Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Pathfinder: Wrath
More fun and games. Despite the ease with which some cheese their characters with things like training modules and personal "stash modules" which can duplicate loot using an exploit, some are apparently now getting 'VAC' bans:

It feels like if they had forgot this final wrong decision. Now SCL feels complete.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
How is this for storyfags? Decent writing? Characters?

Don't mind lackluster Dragon-agey combat if it's functionally implemented, but I can't abide boring narrative.

If I want to be a DM I'll just go dust off my 3rd edition stuff and call other lifeless losers. It's not like they'll have any plans.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

If you liked the NWN OC, you'll like SCL.

More fun and games. Despite the ease with which some cheese their characters with things like training modules and personal "stash modules" which can duplicate loot using an exploit, some are apparently now getting 'VAC' bans:

Their biggest mistake so far imho.

sstacks

Arcane

So far the story feels like the sort of fantasy novel you read occasionally that isn't breaking new ground but is sort of comfortably enjoyable for that reason (if that makes sense).

Character wise the one I liked the most suffered a horrible death in the opening act.

sstacks

Arcane

Based on Twitch Q&As I sat in on while covering SCL for my site, I think the reason they have done this is because you can carry characters and their equipment between different games and DM modes, so they don't want twinked out players from one game throwing things off in another. They've been pretty hardcore on how loot is handled after one of the things people asked for a lot was the ability to specify what loot drops.

PSA: Sharing reasoning does not mean I agree or disagree with a decision, it is merely sharing information for a fuller discussion. I have a family to provide for, please keep phasers on stun.

Weasel
Thing is, it wasn't implemented until earlier today. So whatever one thinks of the reasoning behind it, suddenly implementing it without any announcement is another example of poor communication imo as some people avoid games with VAC.

This kills the nascent modding attempts too, even little cosmetic mods for people who were attempting that stuff,

sstacks

Arcane
Thing is, it wasn't implemented until earlier today. So whatever one thinks of the reasoning behind it, suddenly implementing it without any announcement is another example of poor communication imo as some people avoid games with VAC.

So yeah, it surprises me because when cheating came up in Twitch Q&As n-Space was like, we know it will happen not much we can do about it.

My guess is they have seen something happen since launch they want to crack down on.

Weasel
So yeah, it surprises me because when cheating came up in Twitch Q&As n-Space was like, we know it will happen not much we can do about it.

My guess is they have seen something happen since launch they want to crack down on.

I think one guy messed with his character stats without going through training modules. But now would be modders have been scared off:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/325600/discussions/0/483368526576958104/

That's the thing with them offering a game that some will play online with strangers (and everything scales so apparently someone joining with hacked stats affects everyone playing that module). So now they're implementing stuff like VAC usually aimed at competitive multiplayer but it also affects those wanting to play on their own or with friends and those wanting to mod their games. Meanwhile many of those who were using "training modules" are deleting characters / reinstalling / etc as rumours of VAC bans spread with no word from NS to clarify the situation. Strange.

sstacks

Arcane
Games like this tend to flourish with open modding, so hopefully it will work out in the end.

Space Insect

Arcane
I find it hillarious that the devs decided that modding is terrible. D&D games seem to have survived becuase of their modding communities. NWN probably would have been as forgettable as this without the editor and the modding community.

Mustawd

What boggles the mind is that this sounds extremely similar to what happened with Diablo II. And it seems these guys never even thought it was in the realm of possibilities. :retarded:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Based on Twitch Q&As I sat in on while covering SCL for my site, I think the reason they have done this is because you can carry characters and their equipment between different games and DM modes, so they don't want twinked out players from one game throwing things off in another. They've been pretty hardcore on how loot is handled after one of the things people asked for a lot was the ability to specify what loot drops.

PSA: Sharing reasoning does not mean I agree or disagree with a decision, it is merely sharing information for a fuller discussion. I have a family to provide for, please keep phasers on stun.

Yes, and my first thought on their reasoning was something along the line: Good luck with that.

They should have considered the Torchlight approach of self-policing multiplayer.

Delterius

Arcane

Custom content that keeps players from paying for them sweet beholder packs.

ArchAngel

Arcane

So what stops players from creating a module that has one room with no monsters and 200 chests? Players enter, open them all, basically get all possible items and pick what they want. Since everything is level scaled probably chests are as well.

Mustawd

New concepts for SCL T shirts, compliments from the butthurt on their forums:

ag1pOfz.png

STlpxQ2.png

Image of back not available to avoid spoilers!

I like the second one best myself.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If you liked the NWN OC, you'll like SCL."

FUCK OFF.

As fo the banning of 'cheaters'.. that's fukkin' stupid and ignorant. NWN didn't do this and the game/MP/toolset/etc. didn't magically fall a aprt because people had the 'gall' to level up their characters and give themselevs phatlewt. HOLY FUCK. There ere even modules that were nothing but auto levlers and they were praised not banned. They were useful for when you wanted to playa certain mod that needed a high level character.

They don't get DnD at all. I've played pnp games where we started at higher than level one and were given loot by the DM.

HOLY FUCK! WORSE. THAN. POR2.

\Again, I have to stress enough, I'm glad in a way this is Steam only as it limits the chance of me getting suckered into playing full price for this shit game made by people who know absolutely nothing about DnD - spirit or otherwise.

FUCK YEAHHH! POR2 FOREVA!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Eh.. BIO never did and they did just fine with BG (whaetver issues it had aside it was clearly a D&D game). The sad part is this game was made by ex BIO devs so you would think they would know how DnD is supposed work.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Interplay had the D&D licence, not Bioware and Interplay had RPGs under its belt at that point already."
\
And, they turned around and gave a no name no experience company created by fukkin' doctors to make a DnD game using a fukkin' engine made for RTS. And, let's not forget that Interplay had that time had onyl made shit DnD games that were EPIC FAIL and that's why were desperate and needed a a Dnd hit badly.

Unlike these fukkin' SCL jokers. MORANS.

And, again, SCL was/is made by ex BIo devs so whining about 'lack fo experience' is bullshitz. These aren't a bunch of newbies. Just a bunch of lazy losers.

Weasel
A rather amusing opinion I came across:

Sword Coast Legends is a poorly made roguelike game with co-op. There's plenty of roguelike games that cover what SCL does. The biggest innovation it brings to the PC table is that customizing your game experience beyond the narrow set of allowed rules will get you VAC banned.

pippin

Roguelike, metroidvania and "former x devs" must be at the top of the "let's see how bad this is" checklist.

Anyone using the word "roguelike" without having ever actually played Rogue deserves to have their internet privileges revoked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom