Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Saduj

Arcane
Don't forget '>muh sacrifice'.

I had the soldier with me so that wasn't even a big deal. Pretty much doing him a favor. Would have hurt if the game were going to continue.

What I would have done is not mention the 2nd sacrifice at first. And the whole book thing was bullshit to lure you into the Witch's House. When you get to the last area, Dismal Man brags about tricking you into trapping yourself in another dimension by solving stupid puzzles. Make it so player can use skills to somehow find out that using the dagger for a bigger sacrifice will open a portal back to Arkham. End up back where you started with sliver of hope being that you're the first part of the Dismal Man's plan that didn't go his way. Minimal changes with an opening to another chapter if they could manage one. And they could always replace the book with something else if they really wanted to have the next chapter be about going through hell to get the mcguffin.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Judging from the number of reviews, their sales couldn't have been THAT bad?
Got themselves to blame for the ratings, though.

But yeah, I agree the update does sound rather defeatist. Not sure if that is accidental or accurate, though.
Might just be a "non-native not getting how this sounds" kind of thing.

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Here we present our very first Prologue Comic which explains how the Investigator Archetype first encountered the darker side of our existence while also meeting the Dismal Man.
Kickstarter page promised this to be actual, playable game content for each archetype, not a series of comics.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/description
Each Archetype will begin the game with a different Prologue which connects the character to the main storyline.
Apparently they had and still have enough time and resources to make a bunch of LARP videos, a children's book and now a series of comics, but not enough to work on the in fact unfinished game?
Well, they were a bunch of poor artists who had never seen any real money and treated the ks as an art grant with no bell and whistle. That they could actually deliver is a wishful thinking from the start.
It is likely they are real table top larpers, the book has been half completed and left on the side for god-knows-how-long and the comics are half finished promo materials that are way past due.
I mean, they put a short animated film with rotoscoping in game, and likely experiment with more stuffs behind the scene. An earlier update implies they travelled for references and inspirations.

Game that would have benefited by not implementing combat system of any kind and shifting those resources into more story content. It's fine to not be able to fight Eldritch horrors that drive you mad when you look at them. Wasted potential: The game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Meanwhile, Chtulhu saves the world, made with RPGMaker has 3 times their review number, meaning their fanbase was there, had they delivered a good engine, they probably could have multiply their sales by a factor of 5/10 ...

I'm glad i dodged this one.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Game that would have benefited by not implementing combat system of any kind and shifting those resources into more story content. It's fine to not be able to fight Eldritch horrors that drive you mad when you look at them. Wasted potential: The game.
Go play Call of Cthulhu The Official Video Game if you want that.

Meanwhile, Chtulhu saves the world, made with RPGMaker has 3 times their review number, meaning their fanbase was there, had they delivered a good engine, they probably could have sold it 5 / 10 times more.

That's a meme game and it's also free.

Edit: I made a mistake, it's not free, but it's also $.44-3, so practically.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Why would anyone want new Lovecraft game after Dark Corners Of Earth which I unironically consider a masteripece.

552_3.jpg

Meanwhile, Chtulhu saves the world, made with RPGMaker has 3 times their review number, meaning their fanbase was there, had they delivered a good engine, they probably could have sold it 5 / 10 times more.

That's a meme game and it's also free.
Call of Cthulhu is a completely different game with a different genre, perspective, gameplay, artstyle and budget. At least play the game, before suggesting it as an alternative.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Game that would have benefited by not implementing combat system of any kind
Call of Cthulhu is a completely different game with a different genre, perspective, gameplay, artstyle and budget. At least play the game, before suggesting it as an alternative.
it's an example of a non-game without combat, just as you've said.

It has combat and stealth.

Wunderbar

Arcane
halfassed combat and heavily scripted stealth, only during a single mission.

halfassed combat and heavily scripted stealth, only during a single mission.
Are we talking about Stygian or Call of Cthulhu? Doesn't matter actually, they both would be better without combat systems.

GandGolf

Augur

Why would anyone want new Lovecraft game after Dark Corners Of Earth which I unironically consider a masteripece.

The combat bits were too much for me and I had to use a trainer to finish the game. Unfortunately I got the bad ending. Still it was an entertaining game and from what I recall I got it at a discount.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cthulhu saves the world was also released on Steam in 2011, at a time when Steam wasn't accepting nearly any game that was uploaded; for reference there was 280 games released on Steam in 2011, compared to 8200 last year. If Stygian had been released around the same time frame, it would have had much bigger sales, just with the increased exposure.

chuft

Augur
So I am getting the impression this game is not worth $30.

Is it worth a lot less on sale? Or is it just a total waste of time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom