Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And then she dies in the very first trap you encounter after you free her. The only (I think) trap in the whole game which will always kill you. Coincidence?

I'm not saying you don't know this, but just for general knowledge: wasn't that considered a large mechanical trap that the manual and description of traps specifies you can't spot?. I always thought BG2 was a bit in decline from BG1 in that area, as in Durlag's Tower we had the ghasts triggering the fireball traps, and there was an essentially identical mechanical trap in the corridor behinf the throne room. I suppose they took that feature out due to preventing player frustration.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a question regarding one of the side quests in BG1. The Kozah one. This quest has always bothered me with its lore inconsistency, or at least I think it's an inconsistency and that's where my question comes from. Is Kozah an actual god or some kind of demon, because it's unlike any of the other gods in the lore? It seems random and made-up in general.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have a question regarding one of the side quests in BG1. The Kozah one. This quest has always bothered me with its lore inconsistency, or at least I think it's an inconsistency and that's where my question comes from. Is Kozah an actual god or some kind of demon, because it's unlike any of the other gods in the lore? It seems random and made-up in general.
Kozah is the Bedine name for Talos

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How? She's the focal point of the entire... of most the story. She can't be killed. She's the key to all of this, because she's a more interesting character than we've ever had.

Have fun spending 15 thou or whatever out of pocket just to bail her essential ass out. :salute:

I don't think everyone knows all the RLM memes/jokes. You need to be a bit more mainstream with your sarcasm. :)

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I’m using custom companions, maybe on a second playthrough I’ll use normal companions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The evil companions are very powerful. Edwin is the best mage in the game bar none, even a Conjurer PC can't be more powerful because of that amulet of his. Viconia has 50% magic resistance and 19 DEX, Kagain has illegal Constitution, Shar-teel is an excellent dual-class Fighter/Thief, etc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah. I was mostly commenting about custom companions, since evil ones are so powerful, you don't actually need custom ones unless you want them to be different classes.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Yeah. I was mostly commenting about custom companions, since evil ones are so powerful, you don't actually need custom ones unless you want them to be different classes.
If they are that good I’ll take them over my custom companions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They are, yeah. Minsc might have more STR than Shar-teel, but she can be dualed to Thief. Coran is the only good companion who is indisputably better than his evil counterparts. Imoen is a special case, her alignment bears no significance, she will never leave your party no matter what, and she's good when dualed to Mage.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
They are, yeah. Minsc might have more STR than Shar-teel, but she can be dualed to Thief. Coran is the only good companion who is indisputably better than his evil counterparts. Imoen is a special case, her alignment bears no significance, she will never leave your party no matter what, and she's good when dualed to Mage.
Imoen was already dueled to mage when I got her.

Codex Year of the Donut
Now I remember why I hate high level D&D adventures, memorizing 30 different immunities and which spell removes what spell immunity and which immunity is susceptible to regular dispel and which requires specific dispels but is immune to specific dispels below certain spell levels is beyond retarded. And the moment you can actually damage something they just contingency all their defenses back.
:argh:

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"SHE'S THE FOCAL POINT FO ALMOST THE WHOLE STORY."

No, she isn't. Irenicus is. HOLY FUKK.

Codex Year of the Donut
Kill a group of drow, barely alive and most spells spent
still have truesight on
look at my feedback log and see multiple Mindflayer illusions dispelled
:shredder:

Codex Year of the Donut
This is what the opener of a spell caster in BG2 with SCS looks like on Insanity difficulty, I wish the feedback had timestamps but it all happens simultaneously :lol:
LmESHYo.png

My party has already collectively taken about 200 damage and I paused instantly.
Realistically playing this without Keldorn or an Inquisitor PC would be a nightmare.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is what the opener of a spell caster in BG2 with SCS looks like on Insanity difficulty, I wish the feedback had timestamps but it all happens simultaneously :lol:
LmESHYo.png

My party has already collectively taken about 200 damage and I paused instantly.
Realistically playing this without Keldorn or an Inquisitor PC would be a nightmare.

Anyone know what the official rules state about the Cloak of Non-Detection? I was always thinking about sneak or invisibility while wearing that cloak with a suitably high level cleric/thief and turn undead - but I suppose that was always considered cheese. I don't think it worked in vanilla or modded.

Also: Does SCS allow mages to bypass scrolls of magic protection?. My recent playthrough with the Drizzt Saga did, and I wasn't impressed. I blame Lilura for not mentioning it in her review.

Codex Year of the Donut
LmESHYo.png

Anyone know what the official rules state about the Cloak of Non-Detection? I was always thinking about sneak or invisibility while wearing that cloak with a suitably high level cleric/thief and turn undead - but I suppose that was always considered cheese. I don't think it worked in vanilla or modded.

Also: Does SCS allow mages to bypass scrolls of magic protection?. My recent playthrough with the Drizzt Saga did, and I wasn't impressed. I blame Lilura for not mentioning it in her review.
Cloak of Non-Detection is weird, some monsters definitely still detect me. Maybe I'm just unaware of some arcane rules that allow things to actually detect you with it on?
It mostly seems to be some ghosts. Also, I think if monsters with dispel hear you they'll cast dispel in your general direction...
Unsure about scrolls of magic protection, in BG1 I was loaded with them but I've only found a handful so far in BG2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom