Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MMA fighter, former UFC Middleweight Champion, and famous Australian person Robert "Bobby Knuckles" Whittaker provides his thoughts on Starfield.

He likes it a lot. He ignored the main quest as soon as he could and started building outposts on different planets.

He did have a criticism he brought up though. He likes playing melee and unarmed characters, but he felt that melee just wasn't that that viable at higher levels.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
darkpatriot Just disregard these shit talkers here, why bother proving them wrong. I’m just ignoring these people who come into this thread just to shit on the game. You need to have some mental illness to keep coming to a game’s thread you don’t like and shit talk it.

Much cleaner thread now :)

ColaWerewolf

Educated
It's like wanting a chimpanzee as a pet, but going in a triggered state of frantic butthurt whenever you see a bonobo and calling for their mass extermination. They share literally 99% the same DNA.

It's not always about the bonobos, even though I find them disgusting and immersion breaking in most cases. Sometimes, you absolute wretch, it's about the people who put them in the game to begin with instead of putting in the chimpanzee's, they put in disgusting bonobos. Why would a bunch of people who always put chimpanzees pets in their game start to put nothing bug disgusting bonobos in their game? The fact that these people are worshiping and fetishising these bonobos is enough to make some people sick.

Even if Starfield was a good game, it isn't, even if it had the same gunplay as Fallout 4, it doesn't, even if the UI was functional, it isn't, even if you could fly from planet to planet, you can't, even if the dialogue was well written and interesting, it isn't, even if ship combat was engaging, it isn't, even if the procedural generated content was interesting and varied, it isn't, the game would be ruined because of those fucking bonobo's. I would rather not play than have to look and be talked down to by a bunch of filthy bonobos.
Something tells me you are associating the bonobos with niggers. Rude, honestly, what did bonobos ever do to deserve that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So I downloaded a torrent to see if the game will even run on my Windows 7 PC. I installed the game, applied the crack, and got this:

SbVZToey_o.png

So I guess not? Reading a little on it it seems like it might be related to Windows 7, but I'm not sure.
you need windows 10

images

note the SSD required
I've discovered other games which say they require Windows 10 but run fine on my PC.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
say they require Windows 10 but run fine on my PC.

M$ wanna to push their new bloatware/spyware, hence to run DX12, you need to """upgrade""".

I would suggest refunding the game and writing that you are refunding due pronouns, installing Linux and running this M$ games with Proton. This game is silver in steamdb ( https://www.protondb.com/app/1716740 ). The new version of M$ bloatware will come with "smartapp" which is the first step to take out control over what your run in yuor PC and give to M$.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bethesda can't code. Linux user realizes fuck up and fixes it, improving performance dramatically (but only for Linux users)
https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/pull/1694

Bugthesda before this ESG crap already made lots and lots of bugs. Imagine now that is full of diversity hires...

Anyway, some old games like Jade Empire, I could't run in M$ bloatware, no matter what. In Linux is click and play. Others like Elden Ring, the performance is extremely better in Linux.

Vic

Savant
Bethesda can't code. Linux user realizes fuck up and fixes it, improving performance dramatically (but only for Linux users)
Still haven't seen concrete evidence of this 'improved performance'
did you read that github PR?

at the bottom he also says "To be clear, the gains expected here are very minute. Single percent range to pop some final bubbles that Mesa didn't clean up on its own. The real gains come from recent Mesa patches on main."

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
Because we shouldn't expect any. A post on that very github page says:
To be clear, the gains expected here are very minute. Single percent range to pop some final bubbles that Mesa didn't clean up on its own.
This is something that happens very often and is the reason why we have "game ready" drivers on Windows - the sole reason for the existence of such an idea is that developers cannot into code and depending on the popularity of a game, Nvidia/AMD/Intel will have their engineers look through the behavior of a game and fix a lot of bugs. Ever wondered why GPU drivers take so much space on disk? It's because they contain code and redacted shaders for thousands of games, all fixed by GPU vendors instead of developers.

With Linux and VKD3D being open source we have a chance to look at some of what needs to be fixed this way. This patch will make running the game under Linux gain a few fps to be more on par with Windows. Nothing to see here unless you actually game on Linux.

Last edited:

jaydee2k

Savant
Disastrous shit game for morons. Todd Howard fucked your asses again. This gaylord put at least 1000 cock suckers in this gayme.

Yosharian

Arcane
Because we shouldn't expect any. A post on that very github page says:
To be clear, the gains expected here are very minute. Single percent range to pop some final bubbles that Mesa didn't clean up on its own.
This is something that happens very often and is the reason why we have "game ready" drivers on Windows - the sole reason for the existence of such an idea is that developers cannot into code and depending on the popularity of a game, Nvidia/AMD/Intel will have their engineers look through the behavior of a game and fix a lot of bugs. Ever wondered why GPU drivers take so much space on disk? It's because they contain code and redacted shaders for thousands of games, all fixed by GPU vendors instead of developers.

With Linux being open source and all that we have a chance to look at some of what needs to be fixed this way. This VKD3D patch will make running the game under Linux gain a few fps to be more on par with Windows. Nothing to see here unless you actually game on Linux.
Lmao. So much for 60 FPS turning into 130, which was claimed by someone in this thread

Vic

Savant
You can use the Trade Authority to launder your stolen goods. Just sell them the stolen stuff, then use the buyback option without leaving the vendor. You will buy them back at the same price, and they will no longer be stolen.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
It's perfectly reasonable to like F4/F3 more than Starfield, but I don't get how you can't find any enjoyment out of SF, even if to a lesser extent, if you liked F4/F3. The formula might be different and, in your opinion, worse, but it's still there. The setting is different, yeah. Exploration is still there, just spaced out more. People actually complained about that in Skyrim and the Fallouts, that everything was too close together like an amusement park. Now they complain it's too far apart.

I played Morrowind first then all the other TES games sans Battlespire, then the Fallout games sans F76. I absolutely liked some more than the others, but they're the fucking same type of game (with exception of Arena and DF maybe), just with sometimes writing being worse in one game than the other, or the quests, or the premise, or the characters, or the spells, or the gunplay, etc. But I can't say I played a game that, despite liking less than the others, gave me no enjoyment. Because it's just Morrowind but with robots. Or Skyrim but with guns. Or Oblivion but with spaceships.

It's like wanting a chimpanzee as a pet, but going in a triggered state of frantic butthurt whenever you see a bonobo and calling for their mass extermination. They share literally 99% the same DNA.

But Starfield is not the same, the loading screens every time you want to do something is the mayor part that prevents this game from feeling like a Bethesda game, everything feels very disconnected and there is also no radiant AI and no other races than humans, the lore it's pretty dull.

Vic

Savant
But Starfield is not the same, the loading screens every time you want to do something is the mayor part that prevents this game from feeling like a Bethesda game,
Can you explain this loading screen business to me? In Starfield, like in every other bethesda game, the outside world is one area (no loading screens) and inside buildings/caves etc. is another area and you enter with loading screen. It's the same in Starfield. What's the problem?

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How do I get the minigun and the drum barrel grenade launcher? Are these weapons level locked?

Nope, you can get a minigun doing the Crimson Fleet questline. It is towards the end but it is there. If you were to do Crimson Fleet as your first quest chain you'd easily have that weapon by level 12-15 I would guess. They don't, however, appear at vendors or as random loot so in that way, they are "sort of" level locked but the hand placed ones can be gotten if you know where to find them.

Fair warning, its fucking OP and trivializes nearly all content if you can keep it fed with 7.77 mm ammo.

Last edited:

Ben Zyklon

Educated
But Starfield is not the same, the loading screens every time you want to do something is the mayor part that prevents this game from feeling like a Bethesda game,
Can you explain this loading screen business to me? In Starfield, like in every other bethesda game, the outside world is one area (no loading screens) and inside buildings/caves etc. is another area and you enter with loading screen. It's the same in Starfield. What's the problem?

Dude stop playing dumb, I'm talking about:

1. You can't manually go to any planet, you have to go through a loading screen and fast travel to it essentially
  2. You can't explore the planet surface at will
  3. If you wish to explore another zone of the planet you need to go to your ship first and go through two loading screens to even do it
  4. There is no exploration in space, you are contained in a box all the time, it all feels like boxes that you are constantly fast traveling to, it all is disconnected
  5. You can actually fast travel without going manually to the location first because the game isn't coded to allow you to manually go anywhere (first point in this list) so you have fast travel unlocked everywhere
It's just completely disconnected and full of loading screens all the time and it doesn't feel like an adventure in an open world game, it feels like you are just fast traveling to different boxes.

Vic

Savant
Dude stop playing dumb, I'm talking about:
you're getting close to be on the retard list. I don't see the issues with loading screens and am wondering what all the fuss is about you guys seem to make.

You can't manually go to any planet, you have to go through a loading screen and fast travel to it essentially
That's because each planet's orbit is its own "space", it's compartmentalized, so the issue is not the loading screens itself but how the galaxy map is structured. I don't care for boring flying between planets so I'm fine with as is, BUT I can see how space exploration could be made more interesting.

You can't explore the planet surface at will
I don't know about you but I spent hours exploring planets and I only get loading screens when I enter a cave/abandoned location etc. I don't see what you are talking about here.

You can actually fast travel without going manually to the location first because the game isn't coded to allow you to manually go anywhere (first point in this list) so you have fast travel unlocked everywhere
That's wrong. You can't fast travel to solar systems you haven't been yet. Also you are not forced to use fast travel, if you want more random encounters it's better to fly with your ship into orbit.

It's just completely disconnected and full of loading screens all the time and it doesn't feel like an adventure in an open world game, it feels like you are just fast traveling to different boxes.
Yes, um, because you are? If you want seamless space exploration then clearly Starfield is not the game for you. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom