Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

aloeh

Novice
I'm being overwhelmed by de game. I made a shitty run in a enhanced edition and found noting of especial in it (obviously if you play the game with you ass you will not enjoy).

Reading some posts here I think to give another shot, I'm playing the original with wide-screen mod only, after many deaths, I beat my nemesis: The wolf right after recruit xzar and xul.

But, like I said, I'm overmeld by the game. I know the path a have to take, so I want to go in opposite direction to explore the game. But,
25 companions it's to much (I will not let them die) (save scum save lives).

In my shitty playthrough my team was Imoem, minsc, Dyaneris, janeyra, and Khalid.

I was thinking in a party neutral to good, just keep Imoem I think. I don't want Edwin because I stole his portrait.

After I think in make one run with a black paladin, bringing destruction to the world.

To finish, I was thinking to shift to neverwinter nights 1 or Temple of elemental evil (the games seems less overwhelming (sorry for repeating the word, can't find one better).

What you guys and lirula think?

PS. Sry for the English, I'm Brazilian and must be a lot of concordance errors.

Sodafish

Arcane
ToEE is much harder than the BG games, so if you want an easier time I wouldn't choose that next.

Cael

Arcane
I'm being overwhelmed by de game. I made a shitty run in a enhanced edition and found noting of especial in it (obviously if you play the game with you ass you will not enjoy).

Reading some posts here I think to give another shot, I'm playing the original with wide-screen mod only, after many deaths, I beat my nemesis: The wolf right after recruit xzar and xul.

But, like I said, I'm overmeld by the game. I know the path a have to take, so I want to go in opposite direction to explore the game. But,
25 companions it's to much (I will not let them die) (save scum save lives).

In my shitty playthrough my team was Imoem, minsc, Dyaneris, janeyra, and Khalid.

I was thinking in a party neutral to good, just keep Imoem I think. I don't want Edwin because I stole his portrait.

After I think in make one run with a black paladin, bringing destruction to the world.

To finish, I was thinking to shift to neverwinter nights 1 or Temple of elemental evil (the games seems less overwhelming (sorry for repeating the word, can't find one better).

What you guys and lirula think?

PS. Sry for the English, I'm Brazilian and must be a lot of concordance errors.
TOEE's interface is going to do your head in if you are used to BG. The simplest and most common combat maneuver is buried under three layers of radial menus, for example...

laclongquan

Arcane
Angelina Jolie faces are very beautiful and different from actual person. YOu can use hers for a good base.

So is Charlize Theron

EDIT: I mean using portraitai.app to change Jolie/Theron faces into others, of course.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
And about companions, who do you recommend?

Hmm, I felt good with my Char being a Fighter, Khalid (Fighter) and Jaheira (Fighter/Druid), Minsc (Ranger, good with two handed swords), Imoen and Dynaheir (Mage). With four fighters you can do massive damage. Just buy them enough heal portions and you're good. My first time I swapped Dynaheir and Minsc for Ajantis (Paladin, good fighter) and Kivan (Ranger and the most deadly killing machine you find in this game. Just give him a longbow).

As for now: just run away, until your characters reach level 2, than the game gets easier. In fact, just run away in general, pull one enemy from his group and kill them one by one. Or give most of your characters bows and run away.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kivan (Ranger and the most deadly killing machine you find in this game)
Lol, imagine not having Dex 20 and an illegal mastery in longbows.

This post was made by Coran gang.

It also goes without saying that Kivan is unplayable because his portrait is the coolest pick for a non-mage main character and his alternate one sucks.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
With Mastery in bows, even Khalid is a better archer than Kivan. Unkitted Rangers are basically just inferior Fighters in BG1 since they can't even cast spells yet.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
With Mastery in bows, even Khalid is a better archer than Kivan. Unkitted Rangers are basically just inferior Fighters in BG1 since they can't even cast spells yet.
Ok, but who would you rather spend a month traveling with?

This guy?

Or this guy?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The one who doesn't have a massive, unlubricated stick up his ass.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For good party consider Xan, Dyna is very restricted early due to ban of enchant (realy good low level) and conjuring (wands replace it though). For thievery, Alora should have highest thief skills in game if patched, because of her rabbit's foot. Yeslick you get late, but he is very good bro, and party without a dwarf is not really a party. Then again something can be said about full class clerics - in BG1 multiclerics can't reach all the cool spells, so Branwen also fits nicely into not-evil group. Faldorn is very unique, the only single class druid in the game, if you do not play pure bg1 and have access to BG2 spells, she gets Insect Plague, Ironskins & True Seeing.

Who are your fighters doesn't matter as much, because when you reach anything difficult they should be gulping potions of giant's strength. Ajantis with sword and shield is solid, so is Kivan with 2-hander, Minsc & Yeslick as an off-tank with a hammer. Bows, it is often faster to use on what can be killed with bows flame flasks, amulet of missiles & arrows of detonation.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Because it is more challenging - more than running around with bunch of 18181818, fun and companions in BG1 are funny and cute.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
yeah, BG1 companions are very interesting.
IWD would be even more interesting if they implemented companions like in BG1
even though for solitary players companions can be annoying and tedious to manage

I've been having a grand time with my BGEE run. It's been about 5-6 years since I last played the series. I'm just about to go down into the Cloakwood mines. The start was alittle bit slow, but it picked up by Nashkel. The game still holds up well though. I'm trying to not use too much metaknowledge. It will be fun to go into the SoD blind, I hope.

My expectations are low because all of the content from Beamdog and UI changes have thus far been shit. Load times are instantaneous, but they were never a problem. Thus far, the only good Beamdog content is Baeloth. Very much in the spirit of the originals. I guess the Blackpits themselves aren't bad either. I had to drop Rassad. Neera is pulling my teeth out, but I want to see SoD content. I believe she has some quests. Part of playing the EEs is to see if the critics were right.

aloeh

Novice
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm a mage, probably will get the paladin guy and the archer "Mario" Sue.

I read what I wrote, sorry for the errors, I will clarify some points.

I made a run os a baldur's gate ee, just main quest, story mode, praticaly didn't entered in any other area.

Started with Imoen, Xzar, Xul, Khalid and Jaheira. Ditched Xzar and Xul and pick Minsc and daenarys.

With this party I "finished" the game, didn't do any personal quest (even don't know if this exist in this game), didn't meet any other companion. Just the ones made by beamdog, whose I dismissed.

Like I said shitty run.

Now I'm playing the gog version of the game, with just the widescreen mod. I want play right this time

Just don't want the party killing each other or someone useless.

Your replys helped a lot

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm a mage, probably will get the paladin guy and the archer "Mario" Sue.

I read what I wrote, sorry for the errors, I will clarify some points.

I made a run os a baldur's gate ee, just main quest, story mode, praticaly didn't entered in any other area.

Started with Imoen, Xzar, Xul, Khalid and Jaheira. Ditched Xzar and Xul and pick Minsc and daenarys.

With this party I "finished" the game, didn't do any personal quest (even don't know if this exist in this game), didn't meet any other companion. Just the ones made by beamdog, whose I dismissed.

Like I said shitty run.

Now I'm playing the gog version of the game, with just the widescreen mod. I want play right this time

Just don't want the party killing each other or someone useless.

Your replys helped a lot

People here are retarded. Start as a fighter and duel to a mage at lvl 9 in BG2. Take Edwin, Jaheira (have Khalid take a naked stroll through the woods outside the inn by himself), Viconia, Safana, and Kagain. Don't be too good.

Since you finished the game once use SCS you pansy.

laclongquan

Arcane
PortraitAi.app seem to have a bias toward westerner's face, most specifically the zygomatic bone (the eye-cheek bone I think)

Most of them has high ridge, a favourite facial structure in west, but not in east (because we think it's not a good sign in women)

So it's harder than hell to create an asian face. devon aoki, Zhang Zi Yi just... western.

Fan bing bing is most likely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom