Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best writer in RPGs is...

Kahr

Damn breast-feeding reptilian-people!:argh:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Morrowind lorefags are some of the worst.

Vamp Bloodlines' writing hit a sweet spot; it wasn't long-winded like PS:T can be.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Indeed, one of the rare RPGs in which I actually bothered to read every word.

A user named cat

Who wrote the first Two Worlds game? Yeah, whoever is responsible for "that" should be voted number 1 here. Forsooth, verily!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I tried reading the in game books in Morrowind once. They were so dreadful they made me give up on the game altogether. I don't know anything about the lore but the writing in the actual game was beyond shit.

Severian Silk

A good RPG is like a book for me. I don't see why you can't compare them.

A game like Homeworld on the other hand is like a movie. Maybe because of the action?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
skyrim-physics-horse-ps3-dawnguard.jpg

Perkel

Arcane

Vamp Bloodlines' writing hit a sweet spot; it wasn't long-winded like PS:T can be.

yeah i think this is one of the best cases where skill of writting took game to another level and not writting + setting like in case of PST.

Though PST is notch above as complete package.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't think Kirkbride's a very good writer. Trial of Vivec and C0DA are terrible. The former was just forum RP but I hate his shitty mary sue character.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

yeah i think this is one of the best cases where skill of writting took game to another level and not writting + setting like in case of PST.
My impression of Bloodlines is the opposite. The writing is mediocre and mostly carried by good VA that gives the characters some personality above their shallow stereotypes.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Potentially, Chris Bateman. While his writing in Kult: Heretic Kingdoms was just p. good, his writing in Discworld Noir (not CRPG though) was exceptionally great.

Also, Neal Hallford.

And MCA, obviously.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the "outsider genius" corner, nobody writes AD&Dish purple prose like David W. Bradley (except maybe Cleve?). Lots of ellipses and overwrought turns of phrase, but the magic is there. It is philosophical, funny, and mysterious. Just as I was looking for sample texts, I found this outstanding blog post, which basically makes the same case I wanted to. Highlights:
Bradley’s prose is distinctive, with all the positives and negatives that suggests. Often overwrought, it’s also nonetheless evocative and possessed of a certain wan, avuncular humor alongside its philosophical brooding.

Below is one relatively simple example, preceding an encounter with a king the player has been seeking in a multi-level dungeon:

Shadows dance upon the walls of the dark and gloomy cathedral, and emptiness pervades the chamber deep within every crevice…

Faded tapestries, illuminated by the candlelight, depict scenes of warring tribes and victorious battles, and you glimmer that these represent eras of history now long passed…

Once this masterful stateroom was no doubt a bustle of activity, filled with endless politics and head-rolling decisions.

Now, only the lone figure silhouetted upon the distant throne, somber, forlorn, staring out as if pondering thoughts a million miles away, breaks through the depression which so clouds this desolate, desperate arena…
In other places, text is simply used to cap an encounter in a tonally fitting manner. After killing a great sea monster the player heard about much earlier in the game (from a man who failed to slay it):

In the blood-filled waters the leviathan carcass slips back to the depths, a gruesome end to the monsterous legend…

There’ll be no trophy to adorn any marina’s walls, and perhaps this too is how it should be…

After all, real myths are hard to come by…

However one may feel about the quality of the prose (and I confess, I enjoy it despite its faults), he’s clearly providing an atmosphere and pushing at themes the game wouldn’t otherwise convey. Even a game with an unlimited budget for art, sound, and cinematics couldn’t convey Bradley’s ideas so elegantly–an attempt to remake Wizardry VII in the more cinematic style ofDragon Age or Skyrim would fail utterly. The textual element is essential–not a crutch for a game without the technological or budgetary resources to do more, but a key part of the design and vision for a thoughtful, ambitious, occasionally self-deprecating work.
There’s a strong trend of worldbuilding in post-Tolkien fantasy–settings with laboriously crafted histories and geographies that audiences are meant to enjoy learning as they go. This is especially true in the video game world, with its many Dungeons & Dragons-inspired universes. Implied settings are regaining a level of respectability, but are more common in action games than in full-fledged RPGs–I can’t recall the last RPG I played in which as little of the setting was ever revealed as in Wizardry VII.
Wizardry VII wants to talk about big ideas and it’s not shy about it. Aside from the stylized monologues (which, as in the example above, often meander around questions of existence), it’s not far into the game that the player meets “the Spirit of Life, and the spirit that unites all creation and destruction”–on a sub-quest, no less. The “maps” the player must collect (text pieces which primarily serve as clues to some of the games nastier puzzles) are formulated as spiritual and philosophical treatises on life’s journey. The true nature of the game’s ultimate artifact, too, is in line with Wizardry VII‘s interests.

In a more grounded game–in a less enigmatic, dreamlike setting, or a game where voice acting and extensive cinematics rendered characters with startling realism–Wizardry VII‘s fantasy of ideas could easily come across as pompous and overblown. But with the unique support of Bradley’s prose and careful worldbuilding that prioritizes atmosphere above fact, it’s the charming core of a game that often feels more Lewis Carroll than George R. R. Martin.

I mentioned above that I’d come back to the fact that Wizardry VII is largely one man’s vision, and I suspect Bradley’s overwhelming presence is vital to making the game’s fantasy of ideas function. There’s a sincerity and a consistency to the themes Bradley explores that would likely be difficult to maintain in a game created (or written!) by a staff of hundreds. When you privilege theme above character, you must be prepared to treat thematic consistency with the same reverence many writers hold for characters–but getting a group of creators on the same page regarding a character can be much easier than doing the same with a grand philosophical notion.
And that's why David W. Bradley is among the great RPG writers. Would not be surprised if he turned out to be a 'Thal Übermensch.

Sjukob

Arcane
My impression of Bloodlines is the opposite. The writing is mediocre and mostly carried by good VA that gives the characters some personality above their shallow stereotypes.
I agree . Protagonist's lines were especially bad , I felt like I was playing a redneck .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom