Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The appeal of Skyrim

Do you like Skyrim?

• Yes, one of the best games ever made

• Yes, it was alright, but i got bored with it.

• Meh, not my type of RPG

• It was a bad RPG, didn't like it

• I am a sperg, i don't consider Skyrim to be an RPG, you fucking popamoler

Results are only viewable after voting.

user

Savant
A new appeal of Skyrim may be the "Skyrim Together" mod. A mod which allegedly allows to play the whole game together with up to 8 friends (and seems to be close to beta release). Perfect for a soulless game with soulless quests, and where everything in the gameworld is modularly isolated from each other. That's probably the only way to get some enjoyment out of the game. A shame that Bethesda did not implement this themselves.

Inventories and containers aren't synchronized though. So when you enter a dungeon, and there's money or items there, everyone gets to loot it. The contents of the chest exists only on the client, not the server. This means no unique loot, everyone has everything, and you can imagine the balance which is already on the faceroll side going even worse.

That will be great for the people who will want to play Skyrim with that mod. Everyone will get their loot, none will be sad and butthurt!

huskarls

Scholar
I liked the cool music when I was walking around looking at the deer and nordic lakes, then a dragon might swoop down and the cooler battle music would play. There was also the underground area and the tavern song

anyway the game is not good because it is impossible to lose, and was lacking in the codex approved vn fluff like storyfaggotry, writing, waifus, cc, voice acting. Perfectly fine baby sitter like morrowind, even incline among children's game compared to shit like mario party. Nothing even wrong with a grown man putting down 50 hours on it to get some strange

however nowadays I pretty much drop any rpg I'm mindlessly dominating unless there's some serious tits in my point and click power fantasy, like witcher. The dice game and dirty peasants were pretty cool too

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Honestly, Skyrim's story or combat weren't its strong points for me, but the amount of details in the world. In one playthrough I didn't use fast travel whatsoever and I got surprised how many details and distraction the game has. For me, it's a game more for mindlessly walking and jumping around with occasional bandit/vampire attacks, rather than a heavy RPG.

RickOmbo

Learned
Kinda like how vampires and werewolves are implemented in the game. Shame there are no good questlines around them, but hey, that's the appeal of Skyrim.

Beastro

Arcane
In one playthrough I didn't use fast travel whatsoever and I got surprised how many details and distraction the game has. For me, it's a game more for mindlessly walking and jumping around with occasional bandit/vampire attacks, rather than a heavy RPG.

That's a bit of a depressing thing for me when I played it at release. Made me fell bad for the poor guys who put all that in realizing only a fraction of the players wouldn't use fast travel and made me wish for more smaller quests and events scattered around instead of the typical route ones put in.

Reminds me of a relatives wife who'd always go the extra mile to make dinner wonderful for her family, then when it came she'd put out cheesy bread and sit back letting her kids fill up on it barely touching their plates. Worse was afterwards she'd dump it all in the garburator and not save it for leftovers. Smacked of total self-sabotage to me.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
its not even close to being anywhere near as good as redditards make it out to be.

Its also nowhere near as bad as pretentious fags on the codex make it out to be to try to fit in.

Its fun when you're fucking around in the wilderness and looting dungeons and what not, hardcore mods can make that aspect a lot more engaging. What mods cant fix, is your eventual encounters with the subpar writing and worldbuilding. Its very hard to care about anything. Someone on here once said it was best treated as "GTA with swords and shields" or something to that effect and I think thats a good very good attitude to have. If you go in expecting a deeply engrossing RPG you're just setting it up for failure.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
anyway the game is not good because it is impossible to lose, and was lacking in the codex approved vn fluff like storyfaggotry, writing, waifus, cc, voice acting. Perfectly fine baby sitter like morrowind, even incline among children's game compared to shit like mario party. Nothing even wrong with a grown man putting down 50 hours on it to get some strange

I dont know if you intended this or not, but your framing in this paragraph makes it sound like you fuck kids.

Yosharian

Arcane

I dont know if you intended this or not, but your framing in this paragraph makes it sound like you fuck kids.
26424.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

Its very hard to care about anything.

I never understand this criticism for games. Whether you care about anything depends on YOU, how much you are immersed by the game and into the experience, not the game. IMO Skyrim did a great job of having me care about things, at least as far as a game can, because it was very detailed and had a lot of lore and things to find. If you didn't care about it that says more about your mindset and less about the game.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
But why have strong preferences when you can enjoy a multitude of experiences? I will enjoy a delicious gourmet meal and a fine wine one day, and then gorge myself on pig shit another day. There's enough room in our stomachs and intestines to eat multiple types of nutrients and still enjoy them. I like a wider variety sometimes, even if my favorites are the foods that are not piles of shit. I still appreciate fecal matter for what it is and what it does. Different strokes I guess.

yeah man totally, i mean to each their own!

Falksi

Arcane

I never understand this criticism for games. Whether you care about anything depends on YOU, how much you are immersed by the game and into the experience, not the game. IMO Skyrim did a great job of having me care about things, at least as far as a game can, because it was very detailed and had a lot of lore and things to find. If you didn't care about it that says more about your mindset and less about the game.

I care, because the public reaction & reception to games influences what games are released in future.

Skyrim isn't a bad game IMO. It's not a particularly good one either & is shallow as a puddle, but I can see why folk like it. I've enjoyed about 20 hours of it myself. But there's no doubting that it has been an absolute curse on gaming. Ever since all the fuckwits started spunking over it, we've seen the growth of "Open World" gaming seep into & decimate what could have been far better RPGs.

TW3 had absolutely no need for such a vast, pointless, empty open world to bog down your journey. Whilst the Dragon Age series isn't to some people's taste, Origins provided a great foundation for bringing CRPGs to the masses, but instead in a shit attempt to cash in on the Skyrim dollar it went open world with Inquisition, and delivered an awful experience. Kingdom's of Amalur:Reckoning, a brilliant setting backed with good combat & a good, well told story, all bogged down beneth this terrible nothing of an empty world chaisng the Skyrim buck. Etc.

What we allow is what we get. It's every Dexer's duty to help stop Johnny Mongol ruining games further.

Deleted Member 16721

It's not Skyrim's fault though, it's short-sighted developers thinking they can copy what Bethesda does. Skyrim itself is good, the open world there is better than any other open world of modern releases (at least ones I've played, can't comment on all of them.) It's devs trying to cash in that's the problem.

Falksi

Arcane
It's not Skyrim's fault though, it's short-sighted developers thinking they can copy what Bethesda does. Skyrim itself is good, the open world there is better than any other open world of modern releases (at least ones I've played, can't comment on all of them.) It's devs trying to cash in that's the problem.

Who's saying it is? Who's fault it is doesn't matter. Ultimately the falsehood of "great open world gaming" is a lie which needs to be eradicated to stop it rolling on for years into more games.

Deleted Member 16721

The "deep as a puddle" meme needs to die, too. If Skyrim is deep as a puddle than what huge open-world is deeper? New Vegas you could say but both approach things differently. Skryim still has plenty of depth in the world building, lore, small details department and so on that make it interesting. By that metric all games could be viewed as deep as a puddle because they're just games.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Of course it depends on the game to make you care. If you dont care about that 16th magical weapon youve already looted in one hour playtime, its because the game fails to grip you with its loot system. If you drop the 4th dragon in an hour and you just shrug because the fight was completely devoid of challenge and you now are more bothered because you have to make inventory space for dragon bones, then the encounter design of the game simply failed to make you care. If you get the next fetch quest with minor lore background presented by shallow npc numbe4 643 and you click away the dialogue because you just cant be arsed to read it, then the dialogue/story failed to make you care.

Yes, sometimes you're just not in the mood for a certain type of game and no, that doesnt mean the game is always at fault when you dont have fun. But if a game that is so largely praised by the mainstream gets so much criticism on a forum with the most devoted rpg enthusiasts, then you can say for sure that its design is not flawless.

Skyrim really has some qualities, ill admit that. The problem is that those good bits are covered by so many shallow elements that you end up digging for fun 80% of the time rather than having fun itself.

Last edited:
The "deep as a puddle" meme needs to die, too. If Skyrim is deep as a puddle than what huge open-world is deeper?

Witcher 3 - way deeper in the writing/lore department.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - way deeper in systems, combat, writing, NPC behavior, etc.

ELEX - way deeper in exploration, quest C&C and depth.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - way deeper in mechanics, world interaction, gameplay, combat, charm, atmosphere, etc.

New Vegas - way deeper in RPG mechanics, writing, C&C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom