Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I hope they get Terry Brosious for Shodan and Eric for SFX magic on board.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Doubt anybody sold anything. License deal.

But I get what you mean. Think an AAA would have ponied up for this? Don't be so sure, they didn't pony up for plenty of other things when they had the chance.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    th.jpg

OH, PLEASE BE GOOD... OH, PLEASE BE GOOD... OH, PLEASE BE GOOD....

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  4. hajro Savant

hajro
    The only who would maybe do it is Bethesda to beef up arkanes b studios prey2/SS spiritual successor w/e the fuck it is with the name.

^ Top  
  5. Cassar Learned

Cassar
    [​IMG]

Hope it won't try to catter to consoles

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    :shredder:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Looks like another trip to Boston is in the future of this East Coast Roaming Repoter. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  8. Ludo Lense Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Bleah 0 faith since they are bringing back SHODAN which means it will probably be a sucky nostalgia fest. While cool, her return in SS 2 was already pretty dumb.

I don't want her to turn into Dracula from Castlevania.

^ Top  
  9. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    fuck this shit and fuck you for making me aware of it

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Scrooge Female Quota Staff Patron

Scrooge
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You mean like that time when D.W. Bradley created another oldschool RPG and what the world got was... Dungeon Lords? :troll: ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    I can't help but get excited by this. Both System Shocks remain at the top of my greatest all time list and if anyone is to make another it HAS TO BE the old Looking Glass team.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    What if Shodan being back is ruse and when you start game you will be whole game seeking her and game will finally tell you she is not in game and all of things you saw were your PTSD and you were the one actually fucking up system killing people chasing ghosts and player in the end will commit suecide ?

:martini:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The immediate problem with bringing back SHODAN is finding a way out of that stupid Rebecca Siddons endgame reveal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. tormund Arcane

tormund
    This is what is making me doubtful too. Forcing a direct sequel and somehow finding a way to have SHODAN as villain again is p lame and reeks of nostalgia manipulation... I would be far more excited for a sequel with similar environments and design but nothing more that nods towards SHODAN and story of previous games.

^ Top  
  15. Blowhard Arbiter

Blowhard
    Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but given the current climate this is basically guaranteed to be streamlined trash. But here's hoping.

Like LyricSuite I've been through this process too many times for this to even elevate my pulse above "cynicism-induced-comatose" for even a nanosecond. It's tragic that my eyes can just glaze over this and not really produce any strong emotions in me. System Shock is one of my favorite franchises. I guess it just goes to show, in addition to generally being blatant tasteless whores and churning out games so similar it sometimes feels like I'm stuck in a nightmarish time loop, the video game industry has killed a large portion of my lust for life by making my main hobby seem endlessly repetitious. Maybe the real game is that this is all some elaborate torture simulator I've found myself in. I'd give it a 10/10 if so.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Multiplayer go-kart battle arena game for Wii U

^ Top  
  17. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    We can only wish, that would have a chance of being fun.

^ Top  
  18. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Ken Levine not being involved is a plus. De-Levine it as much as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  19. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Charlie Sheen brofists this.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. janior Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Feels like Christmas :bounce:

^ Top  
  21. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    it will be shit

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  22. Ludo Lense Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Too edgy for mainstream or nostalgia.

The plot will be something like:

BLAH BLAH BLAH ship wreckage found BLAH BLAH BLAH Shodan is reconstructed since this is horror sci-fi and people's intelligence drops dramatically BLAH BLAH BLAH you are in stasis because you are another experiment or something like that BLAH BLAH BLAH Repeat the previous 2 game's setting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    A dynamic scenario involving both Siddons/Shodan and her new "hacker" free agent Thomas Suarez could very well be a step up in this series (after all, the latter was the other successful heroic figure of the game besides the PC).
    That way you'd have to beat the machine and a mirror-image of yourself (another virus inside the machine), with a more open plot and potentially unpredictable results...

Also SS3 needs to be the end of Shodan, one way or another : every time a vilain comes back, it becomes more of a joke...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    ^ Top  
  24. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    There are idiots, in this thread, right now, who believe this won't be crap.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  25. Lord Azlan Arcane Patron Shitposter

Lord Azlan
    Excellent development. I am going to sign up to the mailing list.

SS2 is the finest example of ARPG or whatever you call it - beats everything else hands down.

Even Bethesda a hundred years later in Fallout 4 could not do listening to tapes better.

Only worry - let's not have it on consoles.

SS3 will be SUPREME.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.