Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The most exciting thing about BG3 is that it's not developed by Trent Shyster and Beamdog.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I'd never read lilura's blog before but I took a look at the BG1 mod page: https://lilura1.blogspot.com/p/bg-mods.html

Some further notes on BG1 mods:

some components of CoMForgev101 will not install correctly if you try and install it after applying Plainab's Fixpack (may also be incompatible with Dudleyville fixes). I installed ComForge101 before installing the Fixpack and haven't had any errors but haven't done any testing to see if those components work.

There's a component in Plainab's fixpack which breaks some quests

2WM6uZ1.png

This component will prevent certain dialogues from firing, as there are a handful of enemies that initiate dialogue while hostile by default.

For example this prevents the Half-Ogre Arghain's dialogue from firing in AR4400 that will result in the spawning of his allies when he 'ambushes' you, causing you to miss out on the XP and items from those kills etc.

If you use this fix pack (which I am now for the first time), I'd recommend removing the above files from the override folder.

Oh shit, when did they let you out of jail?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Larian doesn't make proper role-playing games, but I bet it's still going to be some mindless D&D-flavored fun. Even though I have low expectations, I'm still looking forward to it.

Supermedo

Augur
Is there group lore mod for baldurgate EE, I'm 70 hours in and I hate shuffling items around between characters to identify an item, why won't the highest lore character identify the items when I right click or even better auto identify items.

is such busy work specially that 90% of the items you pick up are unidentified.

Ulysa

Scholar
Anybody else excited for Larian Studios to produce Baldur's Gate 3?
When I first read about it last year, yes, I was, for some reason, very excited. Why? Well I thought Larian would be that studio that would add amazing new things, revolutionizing the cRPG genre. And I thought Larian loved BG. I didn't even care if it was turn based, although I was expecting something new like simultaneous turns since Larian refused to say what combat system it was for MONTHS (whhyyyyy?).

After the first reveals like "doesn't have day/night cycle" and "4 size party" my excitement started to dwell and finally I saw that first gameplay. It felt like a kick in the stomach. Apparently Larian wasn't innovating at all because the game was exactly like DOSII and worst of all: they don't acknowledge any BG elements, story, characters. Nothing. They didn't even care to match the music, tone, UI, feeling.

At this point I'm only interested in playing it like a DOS mod in the future. I'm still salty that they are using "BG3" name.

It looks like it will be a good game, but not a Baldur's Gate game. Outside of the NPC emphasis, it looks like none of the vestiges, legacy, or character are really there. I initially had hopes that an existing IP and rule set would overcome Larians weaknesses, and the mindflayer plot gave me hope that they were respecting the IP. While that’s no longer the case, it should still be an engaging 5E game, which is something to look forward to.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is there group lore mod for baldurgate EE, I'm 70 hours in and I hate shuffling items around between characters to identify an item, why won't the highest lore character identify the items when I right click or even better auto identify items.
EEUITweaks has Auto-Identify Items component.

Daidre

Arcane
Come on, people. There is half dozen of threads around here made specifically to be shitted all over about BG 3. Could you please do not do it in the old thread that I actually watching? Pretty ple-e-ease?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, i an playing Legacy of Bhaal for BG2:EE and really wanna know. If i have "lower resist -> lower resist -> Great Malison" in a Spell trigger and after it I cast Finger of Death as a necromancer specialized wizard, would I reduce the enemy saves by 8(-2 from necro specialization, - 2 from Finger of Death spell, -4 from Great Malison) or the penalties doesn't stack? And considering that Legacy of Bhaal give bonus to enemy saves.

If yes, how likely is that this strategy would work on Firkraag(his save vs death is 3 on normal, IDK on Legacy of Bhaal) but i don't know how much legacy of bhaal makes him harder to resist. I din't reached any dragon YET.

I believe that i can SOLO SoD but ToB mainly the final chapter will be pretty hard. I honestly don't know if i can solo it. Summons are amazing on LoB

Daidre

Arcane
Guys, i an playing Legacy of Bhaal for BG2:EE and really wanna know. If i have "lower resist -> lower resist -> Great Malison" in a Spell trigger and after it I cast Finger of Death as a necromancer specialized wizard, would I reduce the enemy saves by 8(-2 from necro specialization, - 2 from Finger of Death spell, -4 from Great Malison) or the penalties doesn't stack? And considering that Legacy of Bhaal give bonus to enemy saves.
LoB gives enemies + 5 all saves. So theoretically it should be possible but I've never played SCS-less LOB to say for sure.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
LoB gives enemies + 5 all saves. So theoretically it should be possible but I've never played SCS-less LOB to say for sure.

Thanks a lot.

I was wrong, FoD targets "spell save", not "death save", And apparently LoB is bugged, so the 5 point bonus that enemy should get on LoB isn't working. Do you know what it means? So Firkraag needs to roll a 6 with an adjustment of -8. Or he needs to roll 14 or more. Of course, assuming that none, the FoD nor the Great Malison got blocked by his MR and if you are lv 20+, you can with 2 lower resist, reduce his MR from 65% to 5%.

Daidre

Arcane
I was wrong, FoD targets "spell save", not "death save", And apparently LoB is bugged, so the 5 point bonus that enemy should get on LoB isn't working.

Last time I've investigated LoB, save bonus was bugged for a very long time, but they kinda fixed it around SoD release when Beamdog re-balanced LoB so there is a lot of old and no longer valid info about it on internet.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It worked. Reached the dragon. On my first try, he feared me and i had to reload. On my second, i used SOME summons, not to damage him, but to distract while i run in between the chain contingency and the finger of death. He resisted the first finger of death but din't resisted the second. Instead of trying to deal over 9000 damage since how much HP he has, OHK spells and summons are the best way to handle Legacy of Bhaal. IDK if i can beat the last chapter of ToB but SoA, soloing seems easier than what i an expecting. The Original Baldur's Gate 2 had a Legacy of Bhaal difficulty?

Finger of Death also works amazingly well vs most enemies without requiring a chain cast of lower resistance + greater malison

SNhKjWi.png

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I was wrong, FoD targets "spell save", not "death save", And apparently LoB is bugged, so the 5 point bonus that enemy should get on LoB isn't working.

Last time I've investigated LoB, save bonus was bugged for a very long time, but they kinda fixed it around SoD release when Beamdog re-balanced LoB so there is a lot of old and no longer valid info about it on internet.
Has it been fixed? Siege of Dragonspear was released in 2016, BGEE's latest patch (2.5) in June 2018, and reports of LoB not working as intended on stock BGEE go as late as May 2020, judging by my occasional lurkdom of challenge runs on Beamdog forums. At the very least, it seems like the save bonus isn't properly enforced:
In fact your chance of success is better with low level enemies. That's because LoB does reduce the saving throw die roll by 5, but it also increases the base saving throw required by 5. For most enemies those cancel each other out. However, for weaker enemies, if the base saving throw becomes 20 or more that is treated by the game as an automatic failure - irrespective of how great the adjustment to the throw is. Hence I suspect you will find that blinding things like kobolds is always successful in your installation.

LoB sounds like tedious nonsense.
Because it mostly is. LoB also doesn't by default offer an XP boost like Heart of Fury does, and BG1EE in particular is restricted by the XP cap. So you're stuck with 161,000 XP characters battling things with bonus flat -11 AC, levels, tons of flat HP bonuses, and so on. You're generally advised to run a custom party of multiple dual/multi martials to bring enemies down a little bit faster, along with a Bard (likely Skald) to buff them / help cast disablers and maybe a Totemic Druid. LoB bonus also applies to the player-controlled summons.

Which ultimately means that you're best off abusing summons and charming / dominating NPCs to use their own inflated stats to your benefit. Due to the weird saving throw situation with the mode generally being advantageous to the player, you want to use instakill / save or die / save or suck effects to bypass the HP bloat entirely. You're genuinely more likely to kill people even with Strength drain from an Archer than through HP damage.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
LoB sounds like tedious nonsense.
Because it mostly is. LoB also doesn't by default offer an XP boost like Heart of Fury does, and BG1EE in particular is restricted by the XP cap. So you're stuck with 161,000 XP characters battling things with bonus flat -11 AC, levels, tons of flat HP bonuses, and so on. You're generally advised to run a custom party of multiple dual/multi martials to bring enemies down a little bit faster, along with a Bard (likely Skald) to buff them / help cast disablers and maybe a Totemic Druid. LoB bonus also applies to the player-controlled summons.

Depends. BG1 LoB seems like only tedium HOWEVER, Baldur's Gate 2 is a mid to high level campaign.;Finger of Death OHKills the enemy, doesn't matter if he has 1 or 100 trillion HP.

And even damaging spells, 3 skull traps in a sequencer can dealt 60d6 damage at caster level 20.

LoB also increases the amount of enemies. On the firkraag dungeon, there was far more Adamantine Golems on my LoB run than on my insane run. I only had problems VS high level casters like the optional Lich which starts the fight casting stop time, meteor swarm, protection from evil and gate in a sequence and then while you are distracted with his demon, start to cast other high level spells and require a +3 weapon to be hit, but when I got a planetar and re tried, he was not that hard.

Anyway, vampires exists on BG2 as a race there is any mod that can apply that "template" to a PC created character?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom