Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Re CCDA, did they do some major rebalancing?

I tried my usual route of training up tailor until all my gear is reinforced (long underwear/shirt/hoodie), carve a cudgel (combined with fencing) and no encumbrance, and it used to be I could handle a ton of normal zeds without taking a scratch - not so in the last build... Not that they can kill me but I'm getting bites far too often.
Sorry for late answer but yes, i got the same impression, it's much harder to fight a lot of zombies early game. Making a spear an taking a few zombies at a time still works but is slow and annoying.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They have nerfing early game for a long time due to lack of progress on end game.

I mean really modding yourself until you become T-1000 or shoving mutagenic until you are some tentacle spider monster or maybe making a project like ULTRA DEATH MOBILE is the only endgame in the game.

With the nerfed early game I'd rather play with lower zombie spawn (0.5 - 0.7) but severely lower item spawn (0.2 - 0.3) to make at least the game long in bearable way as you need to keep moving from location to location instead chipping at zombie 1 at a time.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That wouldn't really matter for the primitive tech buildup playstyle. You can build most skills up pretty high with nothing more than rags, rocks, and wood. I suppose food might be an issue depending on settings.

PapaPetro

They have nerfing early game for a long time due to lack of progress on end game.

I mean really modding yourself until you become T-1000 or shoving mutagenic until you are some tentacle spider monster or maybe making a project like ULTRA DEATH MOBILE is the only endgame in the game.

With the nerfed early game I'd rather play with lower zombie spawn (0.5 - 0.7) but severely lower item spawn (0.2 - 0.3) to make at least the game long in bearable way as you need to keep moving from location to location instead chipping at zombie 1 at a time.

Wilderness survival (setting city size to 0) was great back when there was a bug that prevented special locations from spawning. It was legit a map with just woods, swamps, fields, and rivers.
https://i.imgur.com/NcjpZRY.png
(This "bug" https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/22827 and was patched out sadly)

I would do a naked-and-afraid innawoods start in the Spring with base 8 stats, no traits, 0 in all skills. Turn off zombies/monsters since corpses have too much useful stuff like cloths, material, and tools. Was a solid challenge. First thing was to get pine boughs and sticks to build an improvized shelter so you didn't freeze to death. Forage shrubs for food (barries and fruit are out of season). also hopefully find a liquid container. Horde rocks and withered plants for crafting. Get survival up to 2 and cooking to 1. Build a fire ring for heat. Go to swamp and pick cattails and craft them into plant fibre and food. Get birchbark to make a basket to collect more cattails and rocks. Harvest more planet fibre to turn into rags to turn into clothes and storage. Eventually you get to a stable point and can do more complex stuff like better tools, shelter, hunting, fishing, pottery, etc. The endgame is getting to metallurgy using a rock forge and charcoal kiln, but you'll need to find helicopter crashes for fresh sources of scrap metal.

Was thinking about making a mod that recreates this "bug" by disabling special locations for City Size = 0 starts. Really the most fun and challenging gameplay I've had in CDDA. Would like to have had more dangerous animals as a threat.
It was reminiscent of that Primitive Technology youtube channel.

PapaPetro

Wilderness survival (setting city size to 0) was great back when there was a bug that prevented special locations from spawning. It was legit a map with just woods, swamps, fields, and rivers.
https://i.imgur.com/NcjpZRY.png
(This "bug" https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/22827 and was patched out sadly)

I would do a naked-and-afraid innawoods start in the Spring with base 8 stats, no traits, 0 in all skills. Turn off zombies/monsters since corpses have too much useful stuff like cloths, material, and tools. Was a solid challenge. First thing was to get pine boughs and sticks to build an improvized shelter so you didn't freeze to death. Forage shrubs for food (barries and fruit are out of season). also hopefully find a liquid container. Horde rocks and withered plants for crafting. Get survival up to 2 and cooking to 1. Build a fire ring for heat. Go to swamp and pick cattails and craft them into plant fibre and food. Get birchbark to make a basket to collect more cattails and rocks. Harvest more planet fibre to turn into rags to turn into clothes and storage. Eventually you get to a stable point and can do more complex stuff like better tools, shelter, hunting, fishing, pottery, etc. The endgame is getting to metallurgy using a rock forge and charcoal kiln, but you'll need to find helicopter crashes for fresh sources of scrap metal.

Was thinking about making a mod that recreates this "bug" by disabling special locations for City Size = 0 starts. Really the most fun and challenging gameplay I've had in CDDA. Would like to have had more dangerous animals as a threat.
It was reminiscent of that Primitive Technology youtube channel.

Talked with the coder, ralreegorganon, who originally fixed the bug. He created a quick whitelist mod that recreates the map gen conditions so that it only generates nature.
https://pastebin.com/ZkReUBEA

To install, save the plaintext code as "modinfo.json" and put in a folder titled "NothingButNature" in your cdda/data/mods folder. The mod should appear in world creation in World Mods under "Nothing But Nature", then go to World Options and set Size of Cities to 0:
VtvYqhL.png

In character creation, make sure to select a custom character as you'll get an error if you select a rando since not all scenarios are available/viable due to certain start locations not existing.
I tried Wilderness Scenario and picked Naked and Afraid profession, and it worked out just fine.
https://i.imgur.com/hvxW37Q.png

If you like CDDA and want a real challenge, I recommend trying this out. I'm sure there's a lot more that can be modded on here to make it more fun but it's a good baseboard to build off of.

dextermorgan

Arcane
So I have a stash of CBMs in the deathmobile waiting to be installed and I finally find a hospital...

NjNrsuZ.png

What are the chances the Autodoc unit is functional?

dextermorgan

Arcane
And the aftermath:

KUY4nlE.png

I had an advanced electroturret guarding the truck outside so I moved it into the hospital so it would zap the zeds as they advanced on me. Worked great, the only issue were bloated/smoker zeds because they blocked its line of sight a few times.

Autodoc units were operational, unlike the medical bots :D

index.php

Arcane
The NetHack DevTeam is happy to announce the release of NetHack 3.6.3.
NetHack 3.6.3 is the official release of NetHack that follows NetHack 3.6.2. Here's a synopsis of over 190 bug fixes and over 22 game enhancements and community contributions made since the release of 3.6.2 in May 2019:
  • Fixed stale 'thrownobj' pointer for returning thrown aklys while engulfed
  • Fixed uarmh null pointer dereference if a helm of opposite alignment came off due to being polymorphed
  • Fixed 'object lost' panic when attempting to crawl of of the water during emergency disrobing/dropping
  • Running now stops when moving over engravings so you can tell where they are
  • Fixed detection of unseen/secret doors which failed to find monsters hiding under objects and failed to find monsters hiding at trap locations
  • Ensured fatal status conditions made it to disclosure and/or dumplog
  • Fixed "Bad fruit #N" warnings when saving bones with 'perm_invent' On
  • Fixed it so yellow dragons don't have green breath
  • Added several grammar corrections
  • Improved recognition of deafness for several situations including the playing of musical instruments and bribing negotiations with demon lords
  • Fixed ignoring of god's wrath when hero injured himself during altar kick
  • Fixed several cases where persistent inventory window was not updated
  • Fixed temple priests or shopkeepers moving over other monsters
  • Fixed a crash-causing bug when putting on levitation boots over a sink
  • Ensured that thrown or kicked objects will end up in bones
  • Made water go all the way to the edges of level on the Plane of Water
  • Made clouds disrupt line of sight along the edges of the Plane of Air
  • Improved and expanded usage of status highlighting percentage rules
  • Added more than 15 improvements and fixes to the curses window port
  • Added and documented significant changes to default directory choices for the Windows platform
  • Improved the layout and display of the player selection dialog used on the Windows graphical implementation
  • Improved performance of some tty versions by reducing the number of function calls made from mapglyph
  • Allowed the msdos implementation to build with curses and PDCurses
  • Over 100 other fixes and improvements
All of the fixes have been incrementally published on the public Git repository for the game. A more complete list can be found in the game's sources in doc/fixes36.3. As usual, a warning that some entries in that file may also be "spoilers".

As with all releases of the game, we appreciate your feedback. Please submit any bugs using the problem report form. Also, please check the "known bugs" list before you log a problem - somebody else may have already found it.

Happy NetHacking!
https://nethack.org/v363/release.html

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The DCSS devs changed around a bunch of stuff again, especially magic starting books and it's mostly all bad. Fuck.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyone else tried 'Door in the Woods'? Tried a few runs. Never survived beyond a day. World is very flat. It seems godawful but I'm trying my best to find something good about it.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Anyone else tried 'Door in the Woods'? Tried a few runs. Never survived beyond a day. World is very flat. It seems godawful but I'm trying my best to find something good about it.
I've played it for about 8 hours, made it to day 7 at most. There's no actual in-game goal beyond collecting experiences (sic) by surviving each day that persist between runs that you can use to unlock more characters/scenarios or give yourself some stat buffs for duration of one run. You gain 1 experience for surviving to day two, then another two for making it to day three, then progressively more for each consecutive day in a single run. It quickly turns into grinding.

What's even worse, you can also gain experiences for each hour spent at 0 sanity, but if you die at zero sanity, you lose all of them. The game is designed around this and gives the player an option to suicide with various weapons to cash out after you get some sanity back, or to cash out before you run out. The optimal play is to get some food, something to drink and something to restore sanity with, drop sanity to 0, stand in one safe place generating experiences, then eventually restore some sanity and kill yourself once you run out of food and water or when you smell trouble. It's completly braindead, but gives much better returns than trying to play the game normally. There's also a few notes with lore to collect, but they are fairly uninteresting, few and meaningless. They do restore some sanity though.

The generated world is finite, it just loops. Every 3 days or so (sometimes more often) you will "feel a presence" which means you're being pursued by a very strong, very tanky, faster than you enemy that only becomes visible when within like 3 tiles, otherwise it only leaves a red trail. It's basically a game over unless you were lucky enough to find some guns&ammo/make molotovs/etc. to deal with it.

Other than all of this, the core gameplay is pretty solid. I wouldn't call it a very good game, but it's nice enough to play one short session from time to time. I would like it a lot more if presences didn't exist and there was something to strive towards once you figure out how to survive a bit longer.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I ended up refunding it. IMO it's very undercoooked, and the gameplay loop was pretty shit. And for a focus on Lovecraft and creepiness, there just wasn't any. You start walking around and within a few steps start coming across vampires and other stuff. It's a bit silly. No build up or anything, just mindlessly run around and hope for the best.

index.php

Arcane
The NetHack DevTeam is announcing the release of NetHack 3.6.4 on December 18, 2019
NetHack 3.6.4 is the official release of NetHack that follows NetHack 3.6.3. This release corrects an exploitable buffer overflow during config file processing that was present, but undiscovered, in NetHack 3.6.0, 3.6.1, 3.6.2, and 3.6.3.

You are encouraged to update to NetHack 3.6.4 as soon as possible.

Here's a brief synopsis of the dozen or so bug fixes included in NetHack 3.6.4:

• fix potential buffer overflow when parsing run-time configuration file
  • GDBPATH and GREPPATH from sysconf or -D... on compilation command line were being processed even if PANICTRACE was disabled but only being freed at end of game when that was enabled
  • fix the article used in the message when your steed encounters a polymorph trap
  • allow teleporting onto the vibrating square
  • message "your knapsack can't accomodate any more items" when picking stuff up or removing such from container was inaccurate if there was some gold pending; vary the message rather than add more convoluted pickup code
  • dozen-ish assorted spelling/typo fixes in messages and source comments
  • wizard mode wishing for terrain would leave it unmapped if done while blind
  • wizard mode terrain wish could leave hero in water (severe vision limits) or in lava (trapped, sinking) which wasn't there any more
  • flying hero can go down (via '>') holes or trap doors instead of escaping trap
  • polymorphed hero hiding on the ceiling can now use '>' to unhide instead of being told "you can't go down here"
  • fix compilation on platforms that split the ncurses and tinfo libraries
  • Windows: allow all game files to be on a portable device via the sysconf option 'portable_device_paths'
All of the fixes have been incrementally published on the public Git repository for the game. A more complete list can be found in the game's sources in doc/fixes36.4. As usual, a warning that some entries in that file may also be "spoilers".

Existing saved games and bones files from 3.6.0 through to 3.6.3 should work with 3.6.4, assuming the same build configuration options were used.

As with all releases of the game, we appreciate your feedback. Please submit any bugs using the problem report form. Also, please check the "known bugs" list before you log a problem - somebody else may have already found it.

Happy NetHacking!
https://nethack.org/v364/release.html

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...or-based-roguelike.62701/page-11#post-6462496

680x0

Learned
Started playing the 7DRL PrincessRL after seeing ROGUELove play it on youtube. Roughly based on the jailbait JRPG Princess Maker series, it has a neat leveling system where skill use grants skill ups to the detriment of opposing skills. Doesn't have perma-death and loot drops are very minimal. A tight little game nonetheless.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Catacombs That's a map of overwold showing underground levels. Blue L's are lab tiles. Standard lab is usually as large as the one visible on the right and has a single finale room (usually with a nice reward and various dangers).

The Central Lab is massive in comparison and contains multiple finale rooms.

The game is Cataclysm DDA, of course.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Catacombs That's a map of overwold showing underground levels. Blue L's are lab tiles. Standard lab is usually as large as the one visible on the right and has a single finale room (usually with a nice reward and various dangers).

The Central Lab is massive in comparison and contains multiple finale rooms.

The game is Cataclysm DDA, of course.

I knew it was C:DDA but didn't recognize these labs ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom