Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The City of Heroes Thread

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
So I see some shilling for Thunderspy and Homecoming. What's the best option for EU, stability and population-wise? Drama is pretty much a given for any private server, learned that with WoW. Thunderspy's page is also touting some pretty major changes everywhere. I guess, the third question is, which one's also pure enough to have the vanilla experience?

Norfleet

If you're okay with invisible GMs who check your chat, online history, and PMs to other players and ban you if you disparage them, as streamers are beginning to find out. Homecoming is great.
Man, and I thought the Cryptic GMs were harsh. At least there, I had to fight to GET them to audit me.

If you're okay with invisible GMs who check your chat, online history, and PMs to other players and ban you if you disparage them, as streamers are beginning to find out. Homecoming is great.
Man, and I thought the Cryptic GMs were harsh. At least there, I had to fight to GET them to audit me.

When the lead dev who ran a secret private server and lied, doxxed and gaslighted to an entire community for nearly a decade is put in charge of the "completely unrelated" public server that wouldn't even exist if not for the original leak and is continually lied about no longer being an active dev on their server when he clearly is. Who'd have thunk that he'd keep on doing the shaddy shit.

Also he's a fucking pedo.

image0.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you feel the need to justify yourself by citing age of consent laws, she's too young for you, bro.

Poseidon00

Arcane
That guy had the look of one, for sure. And is doesn't surprise me. Leandro is a fucking worthless human being.

Sykar

Arcane
I didn't make a comparison you dumbfuck. I merely stated that they are making nice progress which is objectively true. Thunderspy is extreme with its development, almost bonkers at times. I have not checked on Rebirth so I cannot comment on theirs. Regardless of their progress it does not change the fact that Homecoming makes nice progress.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Servers lately feel more alive then they did at launch, what with some of these bigger Super Groups doing contests and other events. Viewed a costume contest a couple months back and saw some really inspiring stuff.

Never heard of this Thunderspy server, but if it's adding more powersets might give it a look. I really just want more Mastermind henchmen.

somerandomdude

Learned
I just found out about this, and have been playing it some. I made a spines/fire brute, and have been farming AE to solo level and get drops. Fun in this game at least for me seems to revolve around having adequate resources to gear your characters, and there's no better way to get those than run a farm tank or brute. I'll mess around with the other classes doing regular stuff after I can actually afford to decently kit them. So I'm going spines/fire brute to 50 before touching anything else. Farming with a low-mid level spines/fire brute is really RNG-y. If I don't have at least 3 defense inspirations up, my HP starts getting melted quickly, and given the randomness of inspiration drops, not only is that not guaranteed, but you should consider yourself lucky if you're able to keep 3+ defense inspirations up for the whole clear, otherwise you're running back to the portal or to end the mission prematurely if you run out, which happens in most runs. That's with a mid level brute only kitted with SOs. I can barely manage +1 with 8 players and bosses enabled, but some might say that's nuts I can even do that at all, and I kind of agree.

My first character wasn't a brute, it was actually a thugs + poison mastermind, and it felt really weak, and I was really poor with most of my slots empty for like 20 levels. Then I figured out that rare salvage sells for around 500k a pop on the auction house, but I only learned that after making the brute. But even with up-to-date enhancements (SOs in every slot), thugs/poison mastermind in the mid levels is still really weak. Spines/Fire Brute was pretty powerful right out of the gate, and only got stronger as I leveled up. AOEs are king in this game, and classes that can take a beating and dish out AOE damage seem like the undisputed meta.

CC effects are sort of irrelevant when DPS can just totally annihilate packs after burning a few reds. CCs are for a group of people trying to punch above their weight on difficulty without a ton of damage, and that's the most boring way to play the game, IMO. I was on some teams like that with my mastermind, and I couldn't complain about the others, because my damage and contributions were equally shit, and you only have to do that a few times to know it's not fun.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
Yeah, I'm not an MMORPG player for quite a few reasons, but I'll try anything out if it's free and doesn't require a sub. "Stories" are just not my thing in these games. I will say that this game is better than Final Fantasy XIV, I absolutely loathed being forced to do a main story quest.

When i play these games, I play whatever gets me into the action the quickest, and that's typically farming builds. I play to level fast and unlock the powers, because the game is just way more fun once you have all your moves, so getting to that point the quickest is what suits me.

Another thing I absolutely loathe about MMORPGs are the ones too centered on team play as a necessity to level up, or playing classes that require you to team up. I don't like waiting to be invited after spamming an LFG channel, or sitting 10-20 minutes in a que, or sending messages to people trying to put something together, and if I can simply solo and get better exp gains leveling up, then I will. So, I found it extremely refreshing that I could not only do this in CoH, but do it this well.

And I already power leveled a blaster to level 50, made an alt account and multi-boxed it on my brute. I did a couple of TFs on the blaster after I hit 50, and it went pretty smoothly. I am not one of those people who is going to put a bunch of effort into finding a team, but I might take advantage of an opportunity to join one on a whim when it suits me. And for anyone who says you gotta play 1-50 normally to learn how to play the character, I'm calling 100% total bs on that, unless you're someone who's really slow on the take. It's not hard to play a blaster, the rotation is obvious, as is what to use and when, this game is on the basic side. Mostly basic IOs on this level 50 fire/energy blaster, except for 2 scirocco's sets (they're not terribly expensive) and he does what a blaster is supposed to be able to do. I'm as good as the next guy who plays a blaster using similar equipment, and I barely touched this character's rotation prior to 50.

Last edited:
Was thrilled when I learned about CoH being playable again. Returned and played it for a long time. It does a lot of things better than most modern MMO's (I'd say "all", actually, but, in fairness, I don't play any modern ones so there could be ones that do some of the uniquely cool things CoH did/does well). Reading this thread makes me want to play again. I get ridiculously addicted to creating characters, though, because the character creation is so in-depth and fun, that I would find myself getting far with one, only to have a great idea for a new one hit me and go back to the creator again and make a new one.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Another thing I absolutely loathe about MMORPGs are the ones too centered on team play as a necessity to level up, or playing classes that require you to team up. I don't like waiting to be invited after spamming an LFG channel, or sitting 10-20 minutes in a que, or sending messages to people trying to put something together, and if I can simply solo and get better exp gains leveling up, then I will. So, I found it extremely refreshing that I could not only do this in CoH, but do it this well.

Finding a group in CoH is faster than any other game, even more so in homecoming. There's just constantly groups forming at all levels and people invite just about everything to any group. and grouping is really fun in CoH don't let other mmo's bad systems spoil group coh group play for you

Poseidon00

Arcane

Finding a group in CoH is faster than any other game, even more so in homecoming. There's just constantly groups forming at all levels and people invite just about everything to any group. and grouping is really fun in CoH don't let other mmo's bad systems spoil group coh group play for you

Yeah you and just jump right in and AE farm with a group to level 50 within a couple hours, or find storyline following groups all over the place. Its really worth doing

The Decline

Arcane
I haven't logged in a couple years, but I had fun learning to abuse the market and enhancement converters to make massive amounts of inf and outfit my characters to the limit. My highest end character was a Street Fighting/Energy Aura Stalker Batman expy.

Dr1f7

Scholar
I haven't logged in a couple years, but I had fun learning to abuse the market and enhancement converters to make massive amounts of inf and outfit my characters to the limit. My highest end character was a Street Fighting/Energy Aura Stalker Batman expy.
lmao it would have never crossed my mind to play the CoH private server influence market, nice

Poseidon00

Arcane
Really enjoying a Mind Control/Martial Arts Dominator. Folds like a kitten in melee combat, as both support classes are won't to do, but there are so many ways to avoid combat altogether it's only an issue if you misplay or miscalculate. I hadn't explored much redside content before now but I think it's generally better done than the hero side. Most if not all quests have held my attention to at least a minimal degree so far.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom