Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Someone should implement the actual "spellcaster duel" ruleset within 2E. What a massively complex, but enjoyable, shitshow that was.
but many of the spells used in "mage duels" aren't even part of 2E

Poseidon00

Arcane
but many of the spells used in "mage duels" aren't even part of 2E

Without having my book in front of me, i'm pretty sure the majority of spells used in the cleric/druid/mage duel table were implemented ingame. Enough to make the system work with some minor adjustments anyways. Spells and abilities are also really easy to create, so we could make workarounds.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Some day, perhaps. I'm not going to do my first full run with mods, especially anything that changes gameplay so drastically, although one might argue that EE already does that. Less so for BG2, but still.

It doesn't change that much if you find BG2 lack something and somehow feel fatigued by it. First time I played it originnal form. Abandoned it at some asylum-isle after Athcatla. Second time after few yearsplayed with SCS and few other similiar mods - abandoned in same place.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The spellcaster duels existed in vanilla BG2, but they didn't gain notoriety until SCS.

lmao? BG1 invented the spellcasting duel before BG2 came out. The Davaeorn duel was famous two decades ago. SCS didn't popularize them at all. Barely anyone even plays SCS.

You and oldmanpaco are the biggest SCS fan'tards I've ever seen, lmao.

But guess who has Google authority on SCS commentary AND spellcasting duels? :smug:

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The spellcaster duels existed in vanilla BG2, but they didn't gain notoriety until SCS.

lmao? BG1 invented the spellcasting duel before BG2 came out. The Davaeorn duel was famous two decades ago. SCS didn't popularize them at all. Barely anyone even plays SCS.

You and oldmanpaco are the biggest SCS fan'tards I've ever seen, lmao.

But guess who has Google authority on SCS commentary AND spellcasting duels? :smug:

SCS didn't invent them but they made them a real challenge. As Hobo Elf said in the base game once you learn the sequence every mage battle becomes the same. A little Breach, a little Greater Malison, maybe a True Sight and then let the melee types chop everyone down while the mage spams Fireball and Magic Missile. Obviously SCS doesn't matter as much in BG1 but it makes BG2 a much better game.

Also how are you possibly an SCS expert when you play on story mode? BTW how did that Dorn romance go on your last play-through?

And it's a little hurtful you didn't @ me.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
SCS didn't invent them but they made them a real challenge. As Hobo Elf said in the base game once you learn the sequence every mage battle becomes the same. A little Breach, a little Greater Malison, maybe a True Sight and then let the melee types chop everyone down.

Every SCS spellcasting duel is the same, too. I proved it in my SCS commentary. It's broken. And SCS is not real tactics, anyway. Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE -- those are tactics RPGs.

Obviously SCS doesn't matter as much in BG1

SCS doesn't exist for BG1. It only exists for BG1 in the BG2 engine, which is an abomination. Also, the original unmodded BG1 is harder than BG1 in the BG2 engine + SCS. I solo'd SCS with a Barbarian. It is much easier than soloing the original as a Fighter.

Also how are you possibly an SCS expert when you play on story mode?

I played the original BG2 + SCS. There is no storymode and no Dorn. My SCS commentary is linked above. Please show me where the storymode and Dorn romance are.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Every SCS spellcasting duel is the same, too. I proved it in my SCS commentary. It's broken. And SCS is not real tactics, anyway. Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, ToEE -- those are tactics RPGs.

So you're saying that turn-based games are more tactical than RTwP games? Jesus that's a hot take!

SCS doesn't exist for BG1. It only exists for BG1 in the BG2 engine, which is an abomination. Also, the original unmodded BG1 is harder than BG1 in the BG2 engine + SCS. I solo'd SCS with a Barbarian. It is much easier than soloing the original as a Fighter.

Well a barbarian is better equipped to solo than a fighter. And I've never understood the need to solo a party based RPG. It's just an excuse to hunt for exploits. Also, I agree that the EE version of BG1 is way easier. But back in the day SCS1 was for the original BG1. Now the only challenge with BGEE is with a full SCS install.

I played the original BG2 + SCS. There is no storymode and no Dorn. My SCS commentary is linked above. Please show me where the storymode and Dorn romance are.

IDk... You seem the type to give Dorn that back rub then deny it here.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So you're saying that turn-based games are more tactical than RTwP games? Jesus that's a hot take!

The way you and a few others ITT carry on, it's obvious that you don't know. And the IE games are more accurately referred to as round-based RPGs, not general RTwP ones. Everything is measured in intervals through initiative such as speed factors and casting times. What makes JA2, SS and ToEE more tactical is the discreteness of their turns and their precision of movement. But you'd know that if you had played them, and weren't such a close-minded BG2 fan'tard.

oldmanpaco Soloing the BG saga can be fun as a mage at least one time. You mess up the power curve and get all kinds of spells early. You get to play as an archmage well before you even leave for Spellhold. Even better if you increase the XP cap. I once modded my character to be a cleric/wild mage. So many spells. Felt like a proper godling.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
oldmanpaco Soloing the BG saga can be fun as a mage at least one time. You mess up the power curve and get all kinds of spells early. You get to play as an archmage well before you even leave for Spellhold. Even better if you increase the XP cap. I once modded my character to be a cleric/wild mage. So many spells. Felt like a proper godling.

You don't need to mod your game to be god-tier in BG2, lmao. Since your argument rests on power curve and early spells, Sorcerer is a better choice. That's what a lot of newbies like yourself don't understand: the real power of the Sorcerer rests on getting natural access to key spells not all the scrolls for which are readily itemized for mages.

In addition, Cleric is a complete waste because BG2 combat encounter design doesn't require their staying power.

When I want advice on coping with self-loathing and hormone replacement, I'll tag your name. I was speaking to Oldmanpaco about how to have fun with an electronic game. There was no argument. Then again, when a person stakes their entire self-worth on writing about an electronic game someone else made over 20 years ago, they probably need a lot of validation.

If you want an argument, then here is one: Wildmage > Sorcerer.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't care who you were talking to. You don't control who gets to respond to your ignorance on a public forum.

electronic game.

Possibly retarded +1

electronic game

Possibly retarded +2

Only when factoring in the erroneous stacking of ICS. And it's obviously easier to solo a Sorcerer than it is a Wild Mage. Obvious to everyone but you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
oldmanpaco point of clarification, SCS1 never supported BG1, it was Tutu. I forgot this too and went searching for SCS1 when I started a lilula-inspired (real) BG1 replay.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's debatable~

The usual way of playing Wild Mage is to spam high level spell with low level NRD.

But I find that I usually play NRD to get free rest than trying for high level spells, less chance for risks. Even I dont mind reload, I get tired of that when play a Wild mage.

SCS BG2's prologue? Easiest to play with a wild mage in party, because the limit on rest is circumvented by Wild Mage.

Yeah, electronic game. A thing we use for idle diversion. The terms were specifically chosen to remind you that's it's not something to base your sad and desperate existence around.

Wildmage is superior to sorcerer even without taking advantage of the NRD ability to be cast repeatedly without pause (similar to Greater Alacrity HLA). You get the extra spell slot with no restrictions. 50% of the time you're casting spells above your caster level. NRD duplicates anything in your book, which has obvious benefits--particularly once you get access to Project Image. FYI, the variable caster level also works on calculating the caster level of images and simulacra. High Hedge, Sorcerous Sundries, and Adventurer's Mart will satisfy any needs (augmented by what you find) unless you're soloing. Even then, the utility of turning your abundant Level 1 spell slots into anything else on the fly is just tremendously powerful. For a little risk, you get the most significant benefits of both sorcerers and mages in one class. By the time your PC hits Level 15, success rates are quite high. If you're playing vanilla and take advantage of sequences/contingencies to stack (Greater) Chaos Shield, surges are a non issue.

I once modified a sorcerer to have the wild mage effects and features like variable casting level, bonus spell per level, and added the wildmage spells to its spell list. That was a bunch of fun.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
No love for Watcher's Keep? Tough crowd.

Not as memorable as Durlag's Tower, but still a great addition to the game. Wish they implemented Watcher's Keep a little bit more to the game, instead of just giving you a map marker and be done with it.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Not saying it cannot be fun for people but I like a party in a party based game.
oldmanpaco point of clarification, SCS1 never supported BG1, it was Tutu. I forgot this too and went searching for SCS1 when I started a lilula-inspired (real) BG1 replay.
Really? Could gave sworn there was a bg1 version.

Fuck is SCS? These millennials and their mods. Just play to the vanilla version like a man, it's the best version.

You mean play the vanilla version like a Asian ladyboy?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
No love for Watcher's Keep? Tough crowd.

Not as memorable as Durlag's Tower, but still a great addition to the game. Wish they implemented Durlag's Keep a little bit more to the game, instead of just giving you a map marker and be done with it.

Umm, there is a questline that leads you there from Ulgoth's Beard.

CootKeeper

Augur
I'm thinking of playing the series again soon with SCS since I haven't tried it yet.

For BG1: do you guys recommend to use the BG trilogy mod or Tutu?

I used Tutu for awhile, but BGT eventually eclipsed it. Having everything in one directory under the same engine is very advantageous. If you're using EEs, I cannot comment beyond Tutu being defunct. BGT does exist for EE, but it's still a work in progress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom