Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls TES Skyrim: A quick 20 hour restrospective

How many times have you purchased Skyrim?

• Total voters

Harthwain

Magister
Yes, with the benefit of eleven years of Skyrim reviews and analysis videos to pull from.
Except he plays games he reviews. In case of The Elder Scrolls even more than once, to make sure he knows what he's talking about. He does bring up some reviews and analysis videos in his retrospectives (at least in Skyrim), but mostly to contrast with his points, which end up being very different (sometimes completely opposite). So I am not sure what you're trying to say here.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Patrician makes points about Skyrim that I've never heard before, like how mages were ruined by misguided attempts at "balancing" - most Skyrim reviews ignore magic entirely. There are also several points where he goes out of his way to rebut popular false criticisms of the game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So I am not sure what you're trying to say here.

I'm saying his video uses its impressive runtime to obscure the fact that it brings nothing new to the table. Possibly as a result of spending nearly 100 hours researching other people's content.
Several times in the video the narrator states something along the lines of "i watched all the other Skyrim esseys, and im surprised nobody talked about this" and goes on to talk about that. In fact, the format is specifically geared around reviewing not just the game, but the other video essays on the game.
Obviously everything has already been said somewhere, by someone, in a thread here or on 4chan or whatever. But not all of this video's remarks can be found in video critiques, and not at the same place at any rate.

Harthwain

Magister
I'm saying his video uses its impressive runtime to obscure the fact that it brings nothing new to the table. Possibly as a result of spending nearly 100 hours researching other people's content.
I disagree with the runtime being an attempt to obscure something. If anything I do think it is meant to be comprehensive, since he writes everything from start to end. I would concede that making super long video is a way for him to promote himself (hence the name of the channel - PatricianTV). He also has PlebTV channel (for super short stuff, I think).

Silverfish

Arbiter
Several times in the video the narrator states something along the lines of "i watched all the other Skyrim esseys, and im surprised nobody talked about this" and goes on to talk about that.

The only time I saw that was during the discussion of magic being underwhelming. Which is funny as well, since if you go beyond the world of review / analysis videos, the Skyrim character builds channels have been hip to that for several years.

MWaser

Arbiter
brevity is quality
you don't need 20 hours to talk about skyrim, and the shorter you talk about something while making a valid point, the better.
I could make a 20 hour video about Skyrim just reading posts from this forum by the fanboys and the reasonable people and call it a "review" that's "presenting different opinions"
What a waste of time.

Butter

Arcane
Everyone who says "You don't need x amount of time for this" never bothers to point out parts of the video that could be condensed, and never argues what the "correct" length of such a video would be.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Everyone who says "You don't need x amount of time for this" never bothers to point out parts of the video that could be condensed, and never argues what the "correct" length of such a video would be.

The full recaps of the major questlines could be cut down, just do a CliffsNotes summary and then dig into any specific issues. The "magic is so underpowered" segment could go altogether, as it's built on a bad premise, wanting different characters to have the same experience. The intro runs too long and, funny enough, even takes time to shill for the validity of needlessly long videos. The references to other reviews and analysis videos could be cut, why am I watching your video to see someone else's POV? These are just off the top of my head, mind you, I haven't looked at the review since it was first uploaded.

So far as the "correct" length for a video like this? Emptyhero reviewed Skyrim a few years ago and managed to break down the main questline, the guilds and dlc, all while making room for his normal jokes and references as well as a running gag that spans the entire video and still clocked in at a little over forty minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom