Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    yes but its not a good workplace, frat mentality , probably execs with massive ego. They would rather sink than eat the humble pie.

^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Salsa: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...iary-228-new-content-features-in-3-2.1494598/

Pompous Purists seems like a weird civic, but interesting. I mean, who the hell takes a diplomatic civic while playing Xenophobes? Could use more salt to make it really pop out - say, a Unity bonus from thinking themselves superior to others. I suspect a lot of people will take it just not to be bothered by other civs. Feels like AIs with it would behave a bit akin to Fallen Empires, at least in the sense that all meaningful interactions with them come from the other side.

Ship Browser and improved Anomaly and event diversity is nice.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    ^ Top  
  3. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    The new species pack seems rather fishy.

• Fishy x 9
    • meh x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Math! x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    If only it was something of substance, instead of just image packs. So these will have a preference for ocean worlds, big deal. Stellaris needs much more emphasis on habitability preference.

^ Top  
  5. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    "Arch-Emperor of the Thousand Suns, may i distract you from your meditations? "
    "Yes, my humble servitor?"
    "Planet BurgerKing needs another clerk"

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    I keep hoping they'll say "Hahaha, gotcha! Wow what a long april fools joke that was! OK here are your warp engines back."

But I will never give them another dime. It's hilarious that people are talking about how maybe they'll learn from this and stellaris 2 will be better. Like, how the fuck dumb can a person be? You're gonna shell out another 500 dollars for stellaris 2 and all 250 DLCs? And how do you know they won't just abandon the half finished design they release the game in, and make it a different, shittier, game, like they did with this?

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    Something like the sector governors acting more like vassals with their own agenda would be cool, maybe they form your council with their own goals like in CKII. Also, the great Khan has been a nothingburger in every single game I've played, they always die after just a few years.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    To be reasonable, the game IS getting better.

I think a Stellaris 2 would already be superior for a simple reason: It would use the superior code from the newer iterations of the Clausewitz engine. Stellaris' current code is an unoptimized mess.

Crusader Kings III is incredibly fast, I could run it with an Intel HD 4000, an i5-3210M and 8gb RAM with all graphics super low and some mods, I suspect if I upgraded my processor and RAM, even if my temperature went to worrying levels. I suspect that if I upgraded my processor and RAM and do some repaste, it will run pretty well at low graphics with decent temps, no sweat. I don't even have a video card, I suspect it runs like silk on any good computer from 2015 and beyond. If they use that code-base, they can probably milk it for years and years.

Stellaris 2 using CKIII's code would likely be able to have Tiny Galaxies the size of the Huge ones in Stellaris 1, easily.

Wanna know why Stellaris wans't abandoned and Stellaris 2 will take a while to arrive:
    1. Its still profitable.
    2. Stellaris 2 is lkely on the back-burner, conceptual at best, behind projects likely already in development such as HOI5 and EUV.
    3. They can keep interest in Stellaris until Stellaris 2 becomes a thing.

Also, with Royal Court, it seems Paradox is getting away from their DLC model and going back to large, beefy expansions.

I don't think Stellaris 2 will be a thing until, I don't know, 2025. They're releasing Vicky 3 soon, HOI4 and EUIV are getting long in the tooth and likely getting sequels in the next years.

Personally I never gave a dime to Pdox, partly because of their abusive DLC system.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    The Stellaris development has no direction. It reminds me of a big software project in high school where every year a new group of students was working on it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Ravielsk Scholar

Ravielsk
    If by better you mean that for every step forward they make two back, then yeah its getting better.

Optimization is the least of Stelarise's problems. The core issue comes from the devs having no idea what the game is even supposed to be and just running in every direction possible. The current performance issues are 100% the result of them going for a while in the direction of "economy management simulator" and then just stopping. They increased the number of pops by a factor of 10x-20x but changed literary nothing about how said pops function(unless you count cutting the players ability to manually place them) which lead to massive amount of lag as effectively forced a system built around 10-25 pops per planet into a 100-250 pops per planet without really changing anything about the pops themselves. Mind you the planetary management and the resulting complexity of the economy effectively remained the same only now instead of clicking once every 10 minutes to manage a planet you are clicking every 10 seconds to do more or less the same thing.

Same roughly applies to anything else. Influence and admin capacity are just mana bars to hinder the player in early game and irrelevant in late game. Ship customization is worthless as there is never any reason to go for anything besides all-rounders as there are never any enemies that would require a specific build(outside of maybe a crisis if you are not yet powerful enough). Exploration is entirely flaccid because there is factually nothing of value to discover outside of habitable planets. Archaeology is just a bunch of text-boxes layered on top of each other. Diplomacy is just a bribing contest and the galactic community is just an overly long timer for pacifist runs. Unity is just... well to cut it short there is not a single individual gameplay element of Stellaris that is not half-assed and unfinished.

Its the absolute absence of direction that drags Stellaris down, not code optimization. Stellaris 2 could be optimized the run on the NES and it would still be shit because of the complete lack of focus

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. GrafvonMoltke Shoutbox Purity League

GrafvonMoltke
    Codex Stellaris game when?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'd play, as long as we don't allow the AI to cheat (play above normal difficulty).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    This game can't be good as long as late game performance continues being shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    The main issue with Stellaris from the start has been the lack of any sort of context and the inevitable samey-ness of every playthrough.
    A religious death cult society is no different from a peaceful science culture, by and large, and you'll always end up picking the same ascension perks and research ideas either way.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. GrafvonMoltke Shoutbox Purity League

GrafvonMoltke
    Still a better RPG than Fallout 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    that's because factions and happiness don't work. and also because rebellions never happen. a big empire should need skyrocketing happiness or a strong military presence. at the moment (and since ever) you can piss on your population and guess what? nothing happens. and all you need is ONE troop to conquer a planet after bombardments have empited it of any enemy.
    just true rebellions, with fleets, armies and stuff, and system/planetary defenses would improve the game beyond expectations.
    long story short, this shitshow is because of multiplayer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    And multilayer is a shit show, because cheating AI getting farmed becomes the only viable strategy.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Are there any mods that reduce influence gain or otherwise slow down grabbing turf? I find the exploration phase to be the nicest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Ravielsk Scholar

Ravielsk
    None, that I know of but here: https://files.catbox.moe/9urmub.txt

I just increased the cost of expansion to 250. Not sure how that will affect the AI but it could slow it down a little. Just put it into "*game location*\Stellaris\common\defines" and it should work on new game.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    this may be a dumb question since I have not played it much, so there could be an obvious reason why this would not work. I do have the game like I said, but have played it maybe 5 hours. Could you make habitable planets rare and slow down the tech tree advancements or some combination of things like that?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. what am i doing Arcane

what am i doing
    I think part of the problem is also that it's a little too easy to claim territory overall, but certainly Stellaris does play better when you lower the number of habitable planets. By default, they feel far too abundant - personally, I like the idea of habitable planets being rare and something to be fought over due to their scarcity.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    There's a setting for how rare or frequent habitable planets are.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    It's about territory specifically, not only planets. In fact, I wouldn't mind* frequent planets that you need to take your sweet time to claim.

*the other problem with that is the game poorly supports such settings - the more you have, the more you have to micromanage.

This should be exactly what I need. Thanks! If it's not a bother, is there a way to boost starting influence to 900, then? Didn't see anything like starting resources in that file. I'd like to be able to grab 3-4 systems easily and then slow down for exploration.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    open console
    influence x

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    - Be me, playing a nice game.
    - Its 2400
    - Great Khan is a joke I kept bottled up to keep some aliens from taking the FREE REAL STATE, got killed by Concunbine and then I turned the resulting sucessor into my vassals.
    - Annexed some vassal, in process of annexing another.
    - Everything alright, my sprawl for once is less than capacity
    - Got advanced genetic traits
    - Getting into repeatables territory
    - Thanks to Great Khan, just nabbed four planets of a neighbooring empire after he wrecked them.
    - Everything is going alright.
    - The plan is once I finish incorporating my vassals, to go south and take over a big but weak civilization as vassals.
    - SURPRISE UNBIDDEN, BITCH

- Its ok, they're far and I got a science ship playing lookout.
    - The Plan is simple: Bunch up around 100-200k of fleet power I got (average fleet power: 25k something) and kill some weaker Unbidden fleets until I am ready for prime-time.
    - Nevermind that, they're close to L-Gates
    - FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK
    - I CONTROL TERMINAL EGRESS
    - 400k fleet power of pure Unbidden doom shows up and destroys Terminal Egress and one of my fleets, totally ruining my plan to bait the Unbidden into a Fortress of Doom with all my fleets at once.

Holy shit. I can't see how I will be able to compete with that much bullshit firepower. I got a nice wealthy economy, but damn.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.