere-reference ship??

I also visited that space station that Constelation owns and then I tried to look through the windows to see cool graphics of planets and space but even that is missing..
I upgraded my frontier in ng+. I put a 975 shield on it, but my ship's tooltip says the shield is 194. Nfi why or what to do with it. The ship is bricked and I spent at least 250k creds on it.
So many cucked by God Howard on just one page, or as Vic would say:
"Noticed something wrong with Starfield? Welcome to retard list!" *clicks ignore*

Vic

Savant
huh, the power Personal Atmosphere makes encumberance a non issue because it gives you unlimited oxygen... well you still can't fast travel tho, but running around is no problem

Paladin Danse in F4 was great storytelling, in my opinion, maybe their best.
they do have their moments, Starfield is certainly no exception!

what would you give it out of a 100?
this is the most common mistake people make with the game. It just released for god's sake :lol: Give it some time for patches and DLCs, bethesda hasn't even released a performance patch yet despite the shit performance on many systems.... this is a significant factor that affects the negative review scores too.

If I had to review it now I'd give it a 60/100 because of bugs, lacking systems and bad performance. I don't know what they will do with the DLCs and updates but I see the potential here. Worst case, they make it a "boring" canvas for modders to go to town on this puppy. But even in the current state I can see myself reaching close to 200 hours before getting bored, it's wild, haven't been hooked on a game like this since Cyberpunk and that got boring after 100 hours across two playthroughs. There was nothing else left to discover, whereas with Starfield I haven't even done the majority of the questlines yet.

Last edited:

Johnny Biggums

Learned
So I downloaded a torrent to see if the game will even run on my Windows 7 PC. I installed the game, applied the crack, and got this:

SbVZToey_o.png

So I guess not? Reading a little on it it seems like it might be related to Windows 7, but I'm not sure.

I've pushed my luck with specs before but wrong OS is one I've intuitively avoided.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I just wanted to say that I really regret purchasing Starfield. Mods won't fix this. Why did I do it? Because I like suffering? Because I'm more susceptible to marketing than I thought? All I wanted to do was collect minerals in a world where all the modded women looked like models. And now I'm having flashbacks to Andromeda, where the worst thing isn't actually the fact that everyone is LGBT, but that all the NPCs are constantly talking poorly written dialogues and monologues. I can't walk past an NPC without them starting to mumble some boring, irrelevant details about the name of the brother-in-law of the manager of the planet Mungo, or that our polyamorous relationship is over because instead of a cat, a non-binary crocodile is fucking a trans man.

Perhaps this experience will finally teach me that AAA games are not worth buying. Perhaps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom