Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This could actually be some serious incoming incline.

Let me explain.

I don't mean the game itself is incline, but the fact that another studio is using a Paradox engine/game for their own title. Something in this vein was attempted before but had few successes (Darkest Hour) and many failures (East vs West, Magna Mundi). I don't care much for Stellaris, but if another studio managed to get their hands on CK3 or HOI4 I'd be quite intrigued. If this is the sign of a coming trend and we get at least one good title that surpasses the original then I'd be more than happy.
Its kinda in-house, but gimme an Age of Wonders GSG using CKIII as a base after several mechanical improvements.
Imagine playing the time period of the OG Age of Wonders on a huge CKIII-esque map.

First appearance of humans is by 962 LIR, start of AOW main campaign is 1216 LIR. AOWSM ended in 382 QJR. Hmmm, a 636 year timeline. Not dissimlar from the span of the CKII campaign. Let's see if we can fit AOW3 in. Hmm... YC 1 = 395 QJR, so +13. AOWIII starts in 225 YC, so a 928 year timeline. Depending on where AOW4 is in the timeline, might be able to fit it in a 1000 year timeline. Bit long for a Grand Campaign, but alright, it works.
God I hope not. AoW4 which is the one they'd use as the base with CK3 is extremely Paradoxic and lame. Boring stupid balanced modifiers instead of wild and wooly unbalanced magical of the kind that very early fantasy 4X games and Dominions 3 have.

Caim

Arcane
Base game's cheap now, are there any DLCs that are worth it at all even with the current discount prices? Or should I not bother with them anyway?

Riel

Arcane
The base game is shallow and narrow, with DLCs it's still shallow but at least you have plenty options to experience.

This game offers a great discover value, it is very atmospheric and the early and mid game are fun, late game is a chore. To this date I have played stellaris over the years many times, not asingle time I played to the "win screen". My games en in mid game or early alte game. Only once I defeated an end game crisis, I simply quit to early to trigger them. I like the discovery phase and the initial conflict with regular empires, but once I become an star power the game losses its appeal.

thesecret1

Arcane
This game offers a great discover value, it is very atmospheric and the early and mid game are fun, late game is a chore. To this date I have played stellaris over the years many times, not asingle time I played to the "win screen". My games en in mid game or early alte game. Only once I defeated an end game crisis, I simply quit to early to trigger them. I like the discovery phase and the initial conflict with regular empires, but once I become an star power the game losses its appeal.
that's because all the exploration/archeology stuff is exhausted, so no more events, and because by late game you'll have lots of planets to micromanage (which is a massive chore). Since Stellaris warfare is shit and uninteresting, and there's little to do other than war, the game loses most of it's appeal. I guess there's the galactic community stuff and megastructures in end game, but they're minor distractions at best.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Changing how "influence" works and release diplomacy from its terror would significantly improve all experience. Or finally fix AI, especially for federations and vassals, because now diplomacy is useless. Or program AI to not star war each time I build station two systems from their borders.

But writhing stories for every day of game is much easier for Paradox's nob-binary workers, I suppose.

Ravielsk

Magister
But writhing stories for every day of game is much easier for Paradox's nob-binary workers, I suppose.
If those stories were at least good or plentiful enough but most of the time they are barely a bastardised Star Trek(and not even the good kind) and there so few of them that even with event mods installed by the time I started the second game I saw about 70% of what the game has to offer.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
If those stories were at least good or plentiful enough but most of the time they are barely a bastardised Star Trek(and not even the good kind) and there so few of them that even with event mods installed by the time I started the second game I saw about 70% of what the game has to offer.

New playtrough. First event. What it could be? Gigantic Egg or Sliced Dinosaur?

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
remember when the pop and construction was based on a grid system? When u could build fortresses around the system and improve they with minefields? Those are the good times.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
remember when the pop and construction was based on a grid system?
Grid was bad. The system then didn't even support very large planetary popullations.

When u could build fortresses around the system and improve they with minefields? Those are the good times.
Yeah that one is before my time, I started playing with 2.0.
Planets doesn't support large planetary populations. It kills natural resources, and there are only so many long term renewable sources.

Creating 10 Billion population on planet that has 500 production is one thing. But if a planet with 2 Billion population has 2000 production with the same tech and birth controls. Which is better? Overpopulated dystopia, or a normal population with dreams and comforts?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
remember when the pop and construction was based on a grid system?
Grid was bad. The system then didn't even support very large planetary popullations.

When u could build fortresses around the system and improve they with minefields? Those are the good times.
Yeah that one is before my time, I started playing with 2.0.
Planets doesn't support large planetary populations. It kills natural resources, and there are only so many long term renewable sources.

Creating 10 Billion population on planet that has 500 production is one thing. But if a planet with 2 Billion population has 2000 production with the same tech and birth controls. Which is better? Overpopulated dystopia, or a normal population with dreams and comforts?
It depends on race. Some are like humans, some live in swarms and some cannot breed.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried the game out. The war/peace mechanics eventually made me quit. It's just fucking retarded. Interesting world, but being locked out from attacking other factions for 10 years for no reason other than "well, its the game mechanic" is stupid and unrealistic, and with how buggy the peace offers are (don't always get all the territories you laid claim too after conquering / colonizing), its just not worth bothering with.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I tried the game out. The war/peace mechanics eventually made me quit. It's just fucking retarded. Interesting world, but being locked out from attacking other factions for 10 years for no reason other than "well, its the game mechanic" is stupid and unrealistic, and with how buggy the peace offers are (don't always get all the territories you laid claim too after conquering / colonizing), its just not worth bothering with.
Paradox peace treaty mechanics have always been insanely simplistic and dumb. Maybe once someone makes an actually good system they'll rip it off.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846066944

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom