Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Personally, I can't believe how the fighting genre has devolved into something with very little flirtation now. In the 90's each "get in!" win moment could easily be met with another "oh shit!.." lose moment straight after, and visa versa. Now, it's usually just a combo fest.

It's a bit like watching a proper football match compared to watching a set of soccer players do street skills for a while. Things just got more boring.
My personal opinion is things started to decline once Killer Instinct was introduced with its shitty dial a combo gameplay and then Mortal Kombat aped it and retards lapped it up. These games have this ... jankiness where your guy doesn't fluidly go with your controls and things you do on your own unless you tap in whatever input it wanted, as opposed to SF2 where there may have been some links, but it was basically all organic moves, combos, and spacing.

Falksi

Arcane
Personally, I can't believe how the fighting genre has devolved into something with very little flirtation now. In the 90's each "get in!" win moment could easily be met with another "oh shit!.." lose moment straight after, and visa versa. Now, it's usually just a combo fest.

It's a bit like watching a proper football match compared to watching a set of soccer players do street skills for a while. Things just got more boring.
My personal opinion is things started to decline once Killer Instinct was introduced with its shitty dial a combo gameplay and then Mortal Kombat aped it and retards lapped it up. These games have this ... jankiness where your guy doesn't fluidly go with your controls and things you do on your own unless you tap in whatever input it wanted, as opposed to SF2 where there may have been some links, but it was basically all organic moves, combos, and spacing.

Spot on, perfect summary. Killer Instinct was proper fucking shite too.

1999 and the early 2000s still had great 2D fighting games. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike and Garou: Mark of the Wolves both come out in ‘99. Marvel vs Capcom 2 came out in 2000, and Capcom vs SNK 2 (which is really the last Street Fighter game they put out before SF4) came out in 2001.

Killer Instinct came out in ‘94/‘95. The ‘95 console version being what most people played. There were definitely plenty of good 2D fighting games since the release of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which also came out in ‘94.

mediocrepoet

Patron
1999 and the early 2000s still had great 2D fighting games. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike and Garou: Mark of the Wolves both come out in ‘99. Marvel vs Capcom 2 came out in 2000, and Capcom vs SNK 2 (which is really the last Street Fighter game they put out before SF4) came out in 2001.

Killer Instinct came out in ‘94/‘95. The ‘95 console version being what most people played. There were definitely plenty of good 2D fighting games since the release of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which also came out in ‘94.
Yeah, I'm not saying that KI is the point where all fighters became shit, I'm saying it's what introduced shitty mechanics that started to gain in popularity and change how many/most fighters played. Like MK2 was still pretty normal and that was before KI, but by MK3, you started getting dial a combo trash and it just kept going that way to the point where all that company's fighters are like that now.

But dial-a-combo stuff was really only prevalent in the Killer Instinct series and Mortal Kombat. I’m not sure Killer Instinct really had any influence on what the Japanese developers were doing.

For the most part the Japanese seemed to completely ignore what the American developers were doing. Even sometimes to their own detriment. Like, from an aesthetic standpoint, I think Street Fighter really hurt themselves when they started dropping the blood and stuff they had in Street Fighter 2. They weren’t known for violence like Mortal Kombat was, but it was there in their biggest game, it was a cool little aspect people liked, and the violence of MK was something MK’s larger casual audience was more into than the actual gameplay of MK.

I did always find it funny that Mortal Kombat: Deception basically had (a crappy version of) Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo as an extra, and that was a selling point, but Capcom never got the bright idea of putting a new Puzzle Fighter in a fighting game as an extra.

Viata

Arcane
new Puzzle Fighter in a fighting game as an extra
Maybe they will bring things like this back. They have realized that they need to attract people who enjoy single player in fighting games. Tekken 3 had both a Volley ball-kind of mode and a simple beat'em up mode, I loved to play both of them. Unlocking characters was also another cool shit. I wonder if fighting games still have this, probably not since they can get more money by selling DLC characters.

fvabedz8k4o91.png
Street Fighter 6 will have old arcade games in it like Shenmue and Yakuza do. They were seen in the Battle Hub a while back, and my guess would be the World Tour mode will have arcade machines that can be played.

I think unlockable characters is something they kind gave up on because they listened to the competitive side of things, and the competitive scene fucking hates unlockable characters. I think a happy middle ground on unlockable characters would be unlockable costumes and a color editor. One of the dumbest things Capcom did with regard to Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite is they didn’t go in on the fan service aspect of those fan service game. Capcom came up with this whole system for MT Framework (which is the engine MvC3 uses) for Dragon’s Dogma so that game could have layered armor, and armor that fits any size of character...they should’ve used that in MvC3 for costumes. Those games should’ve had like four or five costumes for every character that could be mixed and matched so players could have there own version of characters.

mediocrepoet

Patron
But dial-a-combo stuff was really only prevalent in the Killer Instinct series and Mortal Kombat. I’m not sure Killer Instinct really had any influence on what the Japanese developers were doing.

For the most part the Japanese seemed to completely ignore what the American developers were doing. Even sometimes to their own detriment. Like, from an aesthetic standpoint, I think Street Fighter really hurt themselves when they started dropping the blood and stuff they had in Street Fighter 2. They weren’t known for violence like Mortal Kombat was, but it was there in their biggest game, it was a cool little aspect people liked, and the violence of MK was something MK’s larger casual audience was more into than the actual gameplay of MK.

I did always find it funny that Mortal Kombat: Deception basically had (a crappy version of) Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo as an extra, and that was a selling point, but Capcom never got the bright idea of putting a new Puzzle Fighter in a fighting game as an extra.
Could be, it seemed to me that it was picking up more than it may have been, but that's possibly anecdotal since I picked up that Injustice superhero fighter when it came out and was irked by the dial a combo crap I'd forgotten about.

It just struck me that the SF2 style of game was generally dying. SF3 was cool, but SF4 and 5 felt completely different and not in a good way, imo. Virtua Fighter (not SF2 style, just another fighter that I loved) died years ago. Soul Calibur's been fairly crap for ages... Guilty Gear is fun, but didn't have the same appeal to me as SF. BlazBlue, not only do I not know what's happening thematically, I don't know what the characters even are and it doesn't have the rock thing like GG to help ease that. Etc.

I'm an old man and I miss my toys, ok!? :lol:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looking at the roster, there are not nearly enough Americans. How am I supposed to feel represented here?

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Looking at the roster, there are not nearly enough Americans. How am I supposed to feel represented here?
Diversity is your strength. So, actually, your country is represented accordingly here.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Diversity is your strength. So, actually, your country is represented accordingly here.

Two white men, a black woman, and (if you consider Ken) an Asian/White man. That's not enough! We need Alex!

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

Disappointing announcement. But at least we had it.

I don´t like the Tekken like artstyle, but for now it´s better than SFIV or SFV ones, which are very ugly. I wished the return to Alpha series or third strike more stylized one, missed oportunity.

Why did they turn Ryu into a Mexican?

Alex will probably be added in a update. You can look at character usage in Street Fighter 5 and Alex is pretty consistently one of the most used characters in that game. Mostly within the top 10 most used characters in SF5. He was also in the top 30 during the popularity poll they ran back in 2017.

What’s really surprising is Rashid made the base roster of this game. Maybe someone on staff is a fan, or maybe they look at Twitter a little too much. But Rashid was 40th in that old popularity poll, and he’s one of the least used characters in SF5. Less than 2% of the online player base of SF5 have used Rashid since like the end of 2017. How much Capcom still seems to be married to this idea of having all the original eight World Warriors from Street Fighter 2 is also odd because people don’t actually give a shit like I think Capcom thinks they do. In that popularity poll, E. Honda is at 38, and Dhalsim is at 73. Dhalsim is below Retsu in that poll, and Retsu is a character from Street Fighter 1 that’s never been playable. Those two, and Blanka, are on the lower end of usage in SF5 too.

Caim

Arcane
fvabedz8k4o91.png
Street Fighter 6 will have old arcade games in it like Shenmue and Yakuza do. They were seen in the Battle Hub a while back, and my guess would be the World Tour mode will have arcade machines that can be played.

I think unlockable characters is something they kind gave up on because they listened to the competitive side of things, and the competitive scene fucking hates unlockable characters. I think a happy middle ground on unlockable characters would be unlockable costumes and a color editor. One of the dumbest things Capcom did with regard to Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite is they didn’t go in on the fan service aspect of those fan service game. Capcom came up with this whole system for MT Framework (which is the engine MvC3 uses) for Dragon’s Dogma so that game could have layered armor, and armor that fits any size of character...they should’ve used that in MvC3 for costumes. Those games should’ve had like four or five costumes for every character that could be mixed and matched so players could have there own version of characters.
Ah yes, I too will play Street Fighter 6 to play a superior Street Fighter game inside of it. Just like how I played Doom II inside of Doom Eternal.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
fvabedz8k4o91.png
The closed beta already had a Final Fight arcade. Not sure if there were others that I missed. I think you could also 2P it.
I think unlockable characters is something they kind gave up on because they listened to the competitive side of things, and the competitive scene fucking hates unlockable characters.
It wouldn't be a problem if they had a tournament mode or something where everything is unlocked.
I remember hearing that in MK9 there was a player that basically learned to speedrun the game since his main, Quan Chi, was locked behind completing the Story and he had to do it before tournaments.

Melcar

Arcane

Could be, it seemed to me that it was picking up more than it may have been, but that's possibly anecdotal since I picked up that Injustice superhero fighter when it came out and was irked by the dial a combo crap I'd forgotten about.

It just struck me that the SF2 style of game was generally dying. SF3 was cool, but SF4 and 5 felt completely different and not in a good way, imo. Virtua Fighter (not SF2 style, just another fighter that I loved) died years ago. Soul Calibur's been fairly crap for ages... Guilty Gear is fun, but didn't have the same appeal to me as SF. BlazBlue, not only do I not know what's happening thematically, I don't know what the characters even are and it doesn't have the rock thing like GG to help ease that. Etc.

I'm an old man and I miss my toys, ok!? :lol:

Dial-a-combo at the KI level never gained that much traction. I think only fucking Clay Fighters copied it, as a joke. MK3 sort of copied it, but they dialed it down (they did keep the Brutalities as a sort of joke). Most fighters back then were aping SF2 or Virtua Fighter, with some spice added. The only other "different" fighter was the Capcom vs. series of games, which to me peaked at MvC2. I really don't recall another fighter in the mainstream with the same level of dial-a-comboness as KI (in those days anyway).

I'm pretty sure most japanese people ignored Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat, even. MK's point was being "edgy" but then they realized being edgy wasn't cutting it and you needed more substance. While Japanese fighting games were more focused on high skill ceilings due to the success of arcades, which lasted much, much longer than in America or the west for that matter. There's also the thing about KI being a truly impressive game that managed to have an extremely faithful console port when nobody thought it was doable (seriously, Nintendo-centric mags would go on and on about it for months, even years). So KI was more of a tech demo and a bone thrown at people when the Project Ultra 64 was being delayed time and time again.

Viata

Arcane
As far as I know, Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2(Gold in N64) were never released in Japan. Both the arcade and console versions.

As far as I know, Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2(Gold in N64) were never released in Japan. Both the arcade and console versions.
Wiki says NA and EU releases only. However Bamco is said to be working on a new KI?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Alex will probably be added in a update. You can look at character usage in Street Fighter 5 and Alex is pretty consistently one of the most used characters in that game. Mostly within the top 10 most used characters in SF5. He was also in the top 30 during the popularity poll they ran back in 2017.

What’s really surprising is Rashid made the base roster of this game. Maybe someone on staff is a fan, or maybe they look at Twitter a little too much. But Rashid was 40th in that old popularity poll, and he’s one of the least used characters in SF5. Less than 2% of the online player base of SF5 have used Rashid since like the end of 2017. How much Capcom still seems to be married to this idea of having all the original eight World Warriors from Street Fighter 2 is also odd because people don’t actually give a shit like I think Capcom thinks they do. In that popularity poll, E. Honda is at 38, and Dhalsim is at 73. Dhalsim is below Retsu in that poll, and Retsu is a character from Street Fighter 1 that’s never been playable. Those two, and Blanka, are on the lower end of usage in SF5 too.

It's weird that this is the first game to take place after SF3 chronologically, but there aren't any SF3 characters in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom