Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
"widescreen mods" that let you see more area of the map than intended are just cheating

also tends to make the games unplayable, no idea how people play older games with characters 3px big and the UI barely visible

participationtrophy.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Playing BG in the original resolution would only be tolerable with an old school CRT screen. Most people don't have that and I'm guessing that probably includes you too, Rusty.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I have this nvidia scaling activated, does it say when it is in use? Is it only for games that are below my screen res? Trying to figure out what it is actually doing, but I'm not seeing anything special so far. I tried with it on and off with Star Trek Judgement Rites but I don't see any difference except that the viewing area with it on seems to be smaller?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If I have this nvidia scaling activated, does it say when it is in use? Is it only for games that are below my screen res? Trying to figure out what it is actually doing, but I'm not seeing anything special so far. I tried with it on and off with Star Trek Judgement Rites but I don't see any difference except that the viewing area with it on seems to be smaller?
A game must be running in a lesser resolution and the option integer scaling must be ticked in the nvidia panel. Set the target resolution multiplying game’s resolution by two. For example BG1 runs in 640x480 natively, driver scales it up to 1280x960. Only integer ratios work afaik (2, 4 etc), though I only tried x2 and have no idea how bigger values behave.

Parabalus

Arcane
"widescreen mods" that let you see more area of the map than intended are just cheating

also tends to make the games unplayable, no idea how people play older games with characters 3px big and the UI barely visible

There's a pause button, this isn't competitive MP.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A game must be running in a lesser resolution and the option integer scaling must be ticked in the nvidia panel. Set the target resolution multiplying game’s resolution by two. For example BG1 runs in 640x480 natively, driver scales it up to 1280x960. Only integer ratios work afaik (2, 4 etc), though I only tried x2 and have no idea how bigger values behave.

Can I ask what NVidia cards work with original BG + this scaling method? I tried a rig with a Geforce GT1030 and got grpahical issues with the original BG. Are you guys running the EE?.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Can I ask what NVidia cards work with original BG + this scaling method? I tried a rig with a Geforce GT1030 and got grpahical issues with the original BG. Are you guys running the EE?.
I am running original BG1 without TotSC. This method requires an RTX card since the integer scaling is the feature that is present in them. There’s also a free app called integer scaler, though it only works windowed (nvidia works full screen with black borders).

What kind of graphical issues are you talking about particularly? There’s a direct draw fix mod that can address some of them. Helped me, runs heavenly with no glitches at all.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

I am running original BG1 without TotSC. This method requires an RTX card since the integer scaling is the feature that is present in them. There’s also a free app called integer scaler, though it only works windowed (nvidia works full screen with black borders).

What kind of graphical issues are you talking about particularly? There’s a direct draw fix mod that can address some of them. Helped me, runs heavenly with no glitches at all.

On my NVidia 1030 arrows and ranged weapons fire at 90 degrees to the target when the character is diagonally facing the enemy. DGVoodoo fixed it, but that's a virtual video card AFAIK. So I was thinking of getting another video card just for BG.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Doesn't the fog of war make it a moot point?
Yes. But what I’ve noticed is player’s field of view is smaller than that of his character, thus it is easy to skip something of interest. Widescreen mod eliminates this.
On my NVidia 1030 arrows and ranged weapons fire at 90 degrees to the target when the character is diagonally facing the enemy.
Didn’t notice anything like that. Yes, arrows that travel diagonally are not perfectly facing a target, but that doesn’t look too out of place.

This is my first replay when I refused helping Minsc upon meeting him in Nashkel… and this retard attacked me. Definitely the most overrated character.

Also the respawn system in this game is arguably the worst thing about it.

Brancaleone

Prophet

On my NVidia 1030 arrows and ranged weapons fire at 90 degrees to the target when the character is diagonally facing the enemy. DGVoodoo fixed it, but that's a virtual video card AFAIK. So I was thinking of getting another video card just for BG.
You could try Integer Scaler and disable the Nvidia scaling, see if it changes anything.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't the fog of war make it a moot point?
Yes. But what I’ve noticed is player’s field of view is smaller than that of his character, thus it is easy to skip something of interest. Widescreen mod eliminates this.
On my NVidia 1030 arrows and ranged weapons fire at 90 degrees to the target when the character is diagonally facing the enemy.
Didn’t notice anything like that. Yes, arrows that travel diagonally are not perfectly facing a target, but that doesn’t look too out of place.

This is my first replay when I refused helping Minsc upon meeting him in Nashkel… and this retard attacked me. Definitely the most overrated character.

Also the respawn system in this game is arguably the worst thing about it.

Are you playing vanilla BG? The enemy spawn system in that was the most superior to any IE game IMO. They totally butchered it in the EE that's for sure.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are you playing vanilla BG? The enemy spawn system in that was the most superior to any IE game IMO. They totally butchered it in the EE that's for sure.
As I said earlier: 5 discs vanilla pre TotSC.
What’s superior in enemies respawning immediately as soon as you don’t “see” the respawn spot a.k.a. it is hidden by fog of war? It is literally enough just to take few steps sidewards, let the respawn spot to be covered with fog and voila you have a fresh pack of trash mobs pop out of Faerun ass. I am really curious how it is superior.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
When you have to leave anti-spawn characters in certain spots you know the spawn system is broken.
And there was always a chance of facing a large band of bandits against which you were helpless with two or four lvl 1 characters.
But at least it was more unpredictable; Gibberlings didn't always come in sixpacks, for example.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
As I said earlier: 5 discs vanilla pre TotSC.
What’s superior in enemies respawning immediately as soon as you don’t “see” the respawn spot a.k.a. it is hidden by fog of war? It is literally enough just to take few steps sidewards, let the respawn spot to be covered with fog and voila you have a fresh pack of trash mobs pop out of Faerun ass. I am really curious how it is superior.

That only happened to me with total regularity with the EE. I'm not being a retard, and saying you're really playing the EE when you're not. They certainly did respawn on the map while you were on it, but it was always a slow spawn for me, that gave the impression enemies were moving around the map as well.

Whereas in the EE it was like they were all in stealth and popping up all over.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
IIRC all engine transition mods were breaking monster spawns in BG1, setting them always to maximum. Supposedly the problem was hardcoded and impossible to fix with regular mods.
I'm assuming Beamdog didn't fix the issue?

Devastator

Learned
I refused helping Minsc upon meeting him in Nashkel… and this retard attacked me. Definitely the most overrated character
I let Minsc attack me in every playthrough and leave him dead in the street. He is nuts, but I don't find him fun like Xzar. Besides being crazy, Minsc is too loud and egocentric, but that alone shouldn't make him so intolerable. I guess his stupidity puts him over the top? In any case, good riddance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom