Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it OK to still have some degree of excitement for Baldur's Gate 3 tempered by the Codex's unbending cynicism? +M

:mob:

Melcar

Arcane
Did David Gaider ever explain why Khalid couldn't be resurrected?
No, just like how he didn't explain why Aerie can't simply cast a level 3 spell to fly.

Jaheria claims that the experimentation inflicted on Khalid is so vile as to metaphysically prevent his corpse from being revived. That's a tough sell, since True Resurrection can even bring back someone who was changed into an undead and then slain. Even obliterated creatures that have been dead for years can be brought back.

I mean would you want to be resurrected if you were butt raped to death by goblins and duergar for the amusement of a limp dicked emo beta elf?

Poseidon00

Arcane
Jesus fucking Christ, why didn't I listen :negative:

I ignored Siege of Dragonspear all this time and wanted to see if it's really that bad.

Outside of horrible (really fucking horrible, a 15 y/o with a complete set of chromosomes could come up with it) writing, who the fuck thought it's a good idea to GET RID OF COMPANIONS? I don't remember when I was this mad at a video game. All of a sudden Xan, Branwen, and Coran abandoned me, and the game forces me to take Minsc, Dynaheir, and Neera to work with... anyone.

Oh, not a problem, you say, they'll level up, you say, you filthy redditor? No, they won't. If you had ANYONE for a split second in your party in base game, they'll be stuck with that whooping 1500XP you left them with in Nashkel.

What a fucking shitshow, I hope every single one of those Beamdog parasites gets raped in Baator.

Yeah, that shit was the worst. It could have been at least redeemable if I got to have some extra large scale battles with my uber BG1 party. But no, fuck you, we couldn't get the voice actors and no voice acting = no to your companion. Garbage.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I wonder if the mm and fireball animations were slowed down for the trailer. Pretty cool.

A word on Mazzy. On one hand, her strength and speed buff abilities make her very strong early on. But I just got the strength gauntlets, making the strength buff completely redundant. As soon as I get boots of speed the same thing will happen to her speed boost, leaving me with an unremarkable fighter with crap proficiencies.

She can be one of your better fighter choices in ToB with halfling save bonuses and grandmastery in more than one weapon.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wow, you can see status effects on portraits on the load game screen.

It's pretty cool and useful.

Melcar

Arcane
khalid was a bro fuck you

this discussion is a good example of why being able to trivially resurrect anyone will destroy most stories btw
Mastery in Large Swords and Bows in the original games made him a strong NPC. I always found him better than Jaheira. The artificial low morale they gave him was more of a joke and an annoyance, but you could always work around it (and sometimes made for interesting strategic thinking).

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

this discussion is a good example of why being able to trivially resurrect anyone will destroy most stories btw
Mastery in Large Swords and Bows in the original games made him a strong NPC. I always found him better than Jaheira. The artificial low morale they gave him was more of a joke and an annoyance, but you could always work around it (and sometimes made for interesting strategic thinking).

Just give him Kiel's helmet, unless he gets gibbed before then.

Khalid’s morale problems are part of what make him memorable. In the original BG, He’s otherwise strong and will carry the party. It’s only with the introduction of the BG2 engine and extreme meta-game that he became outmoded.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After recently playing BG1, I have to say that I really appreciate the effort of making the villain (aka Sarevok) having to work to make his plans come true. Or well, it certainly feels that way anyway looking back on the manipulation, subterfuge, hiring mercs, bribing officials, playing factions against each other etc through the letters and diary you can read. Compared to many other bad guys in games that just seems to be there, already accomplished, or not having to do much except getting thwarted by you the player and only you. In BG1 I get the impression that there was a lot of hurdles to jump for good old Sarevok. I was too young to really appreciate this aspect back when, but now I think it is kinda genius.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Obviously everyone hated him

Hold on there - I'm the one that's pro-Khalid and started a discussion about him a few pages back that I would have preferred to have him in BG2 over the assortment of retards David Gaider brought in. Maybe they didn't like pairing people up, but they could have gotten around that by seperating them for Harper buisness or some other excuse.

I have a vague memory that most people of the early 2000s actually didn't like Khalid and Dynaheir and that's why they got cut. But having said that David Gaider made some weird decisions. AFAIK when it came to the Viconia romance epilogue
he killed her off
which is possibly the most retarded thing a writer could have done to that character.

It follows a theory that I've had for some time that developers often don't know what tone is set by games they work on. BG1 was never edgy and grim. I always thought it had quite an upbeat tone. But then Gaider had to go Empire Strikes Back with BG2. ANd now we're getting whatever BG3 is gonna be.

If you have to ask, permission denied.
. It just doesn't seem like real baldur's gate without rtwp
And I really hate this mindset. I have a strong preference for TB. Ironically, most of my favorite RPG's don't have turn-based combat.
Yeah, well, this is the baldur's gate thread, not the Lurker47's preference thread. The two baldur's gate games that exist are real time with pause. The fake third baldur's gate which is actually divinity original sin is turn based. It's not a mindset, it's a fact, baldur's gate games were real time with pause. You are glad the third is different from the first two. It not feeling like a real baldur's gate is a good thing to you. For people who wanted BG3 to be more similar to BG1 and 2, it's a bad thing.

I personally enjoy the fact that in BG1 and 2, having more attacks per round means the combat is over faster, rather than taking longer.

True hardcore gamers would never play a graphical RPG like Baldur's gate with its fancy schmancy graphics anyway. A real hardcore gamer plays with the VGA output from their computer against his tongue, and interprets the voltage on the pins like how people in the matrix just look at the green numbers and know what's going on.

Lurker47

Savant
Yeah, well, this is the baldur's gate thread, not the Lurker47's preference thread.
One and the same. I have crowned myself the lord of Baldur's Gate and there's nothing you can do about it.
For people who wanted BG3 to be more similar to BG1 and 2, it's a bad thing.
RTWP is stinky so I don't care. We can do the whole gamer back-and-forth on what's the TRUEST TRUE regurgitation of Baldur's Gate but at the end of the day, my RPG Codex account is older and that's a level of prestige you can never take away from me.

Yeah, well, this is the baldur's gate thread, not the Lurker47's preference thread.
One and the same. I have crowned myself the lord of Baldur's Gate and there's nothing you can do about it.
For people who wanted BG3 to be more similar to BG1 and 2, it's a bad thing.
RTWP is stinky so I don't care. We can do the whole gamer back-and-forth on what's the TRUEST TRUE regurgitation of Baldur's Gate but at the end of the day, my RPG Codex account is older and that's a level of prestige you can never take away from me.
Your logic is sound, your account is older, and your state is better. I admit defeat, all hail turn based.

baldurs.png

I just discovered I still have my BG box set from two decades ago. Everything I said about SoD was a happy little accident. No more hard feelings, everything's going to be fine now.

:love:

Sługa natury jest gotów.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I just discovered I still have my BG box set from two decades ago. Everything I said about SoD was a happy little accident. No more hard feelings, everything's going to be fine now.

:love:

Sługa natury jest gotów.
Nice! I still have my copy but unfortunately no longer have the box; I keep the disc folder and the manual inside the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion box.
Unfortunately visible is a Hello Kitty box at the bottom, which belongs to my daughter, but please don't let that spoil the rest of my stuff. I have a bunch of others buried somewhere, eventually I'd like to clean everything and keep them all in one place.
Recently I've been replaying the original Baldur's Gate, luckily my wife had the foresight to purchase the originals through GOG before Beamdogs garbage stood at the gates charging entry fees. The interface art, the non-mirrored pixel art of the characters, the late eighties Forgotten Realms font and marginalia designs, &c the game remains a masterpiece and every aesthetic decision Beamdog made appears to me to be profoundly antithetical to the basic vision. Never mind that their interlude chapter only superficially relates to module and supplemental materials; I still have my copy of Volo's Guide and nothing in gaming will ever compare to the first time I played the game with that guide, my copy of Hall of Heroes, and of the Book of Artifacts sitting next to my mouse, engaging with characters and locales and weapons brought to life directly from those pages.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
If If Viconia isn't a companion in Baldur's Gate 3, people are going to die. By my hand.

Also, wait till Larian are done with BG3 and get the rights to go back and remake BG1 & 2 for current year.

-I find preparing myself in advance for this sort of thing is usually best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom